XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Jaguar XKR 2001 Neutral Safety Switch location. HELP ! Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 06:08 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Transmission Jaguar XKR 2001 Neutral Safety Switch location. HELP ! Please

Hello all,
been having a few problems as of late with 2001 XKR. i have been having a stalling engine and not being able to get engine to turn over at times when in park or neutral and shifter won't come out of Park.

my mechanic (which is not a Jaguar Mechanic (good reputation) but works on Mercedes and BMW's mostly but has worked on my jaguars and done quite well up until now) !

We are stuck - the car will stall while driving, many times will start right back up and go fine sometimes a yellow transmission light comes on and stays on but goes out after while and there is no code to read pending or otherwise and a failsafe message comes up and sometime the won't turn over at all and won't come out of park, wait a few minutes and it has always started up (at this point in time).

we have gotten a P 1797 code at times but only code(high end reader). but lately no codes with stalled engine and / failsafe no start. all these things can happen at 70 MPH or 5 MPH.

He diagnosed problem as a neutral safety switch. His best guess.
i talked with several and they thought it would be a good start if not a complete fix.

i bought a neutral safety switch (new) and gave the guy a vin# he said it was correct part and that the switch was physically on the transmission itself. this is same info my mechanic received, so i ordered new switch and took to him today, he called and said there is NO neutral safety switch on transmission. he talked with dealer and they were not sure about it because the car is to old. XKR 2001 and they did a lot of part changes back then !! you can get only so much info from parts department at jaguar dealer.
They are not exactly in the biz to help others!

Any ways we are stuck and baffled. mechanic says the switch must be on gear box but no repair blow up diagram actually show it or part number.
the one diagram he has, he thinks it is # 27 on the diagram.

could anyone please shed some light on what part i need and where it is and how to change it out physically. or if you may have a better diagnosis to problem.

2001 Jaguar XKR convertible
The transmission ID is #
mercedes -benz R 140 271 26 01

the neutral safety switch part i was told was correct part and i ordered is LJA6201AD

I was always told my transmission was a ZF Transmission for the XKR!
The best, so i thought.

is this a ZF transmission?

I would appreciate the help of anyone in the KNOW.
Thanks.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:27 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

In looking at the SNG Barratts parts catalog page 114, LJA6201AD appears to be located under the J-Gate as part of the gear selector

The following 2 users liked this post by sklimii:
piper 888 (06-18-2023), vettegood (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 08:24 PM

i have that catalog and picture too diagram part # 31 at the bottom left of page 114.

it just shows a picture of the part (which is correct part ) and the name of part is gearbox rotary switch LJA 1601 AD but the picture shows the part by itself, not where it goes or comes from? what happened to the neutral safety switch that i thought i was getting and needed ?

Are the names different for same part? or is this a completely different part?
everything i read about problem called it a neutral safety switch that was bad and should be replaced!

Thank for help and reply Sklimii.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:45 PM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

I can't think of any reason for the neutral safety switch causing the car to stall. If you haven't already, make sure the cable is not binding and correctly adjusted. It doesn't take much to cause a transmission fault and starting (not stalling) issues.

The following users liked this post:
vettegood (10-31-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 10:54 PM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm thinking the same thing. A bad neutral switch would prevent the car from starting, but I'm not sure if it would cause a car to stall.

vettegood (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 02:51 AM
Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

LJA1601AD is a rotary switch used in the ZF 5HP24 transmission used in the naturally aspirated cars, so any supercharged car with the Mercedes transmission does not have this part. The neutral selector position in 4.0 XKR/XJR is reported to the engine control module and body processor by linear switch, which is located on the RH side of selector housing - picture attached.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Jaguar XKR 2001  Neutral Safety Switch location. HELP ! Please-linear-switch.jpg  
vettegood (10-31-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Default 2001 XKR problem items resolved and a sad story !

Ok Thanks for all replies. I seemed to have two different problems at the same time, one the gearbox linear switch causing failsafe warning and not being able to get out of park.

The second problem the stalling engine was due to ECM and TCM that had bad circuitry and welds.

Sent them in for rehab, they replaced many capacitors that were leaking, they baked the board and did other soldier flowing and welds by hand to the TCM- transmission module and same to the ECM engine control module . And VIOLA no more problems with the aging gal 2001 XKR.

Everything is good now drives very smooth and now even gets much better MPG between 5 and 6 more MPG's. 17/ city 24/ highway.

Here's the story coming to an end

I have had the gal for 15 almost 16 years, I am now going to buy a 2014 F-type V8 S in black and white in the next 2 days. I really thought I was going to opt for a newer XK-R and stay 2006 or older I love the body style, I thought I would appreciate but then I got to thinking about new technologies in my car so then I went for the XK - R model 2011 and went and test drove it don't care for the big bulky look and feel.
Did not like it, it was like driving a tank albeit a fast one, but really like a sedan like driving my wife's XJ8.

So now being even more confused than ever went to the local dealer and talked about the F-type, looked and test drove one V8 S and was quite impressed, it was personal and felt good more like my beautiful XKR.

I decided to buy one, went hunting online and found my new Jaguar, could not swallow the tax paid for buying from dealer so went private. Good deal beautiful car . Black and White still has 1 1/2 years of factory warranty. 495 HP, while i'm not a racer i appreciate the extra power when needed or desired and the new technologies are wonderful. I will post soon with pictures and info. Picking up wed. Very excited and at same time very melancholy about the 2001 xkr. I have learned so much and done a lot of useful mods over the years. Time to move on but with great respect for the older XKR's and their natural beauty.

Old 06-17-2023, 03:29 PM
ET1
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default P0705

Hi Guys,
I'm getting the occasional P0705 and no start because of fail safe mode on my 2003 XKR.
I bought a neutral safety switch but looked all over the sides of my gearbox and can't find its location. Could someone direct me to the right spot please? It's a ZF 6HP26.
Thanks, Evan