XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whaah

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts
Default whaah

Well nuts. I got hit on the highway the other night by a merging pickup truck. He broke my driver mirror off and sent me skittering a tad. Adding to the fun, he wouldn't stop.

It looked like the mirror was the only casualty until I got it off and discovered that under its dangling carcass were some nice souvenir dents.
That explained where all the impact I felt went.

I was planning a repaint this spring any, so I guess I'll thank the timing!

Old 02-17-2017, 11:54 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Glad you are uninsured and Hope insurance treats you well.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

This type of bad behavior is representative of the current state of the culture. It used to be that you would never think of hightailing it after hitting another car--even if it was in a parking lot with nobody else around. People had a basic sense of responsibility and morality. Last year my wife was sideswiped by someone on the freeway and she tried getting the person to pull over but they fled. Similarly just the other day another person I know had their bumper ripped off by some guy in a tow truck who promptly took off.

Sad but common statement on the culture.

Doug

Old 02-17-2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by dsd
Glad you are uninsured and Hope insurance treats you well.
I hope you meant 'insured' :-).

I picked up a mirror from the salvage yard this afternoon, swapped my correctly colored cover to it and have it back on. I'll live with the dents for a bit until I do the paint-prep body workk later on.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Now you are wishing you had re-installed the machine guns.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:33 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by mhminnich

I picked up a mirror from the salvage yard this afternoon, swapped my correctly colored cover to it and have it back on. I'll live with the dents for a bit until I do the paint-prep body workk later on.
Sorry, meant to say glad you were not injured. Cars can be repaired or replaced.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ungn
Now you are wishing you had re-installed the machine guns.
Haha. You remember those holes!

Old 02-19-2017, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by mhminnich

Last year I was going to repaint my XKR and "thanks" to an idiot in a parking lot hit and run, I only paid half. So I had a silver lining like yours.

You're ok, the cars fixable, it's all relatively good.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:11 AM

It's so covered in mud you'd never know it was even dented, or silver, or a jag. Lol

Waze in its cleverness diverted me down a dirt, excuse me, mud road after a night of heavy rain. It also failed to mention the flashing Road Closed-High Water sign I encountered part way down.

In retrospect i wish the water had been a little deeper to knock the worst of the gook of.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Be very careful with the high water crossings. The wheel bearings have zero protection from water other than the dust shields in the bearing. Water will go right into them.

When I was re doing my wheel bearings I thought I was missing an external seal, but there wasn't one.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

Be very careful with the high water crossings. The wheel bearings have zero protection from water other than the dust shields in the bearing. Water will go right into them.

When I was re doing my wheel bearings I thought I was missing an external seal, but there wasn't one.
There is no such thing as humidity, rain or standing water in England; so the design is fine.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 80sRule
There is no such thing as humidity, rain or standing water in England; so the design is fine.

I would love to hear what happened to the TOP GEAR XKR that Clarkson was drifting in the tidal flats in the XKR vs 911 vs BMW episode.

It was posted here on Youtube and I was screaming at my computer "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!". He not only ensured the destruction of the wheel bearings but also doomed the chassis to endless, hidden rust.

I'm sure it was a fun day, however.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

I would love to hear what happened to the TOP GEAR XKR that Clarkson was drifting in the tidal flats in the XKR vs 911 vs BMW episode.

It was posted here on Youtube and I was screaming at my computer "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!". He not only ensured the destruction of the wheel bearings but also doomed the chassis to endless, hidden rust.

I'm sure it was a fun day, however.
My Suzuki sportbike was actually used for a press bike. Luckily the 156HP stock made the bike very unlikely used off tarmac or even on a slightly damp day lol. I paid $900 for it given a chipped piston skirt and cracked cylinder lining (alternator gear tooth made a fantastic journey destroying a lot, including the clutch basket gear).

My advice is generally not to own a vehicle that has served press duty, it's potentially more risky than a rental car! Clarkson definitely uses them a little roughly lol.