XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper strut/shock mounts

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 03:23 PM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Upper strut/shock mounts

I'm having both upper shock mounts replaced next Monday. Everything I read or watch says to remove the upper wish bone pivot bolt and swing the wish bone to one side. Why can't the upper ball joint be disconnected at the spindle and simply lift the wish bone up? Seems there would be less chance of having a seized bolt and the extra labor to force it out or cutting it off.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

The charcoal canisters are in the way on one side, but it is possible if they are moved as I did it.

The following users liked this post:
grantorino62 (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

grantorino62, Mostly when we are doing our own, we will replace the upper "A" arm bushings, kind of a while you are in there type of thing. We also check the ball joints.
If you are trying to not replace a frozen bolt and you have no play in the bushings, I do believe you could get away with it for a while. Be informed the bolt seizes on the inter sleeve of the bushing most of the time and that would mean it is sawing the aluminum housing in to a oblong hole and will need to be replaced when you get tired of the thumping and wondering of the front end. $$$$$$$$$$$$

Just saying.

Wayne

grantorino62 (11-13-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

I thought this too and had both balljoints disconnected and the lower arm off but had no luck getting the strut out without taking out the upper wishbone.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:17 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

grantorino62: in order to drop the shock out, the fulcrum bolt has to be removed. The upper ball joint does not to be separated and can be swang out of the way. As stated above usually the bushings are replaced at the sametime and easier to clean-up the wishbone with it on the bench.

Just did this task two weeks ago so very fresh memories.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lannyl81
grantorino62: in order to drop the shock out, the fulcrum bolt has to be removed. The upper ball joint does not to be separated and can be swang out of the way. As stated above usually the bushings are replaced at the sametime and easier to clean-up the wishbone with it on the bench.

Just did this task two weeks ago so very fresh memories.

This is incorrect, my fulcrum bolt was stuck and I got my shock out.

See the pic below with the arm pushed up and the shock out.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

On a California car, I would think the Fulcrum bolt would come out with no issues... Unless a previous owner drove it on the beach in the surf.

The bolt on my Carolina/Texas car came right out.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:53 AM

RaceDiagnostic: if you say you got the shock out without removing the fulcrum then I believe you, just do not see how you did it. Although I did not give it much of a try as I was replacing wishbone bushings anyways so the fulcrum bolt had to come out.

The picture you posted only shows the rusted fulcrum bolt, do you have one that shows the wishbone position when the shock came out?

Old 11-14-2016, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

It was like this, as I said before the charcoal canister was in the way so that had to be taken out too, but will not be in that position on all cars, some have it in the rear.

Full story here, anyone with a weak stomach should not look.....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...g-worse-91230/

Old 11-14-2016, 09:21 PM

I got the car back today with new shock upper spring bushings. Mechanic said the wish bone bolts weren't that difficult! The old bushings didn't look that bad but had wrecking yard writing on them? I can't tell if it's sitting any higher, it's dark. I'll know better tomorrow in the day light.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:00 PM

RaceDiagnostics: Appears the entire wheel/hub assembly was removed, is this correct? If so, then sure the shock will drop out without removing the fulcrum bolt.

But if the wheel/hub assembly remains in place then the fulrum bolt would need to be removed.

Anyways read through the entire story.....WOW!!!....have to say that I am sure happy that I did not experience that.

Later.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

RaceDiagnostics: Appears the entire wheel/hub assembly was removed, is this correct? If so, then sure the shock will drop out without removing the fulcrum bolt.

But if the wheel/hub assembly remains in place then the fulrum bolt would need to be removed.
Lanny,

Even with the vertical link, lower wishbone, Fender liner removed, it still isn't easy to remove the strut without removing the upper wishbone. As Race said, he still had to remove the charcoal canister. I forgot what was in the way for me, but something was, so I gave up. Unless the fulcrum bolt is stuck, its less work to just remove the upper wishbone.

Upper wishbone removal on some of my other cars is way more fiddly and requires a complete front end alignment for caster/camber. In contrast, the XK8 upper wishbone removal/re-install is nearly idiot proof.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:02 PM

As promised, I drove the car today. It's about an inch higher in front. Also seems to track better, by that I mean its not affected by surface street ruts as before. The shop did remove the upper wishbone to do it.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately it wont fit that way, the top mount is too large to go though the gap between the arm and subframe.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by grantorino62
As promised, I drove the car today. It's about an inch higher in front. Also seems to track better, by that I mean its not affected by surface street ruts as before. The shop did remove the upper wishbone to do it.

Glad you got it sorted out, my car was also terrible for tram lining before I sorted out the suspension.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
Unfortunately it wont fit that way, the top mount is too large to go though the gap between the arm and subframe.
Let me repharse: with the hub assembly removed, the shock should drop down enough to clear the fender and then pulled up and out of the wishbone.

I am only guessing here as i removed the fulcrum bolt and wishbone to get the shocks out of my XK8. The charcoal canister is in the rear for my car so not in the way.

Anyways.....