XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Un asked dumb question number 4593!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Un asked dumb question number 4593! Transmission Noises in bell housing

Wife comes home and says the car is making a funny rattle, noise. So I panick first and then check it out. I have her turn the key to on and listen. All kinds of stuff making noise. I think I hear the injectors charge, the throttle body chimes in with a few clicks then we turn it over. I hear the normal engine tapping, (engine is at operating temp), the the clicking sounds like is coming from the passenger side deep down. We do the whole sequence again this time I have my hand on the starter to see if I can feel anything clicking. Nothing. The noise is not from the front of the engine its definitely from the area above the starter on the passenger side.

I held the black box below the throttle body and next to the fire wall, nothing. The throttle body is not clicking the sound is below that.

Just as an aside I asked her if it shifted alright and she said not really. While going from park to reverse it would hesitate and then go into gear. Like wise form going from reverse to drive the same hesitation.

Would the A-drum act this way if it became separated, or is separating?

I hope to borrow a recording device so I can post tomorrow.

This is asking alot any ideas!

Last edited by daddyo007; 02-18-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I had the A&B drum problem on my 99xk8 but when it failed I had a transmission code P1722. Do you have a check engine light or restricted performance / failsafe indication?
http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairTransZF5HP24.htm

Old 02-05-2011, 06:51 AM

No dash board warning lights. no check engine, no restricted performance. I hope to get my daughters FLIP today to make a wave file video to post.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:02 PM

Well hear is the video. If you listen close you can hear a knocking underneath the singing of the valve train. Its is not like it was yesterday. I'm going to have to get it up to operating temp to see if it will replicate what I heard yesterday. So I guess this would be the cold start sound.

Is this valve train adjustable maybe that is the problem the valve train needs adjusting to keep the low level knocking silent?

Old 02-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

what year daddyo? Oh, no link either...did we forget to add it?

Old 02-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by daddyo007
Well hear is the video. If you listen close you can hear a knocking underneath the singing of the valve train. Its is not like it was yesterday. I'm going to have to get it up to operating temp to see if it will replicate what I heard yesterday. So I guess this would be the cold start sound.

Is this valve train adjustable maybe that is the problem the valve train needs adjusting to keep the low level knocking silent?
What video?

Old 02-06-2011, 06:20 AM

I'm trying to load video but unable to. I'll be out of pocket all day and will try again tonight. Sorry about this but thanks for your patience!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:17 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2dVGhn0ZpE

first you hear the throttle body and injectors. Then after start you hear the sewing machine sound of the valve train. But listen for the knocking it is a lower pitch. This is on a cold start.

Again no codes or dash warnings. Just this odd knock.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Daddyo
Hard to say what it is what it sounds like to me is a valve clatter. Thinking that I was correct I looked up valve adjustment and one is available for this car. Before you go digging into it you need to do a little more checking. You need to get a stethoscope http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1 from your local store and see if you can pinpoint it. You also need to check the oil that you are using, is it full and what the viscosity is.
And that is what I hear it to be. You need to see if others think the same thing before digging in.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:56 PM

A friend is going to bring me a scope tomorrow. I went by the dealer on the way home and picked up a filter just in case I wanted to change the oil. The last change was June 2010 and this change has about 2500 miles on it. The level is at the mid point on the stick. I,m now using 10W 30 Castrol Edge, upgraded from Syntec because of the change interval between the two. This is only the second change with the Edge.

I just came in from letting it come up to operating temp. The sound is only apparent at start up, then slowly goes away. I crawled all over this thing and the sound is on the drivers side.

I went by the Jag dealer and my service tech listened to it as well; I asked about the clatter and he said that was the noisey injector way on this car. The sound you need to hear is the underlying knock not the clatter.

He to suggested the oil as a cheap lets see if it makes a difference. He also asked if I had a scope. But since there are no codes he to was stumped. He suggested starting at the front of the engine where the VVT sensors are.

I do not think this is as my wife encountered any thing to do with the tranny. I believe her experience with the surge was from the ac engaging while in gear, foot slightly on the brake and with the defrosters on. I'm of the opinion the engine was reving to drive the ac compressor, was what she felt, thus the surge.

I guess its an oil change tomorrow but will go back to Syntec. maybe the edge is to edgy. But I would really doubt I'll see or hear any change because that would be to easy of a fix.

Last edited by daddyo007; 02-07-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

After the oil change get a can of BG 44K and add it to the fuel and then fill up and drive it. Then tell us what you got after a week…

Old 02-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

After the oil change get a can of BG 44K and add it to the fuel and then fill up and drive it. Then tell us what you got after a week…

Old 02-07-2011, 08:18 PM

I'll do it.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:38 AM

As I reported to Gus earlier. I opted to use the Wynn's Power Charge vs the BG 44K. That seems to be working as described on the label. Th transmission reared is ugly head so I took it to the dealer to see if the could replicate the problem. Scenario is this do a rolling stop Slow....accellarated...klunk...GO.

This is their findings....
Customer requests check drive train states hears knocking noise from rear differential area during a rolling stop at 5 mph. Aftermarket exhaust is hitting diff A frame. Test drove car. No abnormal noise from drive train. Check on rack. Normal ring and pinion backlash. Bolts tight on prop shaft. Jurid coupler has small cracks in it gave estimate. Suspect noise is comming from exhaust hitting A frame. No further action taken.

I'm not totally convinced that they are hearing the same thing I am but will have to keep driving and see. Their senior tech drove this one.

Comments?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Well $%^&. I drove the car about 200 yards and what a mess. Acceleration was way off, as in accelerate, pause, go, ticking clicking, its back in line again. After reading the K&N post makes me begin to wonder? Still no codes or engine warning lights.

In the words of a friend..........Ah Hell!!!

Old 02-13-2011, 04:33 PM

After a suggestion from Gus, thank you, I cleaned the MAF sensor and the throttle body to see if this would help anything. And the problem was I was at the head of the line at the dealer and could not get the car out for a test run. So I was playing mechanic in front of the service bays of my local Jaguar Land Rover dealer. I'm sure I was being filmed on camera some where. I guess we'll have to wait until morning to get thru the line. But I did notice the knocking was not as prevelant in the engine. It is 50+ today could be the older she gets like everything else cold weather makes things creak until you warm up. But while it was idling I crawled all around the car to listen no noise from the water pump or the driver side valve cover. The best I could tell the knocking was intermittant and coming below around the cat on the driver side. And no it was not heat dissipation popping from the exhaust pipe. We'll keep you all up to date.

I guess I still need to do the oil change when I get it back.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Arrived late to this party but could it be the issue normally described as ticking of the evaporation system valve located in the left wheel well? That is imediately next to the left cat.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 AM

I have been watching the post from h20boy, I do not have any fuel smells in the cabin as he described.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=49469

But am unsure it this would be the same situation on my 99 xk8 coupe. Are they both located in the same position?

Last edited by daddyo007; 02-14-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

mine DOES tick all the time, it only drew my attention and concern when driving around in the ice/snow at low speeds did the volume quadruple and the fuel smell was evident. But, it is always there...ticking about as loud as the injectors.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:39 PM

I went by the dealer on the way home and they had no answer because they did not want to give it to the tech until they could replicate the noise. They asked if I wanted to take it for a ride and see if I could get it to make the noise. Under hard acceleration it squeaks, squalls like a bearing or a pulley but I can't really put my finger on it. I took the care out of gear and revved the engine no real sound. So its only under a load which is really weird. Needless to say I need to go Hollywood and remove the hood strap on top of the car just to listen to find all of the damn noises. The service writer seems to think its definitely from the front of the engine. I think I'm going crazy. There are no codes lights bells or whistles going off either. But I know there is something not right.

Getting ready to sell this thing. I know shame on me. On Valentines day and everything. The red lady is pissing me off.

Do the VVT's generate any sound? No the upper tensioners have not been changed yet either. This is a reman with only 40K or so on it. I know I'm rambling but I authorized the tech's to spend a few (2) hours to see if they can pinpoint what the "f" is going on. This is over my head.

But hey she still looks good sitting still. Yard art maybe.

There could be a scooter in the very near future.

Quick Reply: Un asked dumb question number 4593!