Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water/Rain got inside, electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Water/Rain got inside, electrical issues

2000 Coupe:

So here in California we just got 1/3rd our annual rain in 3 days and my car has suffered. Two days into the storm I noticed a problem.

Problem:
I cannot lock the car or release the trunk using the key fob. When I press ANY button on the key fob I hear the Error Beep from the engine bay (the one you hear if you attempt to set the alarm while a door is open)

Symptoms:
1) After driving the car, when you key has been removed, and the door is opened, the interior Ding....Ding speaker beeps as if I am leaving the headlights on.

2) Trunk interior release button does not work, Fuel filler flap switch works fine.

3) HUD (console info center) does not show any errors
- It does not say door open, hood open, or any other notification.

4) When key is removed after driving, interior lights do Not come on unless doors are opened.

5) The carpet behind the Drivers seat is soaked (This is a coupe) but seats are not wet. It is dark already and I cannot disassemble right now to trace water source. I know the rear wire harness runs across/under the two rear seats, But does anyone know if the wires run along the rear floorpan?

My JTIS cd is bugged in the electrical section so I cannot look up harness layouts.

Thank you for reading, hopefully one of you might have some direction.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Check the trunk for water sloshing around. I would look to the fuses/relays/security module before tracing harnesses. Wiring diagrams are available in GUS's web site found at the bottom of the FAQ Sticky above.

WD40 is a great product for such situations. The WD stands for 'water displacing'.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I feel you pain with this one. Like testpoint said, check the trunk. In the trunk, under the fuse box is the Security Control Module (SCM) this module controls the remote entry/door locks on the car. Mine got water in it early this spring and the remote fob wouldn't work -- at first I was getting the warning chirp you described, then nothing. Good news is, it is easy to get to the SCM. Bad news is its expensive and somewhat vehicle specific. I think jag quoted like $1200 for the module from the dealer. This is where it gets a little tricky -- apparently there are various subsets of models of the SCM. For example for the '05 model year, they might have used 5 subset of the SCM to aid with some variations for security, but not so many as to have each SCM different. It is my understanding that if you get the same subset, it should be plug and play and you're good to go without dealer programing. I got lucky and found a shop that covered me under select warranty so I never found out for sure the hard way.

Second quesion: how did that much water get in a coupe? That's what I'd be asking myself.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

good addition jnporcello - when you are speaking of a specific subset of SCMs, are you meaning he should match up a new SCM that has the same marking/part number as his current one?

Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, The problem was intermittent yesterday.

Im not sure if it is the window seals leaking or the gas filler cap.
I went to get gas while it was still pouring rain, and I noticed the small drain spout inside had plugged. If you trace that back towards the drivers door it might have been draining on the inside. Again the only place I have found water SO-FAR is on the rear carpet (drivers side).

Good news is the weather has finally broken, so I can disassemble today and check the trunk. I am going to empty the car and leave the windows down all day to dehumidify the interior.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:36 PM

0 water in the trunk. No water anywhere near the battery/relay/alarm module