XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weekend Project (Coolant system)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 04:36 PM
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Weekend Project (Coolant system)

I am taking the opportunity this weekend to drain and flush the coolant system. Also changing the short by-pass hose (showing signs of bulging) as well as a routine replacement of the thermostat. It would have taken half the time if it wasn't for the awkward jobs of loosening the coolant drain on the bottom of the radiator, and getting the lower part of the lower radiator hose off, even with using a set of hose clamp pliers!

BTW, I am changing the radiator bottom hose as it has been cut to about half of it's depth by rubbing on the plastic support fin located at the top of the radiator. I recommend everyone to check this, as you can't see it and I am sure you can imagine what would happen if you were driving along the freeway/motorway and all of a sudden your coolant was dumped all over the road!

One question I have is that there was a gasket between the thermostat cover and the alumin(i)um coolant tower, although I don't see this in the Jag parts list. Anyone else come across this before?

Thanks

Old 05-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Malcolm,

Back on land? Sorry you missed the Toccoa River Restaurant meeting! Did you see the pictures?

The split 'O' ring around the thermostat itself provides the seal at that point.

Getting the lower radiator hose spring clamp back on is about the only thing I have ever totally given up on. It cannot be done, certainly by me, without a special tool.

2ft Flexible Wire Long Reach Hose Clamp Pliers 4 Replacement Fuel Oil Water Hose | eBay

I replaced the spring clamp with a worm drive clamp and forgot about the embarrassment of auto repair failure . . . until you brought it up.

Last edited by test point; 05-16-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,786 Likes on 2,229 Posts

My hose was also worn by the fin when I replaced it. it's not obvious, but there is a top and bottom to the hose. If oriented properly it doesn't rub.
But I cut the fin back anyways.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:09 AM
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

RJ237-
I will try to orientate the hose when I replace it this morning, but I might take the ultra-safe route and cut a bit off the old hose and use some rubber glue to attach it to the new hose where the rubbing happens. I also cut back the plastic fin and smoothed it with a file.
Better safe than sorry!

Tom-
Yes, I did see the pictures and I am sorry I missed out on the lunch trip. It looked like fun. The pictures were great; shame about the Prius!

Before I even started the job yesterday I went and bought a pair of hose clamp pliers. They make life a lot easier, and I am all for that!