XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade sound system to premium one

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything is clear now..... and I could be ready to do the job provided that I am able to find all the Harman Kardon Parts

I will also have to find a light grey 6 pins DIN cable and the way to take it to the radio hole and the trunk.... and find where is the multiplug that can connect the speakers to the amplifier in the trunk...

One final question: is your car with premium system having the tweeters also behind the small triangles in the doors?

Thank you a lot!

MAx

Old 01-14-2018, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

So .............. just to clarify.

On the standard system, the Passenger door speaker is wired from pins 17 & 18 on the head unit (white connector) to IC1 in the centre console, and then through another couple of connectors to the door.
On the premium system, pins 17 & 18 are not used (so you could cut those wires) and the speaker is wired from the amplifier to IC1 and then to those other connectors to the speaker.

No switches or different pins, but you would have to disconnect 6,7,8,9,17,18,19,20 wires at the head unit.

I **think** that's how it works !!

Last edited by DevonDavid; 01-14-2018 at 09:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnken (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Yes tweeters in the doors PLUS another mid-range unit in each of the rear "cabinets".

Colour of cable is not important - this will do the job :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Male-...4383.l4275.c10

It is 3 metres which should, I think, be long enough.

Edit - there's a very short "link" cable from the back of the amplifier with a male DIN plug on the end which will connect to that female DIN socket on the cable I linked to.
I DON'T know if that is hard-wired to the amplifier, or just a short cable - I can't see without removing the amplifier which is not something I want to do on a cold Sunday !!

Another edit - it will be MUCH easier to get that multicore audio cable into the trunk/boot if it is cut - finding a hole big enough for the plug or socket will me more of a challenge !

Last edited by DevonDavid; 01-14-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:09 AM

Thenk you DAvid!

The one on ebay is a 8 Pin while mine is a six, but can find one in case.

My understanding about tweeters is that they are both present behind the triangle as well as in the front console (the wiring diagram shows them connected in parallel....) is this the case in your car?

Old 01-14-2018, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I can confirm the two drivers ( tweeters) are connected in parallel. The one behind the "sail" or triangle is crossed over with a capacitor in series. I believe it's 6k Hz from memory.

FWIW replacing the marginal driver behind that triangle makes a huge improvement in sound quality and imaging.

I pulled the center mid range / tweeter pod out of a high quality 6x9 3 way speaker. Never did get around to fashioning a grill or cabinet to make it look more like a factory install, will get to that later. Come to think of it, the paint used to repair my leather seats would be a perfect match, and easy to apply.

Well wanted to share some ideas, hope it helps.

John

Old 01-14-2018, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken
I can confirm the two drivers ( tweeters) are connected in parallel. The one behind the "sail" or triangle is crossed over with a capacitor in series. I believe it's 6k Hz from memory.

FWIW replacing the marginal driver behind that triangle makes a huge improvement in sound quality and imaging.

I pulled the center mid range / tweeter pod out of a high quality 6x9 3 way speaker. Never did get around to fashioning a grill or cabinet to make it look more like a factory install, will get to that later. Come to think of it, the paint used to repair my leather seats would be a perfect match, and easy to apply.

Well wanted to share some ideas, hope it helps.

John
Thank you a lot John for your useful input!This is indeed interesting as it seems I have to find the two mid range going in the front console as well as the tweeters for the doors.Do you have a picture of your current configuration?

Old 01-14-2018, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry - yes - you are correct. It's the CD cable that has 8 pins which is the one I used to make an "aux-in" connector.

Maybe life isn't quite so simple - I just had a quick look behind my radio, and the "loom" contains the two DIN connectors, the aerial cable, and the wires for the white connector but ONLY those required for the premium system.

I suspect what you want is achievable, but maybe a little more complex than I originally thought ??

Old 01-14-2018, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
Sorry - yes - you are correct. It's the CD cable that has 8 pins which is the one I used to make an "aux-in" connector.

Maybe life isn't quite so simple - I just had a quick look behind my radio, and the "loom" contains the two DIN connectors, the aerial cable, and the wires for the white connector but ONLY those required for the premium system.

I suspect what you want is achievable, but maybe a little more complex than I originally thought ??
Hi David,Thanks for checking.So, the wires for the white connector do not include the speakers ones? This means that instead of 20 it has only 12 cables arriving to it? This makes it tricky.... but have the check the status of my yellow ic to make the necessary planning and maybe ask the part provider to also provide cutted connector for the amplifier to be scolded to current wires somehow.... will see.....

Old 01-15-2018, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

[QUOTE=DevonDavid;1825262]Sorry - yes - you are correct. It's the CD cable that has 8 pins which is the one I used to make an "aux-in" connector. /QUOTE]

Can you mark which wires are for left , right , and ground for a auxiliary input line ? This woud help alot of other people . The 2 left over not required as I assume one is for volume control and the other is a on/off command to the separate power amplifier of which both are not utilized. I'm assuming the IC14 connector follows the physical layout/pin map of the industry protocol . Is it pin # 3 which makes it a digital input mode only ? Or is it a analog signal just using the cable like in the last pic . But you couldn't get your fwd / rear fade on speaker balance .

2 = Ground

3 = Left

5 = Right ?

http://pinoutguide.com/CarAudio/Alpi...s_pinout.shtml

and

http://pinouts.ru/CarAudio/alpine_cd...r_pinout.shtml

Thanks , Parker

Attached Thumbnails Upgrade sound system to premium one-hhhhiiiy8y.png   Upgrade sound system to premium one-spectrum_2_ab_3_av_pinout.png   Upgrade sound system to premium one-94802712.qm9ra5td.jpg  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 01-15-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know about the later Alpine system which is differently wired. On the earlier HarmonKardon kit, the CD player is connected back to the head unit so - in "home audio" terms, it's just another input like the radio and tape cassette.
I could look at which pins I used, but I wouldn't assume it was the same as on the later Alpine system where the CD player is wired directly to the amplifier, and uses a specific Alpine network "protocol" which I don't really understand.

Lady Penelope (01-15-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member

In a couple of days I'll take the AJ9500A ( 1996 on a X300 ) apart further and see if the circuit board is marked as the other board for the large square connector is . The prints I have don't specify on a pinout sheet .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 01-16-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member

Mine is the AJ9600R which, as has been said, looks identical to the AJ9500A.

For an "aux in" - I cut the two audio signal leads from the CD changer back to the head unit, and put in a double-pole changeover relay wired so it switched between CD and Aux.
I have a small switch in the centre console to operate the relay.
The CD changer MUST stay powered up as the head unit still thinks it is playing a CD !!

Last edited by DevonDavid; 01-16-2018 at 03:59 AM.
Lady Penelope (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Nice clean setup . I was thinking the same as the CD must stay powered ( wire wise ) but cut out so the line in signal noise is not added to the other device line in signal . How does your installation work out functionally in practice in the box as I was thinking external pigtail lead so the device is outside so I can manipulate it ?

In all reality I do not have the hard mount CD changer but others might in their premium setup .

Old 01-16-2018, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

This applies to a 1997 convertible with Premium Harmon Kardon audio kit :

The CD cable emerges from the back of the CD changer and there's an 8 pin DIN connector just at the side of it.
I disconnected this, and added a new cable made from the Bang and Olufsen wire I linked to earlier. I cut this and re-joined all but the two audio signal wires which I took to a 2 pole changeover relay in a small plastic box in the boot/trunk. I ended up wasting a metre or so of that cable, but didn't have the problem of soldering two fiddly DIN plugs and sockets.. This also has a long (2 metre or so) stereo audio lead with a jack-plug on the end. Everything is concealed next to the CD changer so nothing is visible either in the car, or the boot / trunk.

I took this audio cable and a twin power lead through into the inside of the car. The power lead brings 12v + to a small switch and then back to the relay which has the other side of the coil permanently connected to ground.

So --------- radio (and redundant cassette player) work as normal. CD changer works as normal assuming relay is not energised. If relay is switched with the small switch in the glove box, the CD input becomes the Aux input (but the head unit still thinks it is playing a CD).

I didn't put the aux input inside the centre "box" as it's much easier to skip a track or whatever if my MP3 player or phone is lying on the passenger seat.
I didn't bother with Bluetooth, although it could fairly easily be achieved using the same sort of set-up.
The other switch in that centre compartment stops power to the aerial (antenna) which can be done by intercepting one of the wires in the multi-plug just behind the centre console.

Edit : I also (as you can see) put in a charger socket which works fine, but if the phone is charging AND playing music at the same time, there's a low-level "buzz" which I can't get rid of - what we used to all an "earth-loop" in home audio kit. Not a big deal in the great scheme of things !!

Last edited by DevonDavid; 01-16-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Lady Penelope (01-16-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 07:46 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Steering Wheel radio control on Premium Sound System

I know it has been a while since the premium sound system upgrade was discussed but I need help with another related problem.
I'm currently attempting to install an AJ9600R to my 1997 XK8 convertible which has the factory fitted HK Premium Sound system.
When I bought the car it had an aftermarket radio fitted.
Among other things, I would like to confirm which connector & which pin corresponds to the control line from the steering wheel switches to the head unit connector.
The XK8 range 1997 electrical drawing shows the control line going into the head unit on connector IC10 pin 2 for both standard & premium systems.
If IC10 is the 20 pin white connector behind the head unit then something is wrong, as my connector does not have anything connected to pin 2.
Is there something I have missed?

Old 04-16-2021, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We’re you successful?

Max, did you successfully upgrade your standard system to the premium audio system? What was the end of the story? :-)