XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uh-Oh! Now I've done it! No more performance mods for me.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Uh-Oh! Now I've done it! No more performance mods for me.

No nothing is damaged or destroyed, I was fortunate enough to be invited to a Jaguar drive event a The Quail for this year's Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. They put me in a 2012 XK-RS, damn them!

Uh-Oh! Now I've done it! No more performance mods for me.-2011-08-19_10-26-11_124.jpg

For a track day or a "sporty" jaunt there is no doubt this is the car to tear it up in. In full sport mode with the Track setting doing about 40 I was able to get it tail happy under power with the traction control on. The exhaust was also insane. Roars, back fires, pops, blips, even when down shifting it gives a bit of a rev match the car sounds like you are at an ALMS/IMSA race. I couldn’t get on the gas too much, just not enough open road or space but the power range was crazy over 500 ft lbs of torque is noticeable in the lighter chassis. I hope to be buying my 2012 in 4-5 years. The only negative thin I can say is I am not crazy about the color options, so I'd have to find a black one, oh well!

Until then it will be comfort and convenience modifications from here on out, no use for any performance additions, unfortunately they just wont do.

Last edited by MarcB; 08-26-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

If you want that kind of performance now just buy one of Andre's Twin screw kits, a true fresh air intake & a good free flow exhaust & you will be pretty close to that in your car. Why wait 4 years when you can have it now & for a lot less money.With a few more mods you may be able to get even more power.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

My feelings also, unless you like the new shape just better or just preffer to have a more modern car, then go for XKR-S I would say. But if power would be the thing of interest (and you enjoy your classic XKR), then you can have all that already today.

I'll eat any XKR-S for lunch with my old lady

Old 08-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Sounds like you had a fun day out. Lucky you

Old 08-23-2011, 04:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds amazing - looking forward to seeing one on the road (actually, more looking forward to hearing it from the reviews I've seen!)... Jealous!

Old 08-24-2011, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

You are very lucky lol
I am happy for you , you did a good time and had fun

Old 08-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcB
No nothing is damaged or destroyed, I was fortunate enough to be invited to a Jaguar drive event a The Quail for this year's Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. They put me in a 2012 XKR-S, damn them!

Attachment 12425

For a track day or a "sporty" jaunt there is no doubt this is the car to tear it up in. In full sport mode with the Track setting doing about 40 I was able to get it tail happy under power with the traction control on. The exhaust was also insane. Roars, back fires, pops, blips, even when down shifting it gives a bit of a rev match the car sounds like you are at an ALMS/IMSA race. I couldn’t get on the gas too much, just not enough open road or space but the power range was crazy over 500 ft lbs of torque is noticeable in the lighter chassis. I hope to be buying my 2012 in 4-5 years. The only negative thin I can say is I am not crazy about the color options, so I'd have to find a black one, oh well!

Until then it will be comfort and convenience modifications from here on out, no use for any performance additions, unfortunately they just wont do.
I also drove the Dark Red XKRS at the Quail and it does ruin you for the regular one. At the Jaguar Kick off Party Thursday night, they had a black one on display. Charcoal gray is also available. That should help make your decision easier.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:28 AM

Agreed, Andre's twin screw is the way to go for pure power and if that was the only factor I certainly would go in that direction (and still probably will if/when the OEM SC gives out) but the combination of the power, transmission and chassis dynamics would be hard, if not impossible, to get our of generation XKs. Don't get me wrong I will never part with my R, I just think the XK-RS would be a nice alternative to a 911, it is a different animal.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Agreed, Andre's twin screw is the way to go for pure power and if that was the only factor I certainly would go in that direction (and still probably will if/when the OEM SC gives out) but the combination of the power, transmission and chassis dynamics would be hard, if not impossible, to get our of generation XKs. Don't get me wrong I will never part with my R, I just think the XK-RS would be a nice alternative to a 911, it is a different animal.

That is the oldest story in the book why would you wait until something fails before upgrading your supercharger??? If money is not an issue get an XKRS otherwise Andre's kit is the way to go. I have his kit as well as many other upgrades & like my car more than a new one. I have already done 3lb pulleys on 2011 cars as well as ECU upgrades & still would rather have my litte 4.0 with a twin screw. By the way I could get an XKRS when they arrive but prefer what I have.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jaxkr
That is the oldest story in the book why would you wait until something fails before upgrading your supercharger??? If money is not an issue get an XKRS otherwise Andre's kit is the way to go...
As Andre can attest I have been following the Twin Screw development since Spring of 2007, when he, Bill MacLeod and a group of others, including myself took part in a “California Cruising” drive. I have been always been a fan and promoter and would do it in a heart beat if I could.

Clearly money is the issue; if you read my initial post you would notice that I mention purchasing a XK-RS in 4-5 years with current depreciation models the car would probably be going for approximately $40K. In regards to the twin screw disposable income is limited and replacement is always easier to justify than an upgrade, I am in a maintenance mode and I cannot logically justify spending almost half the car's value on an upgrade of a fully functioning component. That is one of the reasons I am waiting. Personally I need to consider wear as I have over 106,000 miles on my car and even though it has been meticulously maintained since day one of service and I predict there will be some serious work and expense in the near future just to keep it immaculate.

So in the future I envision a Twin Screw equipped 2006 XKR convertible and a 2012 XK-RS coupe (or see what happens on Sept. 13th with the CX-16 launch)

By the way your 2000 XKR is very nice and I have to believe you have spent well over $25K in parts and labor just on the modifications, all worth it.

Last edited by MarcB; 08-27-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcB
Clearly money is the issue; if you read my initial post you would notice that I mention purchasing a XK-RS in 4-5 years with current depreciation models the car would probably be going for approximately $40K.
Good luck with that.