Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VVT solonoid noise and P1384 chk eng lite

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 03:48 PM
Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts
Default VVT solonoid noise and P1384 chk eng lite

Hello all 2001XK8
A few weeks back I lost an upper timing chain and tensioner, I was very lucky, no damage says my indy, and I had both upper chains and tensioners replaced, car ran great (and still does) then a few days later check engine light came on and code 1384 popped up.
I followed many threads from members here and the main suspect was low oil pressure. I drained the oil, removed the oil pan (found parts from tensioner in it) cleaned the screen and added fresh oil 10w40 (was this a heavy enough weight?) and filter.
Didn't clear issue, so today I removed the valve cover assy and pulled out the (Right side) VVT I tested it and it seems ok. So cleared code ran car for 10mls (ran Great) and turned off to re-cycle ran for 2 miles and check engine light came on and 1384 is back twice with P1000 as before.
I have noticed that at idle (approx. 700RPM ) vvt valve is cycling in and out quickly and making noise if I rev the engine a little the noise is more pronounced as the vvt cycles faster. I unplugged it while running and noise stops. Could it be a bad vvt or is it something in the ECM, just looking for some advice on where to proceed. Sorry for the long winded post but wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks all

Old 10-31-2015, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

While P1384 is typically an oil pressure issue your 10w40 should be more than adequate. I wonder about the cam alignment from your recent chain issue. Do you know if your shop used the lock down alignment method of putting everything back together?

I have, also, always been suspect of the friction fit of the exhaust chain sprocket to cam connection but have never seen any reported issues with it.

This may become an interesting solution. Keep us informed please.

The following users liked this post:
jeremys (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 06:06 PM

Thanks Test Point, I will ask . does this code always turn on Ck eng indicator , I thought this was an emissions indicator?

Old 10-31-2015, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

JTIS says electrical, oil pressure and physical. That would indicate that the electrical connections which were obviously disturbed be checked, oil pressure measured at the sensor connection at the filter and that the cam timing should be checked.

Since this issue began with the tensioner replacement I would make the assumption that the problem was placed there also.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jaguar P1384.pdf (36.1 KB, 130 views)
jeremys (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 968 Likes on 767 Posts

A few things comes to mind...

First, I've put 10w30 in a customers (X100) XK8. I don't remember the year, but it had the VVT's in the top of the valve cover and the customer supplied the unopened bottles of conventional oil. The customer called the next day to say they had a check engine light on. Came back in, read the code and was a VVT code. The oil level was correct when I checked it again. My boss and I talked about it and we came to the conclusion that we should stick to the factory recommended weight oil. 5W-30.
Changed the oil with right stuff and no more issues reported since. I'd recommend going with the 5W-30 oil first.

Second, I'd perform a continuity check on the two electric solenoids. They should measure roughly the same. I'd swap both solenoids (assuming both of them are properly connected because the connectors break easily. You have to pull both valve covers off and just swap the two VVT electric solenoids. There's only one 10mm bolt holding it down. If the CEL still comes back on, see if the code is different or same to relation of swapping solenoids.

jeremys (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 08:28 PM

I get to go out and drive real fast!! sounds like fun

Old 10-31-2015, 09:32 PM

swapping vvt's is not a little deal but will consider, current vvt seems to be ok I removed it and checked with 12v batt worked ok