XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valet Switch

Old 06-09-2014, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts
Default Valet Switch

OK, I've had my car for about a month now and am still learning my way around. I tried the Valet function one time and, at the time, I thought it worked properly. I do have a Valet key. I do remember at the time the Valet switch seemed funny as it didn't appear to move like a normal switch does but again "I thought" it worked correctly so I didn't pay it much attention.

Fast forward to today.....
I wanted to clean the inside temperature sensor behind the little grill to the right of the steering wheel as I felt my AC was not functioning correctly on auto setting. I pried off the grill and sure enough it was fun of dust, so I blew some compressed air at it and gave it a good cleaning. When I put the little grill back on the inside where the temp sensor is came loose from the lower dash panel. OK, no problem, I removed the lower dash panel to have a look, long story but fixing the temp sensor fitting was easy and now the AC does work better, even tested the little fan to be sure it worked.

Now for the Valet switch issue..
When I removed the lower dash panel I did not pay much attention to the Valet switch wire, actually forgot that there might be a connection there. So after removing the panel I noticed the back of the Valet switch and there was nothing attached to it. I looked around and finally found the wire but the fitting has no inside parts. Just a black fitting with a wire plug on it that snaps to the Valet switch housing tucked in with some other wires as if it had been there for awhile. Looked around and could not find where anything had dropped out. Put everything back together and now the Valet switch does nothing.

So either something popped out or I was mistaken the first time I tested it. Not that it really matters as I would never use this feature but I like for everything to work.

Any in site as to what is supposed to be inside this switch would be appreciated.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:09 AM
Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts

To my understanding you would like to use the valet mode when parking your car with the top down as it disables all the buttons in the car allowing access to the trunk, gascap and glovebox.