Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washer Wiper control

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 06:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Washer Wiper control

Hi

I own a 1998 XK8 and posted about problems with my irratic wiper blades, they come on and off and when on they stop in the middle of the screen, washer works well.
It was suggested I replace the stalk, this I did but I still have the same problem.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Old 12-10-2017, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Hi Joe, I bet there are many like me who don't recall your original post or description. You should start again, tell us about it so we understand and can get a handle on what's happening. Please include lots of details so we can understand what you are facing.

Look forward to helping if I can Joe. John

John

Last edited by Johnken; 12-10-2017 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Was rushed now claity
Old 12-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Cool Washer wiper

John
Thanks for prompt reply.

Think the original post was under Joseph80 and not Joe Jag80, trying to sort that out with administrator.

Anyway, I bought the car a few months ago and sorted most of the teething problem but when I switch on the wipers they turn on but will either stop in the middle of the windscreen when I switch them off or when ever I put them on a certain setting it has no effect, they just wipe when they please. They always switch on but I cannot control the setting itself, either intermittent, slow, medium, fast or stop. The wipers just turn on then off when they please.
I was told it was probably the stalk and to replace it. I ordered a new one replaced it after taking the steering wheel off etc etc but the problem still remains. The wipers do not seem to do what the stalk settings state.

Hope thats answer your query. If you want any further clarification please get back to me.

Cheers

Joseph

Old 12-10-2017, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Joe, now we can get our teeth into it.

Does either your cat or your wiper switch have auto wipers? (I'm wondering if someone mismatched the switch with the presence or the lack of auto wiper feature).

On that note: does either of the wiper switches display an auto setting?

Is there a dark semi transparent area on the windshield by the rear view mirror? I don't have auto wipers so I'm going off things others have mentioned. Anyone know how to ID auto wiper sensor on mirror/windshield?

When we deal with electrical stuff like this, we have to figure out if it is plain old analog electronic switching to tell the wipers what to do (on normal, on fast, intermittent, off), or if we are dealing with digital signals to the Body Processor Module BPM to accomplish each task. The later arrangement allows all these commands to ride on 1 wire.

Guess we need to get our hands on an electric diagram. I can pull that up tomorrow.

Let's go back to basics. Is battery fully charged?

Does anyone know how wipers know how to stop along bottom of windshield? Can that be adjusted? It would be a place to start.

Joe part of me wonders if a hard reset might help. Can't hurt if you know the radio code.

Let's see if folks respond, I want to sleep on this one talk 2u tomorrow.

John

Old 12-11-2017, 04:54 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Johnken (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Joe, need 2 verify. Did you mean that you can turn wipers on whenever you want. They always turn ON ok.

The issue is that regardless of the switch's position they appear to randomly choose the speed setting. It may be normal, it may be fast, it may be intermittent. No logic applies.

You mentioned they may stop at any point on the windshield.

Verify you are saying wipers come to rest in any position. Verify whether or not the off switch position has any impact. Do they ever listen? Do they sometimes listen ( to off selection).

If they do not return to park position at bottom, is their final stop place random ? Sounds like this is related to park switch in motor.

Does pull back on wiper stalk make them move? If yes = normal 2 sweeps then rest in proper park position?

Lots of questions Joe, but need to remove ambiguity to understand.

Hey tell us: of the multiple issues you face with these wipers, what is your number 1 issue that you'd like to get fixed first above all else?

You still owe us an answer about auto wipers, could be pertinent.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 12-11-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:56 AM
Default Washer Wiper Control

Thank you for your replies. I list below the answer, hopefully to your questions:

Wipers can be turned on when a setting is chosen, its the issue of them carrying on and doing what they want to do when they want to do it.

I turn them on for one single wipe and it will carry on and then stop randomly in the middle of the screen.

Sometimes they will stop when I turn them off but often they will just carry on for another 15-20 seconds.

Pull back works but wipers will carry on for more than 15 - 20 seconds, then stop anywhere on the windscreen, randomly.

Number one issue, is them stopping when stalk returned to off position and again stopping anywhere on the windscreen.

Hopefully I have answered your queries, if there is anything else please get back to me.

To the best of my knowledge there is no auto sensor at the back of the mirror.

Thanks

Joseph

Old 12-13-2017, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

From Toasters great link, I've learned that the stop circuit is in the motor.

Anyone have better knowledge of what tells the wipers where and when to stop?