Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update: Continetal Tires vs. Pirelli

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Update: Continetal Tires vs. Pirelli

Last month I purchased a pair of Continental Extreme Grip for my front tires (17 inch all around). This was due to my Pirelli Asimetrico zeros wearing out due to alignment issues.

When I posted my review of the Continentals as promised, it was less than flattering. An interesting turn of events led me to some new conclusions, so in the spirit of full disclosure, and frankly because anything that affects the ride of our XK8's is always intereting, I'm posting an update.

Shortly after putting the Continental on the front, we had a rainy day. This forced me to close the roof. As soon as we hit 38mph, my lady looked at me and asked "what is that noise?". I realized it was the Continental tires, the faster we went, the louder it got. The radio was off but it was loud enough to annoy. Was the ride quality different? It was hard to tell without a controlled a/b test.

I began to notice a road feel comming through the steering wheel anytime I turned the wheel at all from straight ahead/dead center. I couldn't remember if she used to be smoother, I was hoping it wasn't some issue up front. I lived with it for a few weeks.

This weekend it got to me. I decided what the heck and changed the Pirelli Zeros from the rear to the front, and put the Continental in the rear.

This was interesting. First impression: It was a feeling, a "rightness". Oh yeah, this is what the XK8 should feel like. It was clear. I actually felt a difference in the ride quality. Much smoother.

Second - Test the noise: It was gone. I did not put the roof up to see if the noise would make its way in from the rear - quit while I'm ahead. But it was certainly quieter. What kind of noise did they make? The Continentals sounded like they were covered in tiny suction cups that gripped then popped off as the tire turned. (yes this is exageratted but it works)

Third (and this surprised me the most!) - I can not get the rear wheels, now Continental, to spin! Even on our end of winter northeast sand and salt covered roads, she will not lose traction with Trac off. The 8 month old Pirellis that are now up front were always sure to spin if I turned Trac off and made a hard left or right turn from a stop (I was getting good at controlled drifts :-0). Now nothing!

This 3rd finding surprised me the most. They (the Continentals) are sticky as hell! Finding #1 was not far behind. I would never have guessed how much a difference in ride quality was dependant on the choice of front tires.

BTW, for those of you now wondering: No, the Pirellis are not sliding into understeer up front . They are sticking pretty good up there.

This should balance out my review of the Continental, what a surprise ending. So for the 0.0001% of us with two different brands of tires on their car, and for any of us who, like me, find just about any finding to do with improving ride interesting, I wanted to post this. Enjoy your ride.

John

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
cjd777 (02-21-2017), rothwell (02-21-2017)