XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the ADVANTAGE of the 170 degree thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default What is the ADVANTAGE of the 170 degree thermostat

If our cars are suposed to run Optimumly at 210 degrees (guessing,,,, this was bothering me while trying to sleep so I did not check the actual temp)

Why would you want the thermostat to open at a different temp then the manufacturer suggests...

Whats a XKR factory open at 180- 185??? Why open sooner??? Say 170 degrees like I have seen here and for sale as performance upgrades This means that your engine would take longer to warm up and it would lower your gas mileage,,,

So what is the Advantage here that I am missing...

Hurry need to get some sleep before the markets open,,, LOL

Thanks in advance just curious...

Old 02-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

As you are going for upper and lower pulleys which will seriously heat up the engine and also raise the chances of detonation on power runs,it might be a good option to do. As you already said yourself, a lower temp thermostat will give you a little bit of buffer before you heat it up. It doesn’t change engine warm-up too much, but it will stay a little lower.

Just avoid the intercooler radiator from the market you might have in mind, they are just not good at all, I speak of experience here! But if you like them I have 2 of this 2nd hand.

For our XKR's a radiator with a core size of 600x380x30mm will work the best.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:46 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Avos;

Is this another mod I have to add to the list for the Stage II upgrade with you twin screw conversion?

Are you running a lower temp thermostat?

cheers,

jj

Old 02-10-2012, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member

I did advise it when I started a couple of years back with the first manual made TS kits, and also had a lower temp stat, however now I am running a normal one again, and for street driving do not have an outspoken view on it anymore.

The following users liked this post:
jamjax (02-10-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Default Avos

"Just avoid the intercooler radiator from the market you might have in mind, they are just not good at all, I speak of experience here! But if you like them I have 2 of this 2nd hand."

If my wife and I just drive the car normally around town and cruise @85mph on the highway,,, and only ocassionally push it... Will the extra heat generated after the upgraded pulleys are added mandate some type of cooling upgrade as well... Or is that just needed for the ones who push the car and have the opportunity drive at higher speeds for longer distances more regularly,,, Like you and the others in Europe where the speed limits are higher...

I am in Florida,,, the Tropics and our ambient air temp is warmer on average...

Old 02-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Default Avos

"For our XKR's a radiator with a core size of 600x380x30mm will work the best. "

Where can this be bought???

Or does it have to be fabricated at a local shop??? If so what would be the IDEAL Intercooler,,, fin spacing,,, thickness,,, channel diameters ETC????

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by Count_Damonee; 02-10-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Most highway roads where I live have max allowed 62 mph or and some 75 mph, but just cruising at these speeds (or 85mph) shouldn’t be an issue. It becomes noticeable when you floor it i.e. short bursts of a couple of seconds without time for the system to cool down, then you will already feel the power drop as the system turns hotter. So if you use it only for a couple of seconds and then cruise again so the system can cool down, I can’t see the issue, you will only loose some horses. The better your intercooler radiator can dissipate heat the quicker you have all the horses back. Of course for longer power usage, or for example 1/4 mile runs, you definitely need to work on cooling with pulleys on the Eaton.

You would have to make custom ones as I am not aware of anyone making them. I choose 16 fpi, 8mm fin spacing and 2mm thick rows and 30mm (actually 32) thin core. Next you need a faster pump, as the flow in the radiator should not be to slow, but also not to fast so you could get a laminar flow (/layer or so) which actually hinders heat dissipation; my guesses are that the Bosch pump (Bosch Automotive 0392022002 - Bosch Intercooler Water Pumps - Overview - SummitRacing.com) would suffice, this one will flow about 10 to 15% or so more than stock.

Count_Damonee (02-10-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 12:04 PM

So if I understand- in normal driving the engine temp should be about the same and no fear of over heating or running hot in general...

If I occassionally gun the car,,, I will eventually lose horsepower due to the heat and will not re-coup the performance until the temp comes back down... But the car will cool down if I resume normal driving,,,Correct???

Sitting at an extended light or train poise a concern in your mind if the ambient air is in the high 90's???

Old 02-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

When I had the Eaton, I only had a larger lower pulley (6.8” or so iirc), and as it didn’t perform to my expectations it was short-lived and I moved on so to say ;-). That means I can’t give you guarantees for what you are looking for, that is something you need to get from the suppliers where you buy the pulleys from. However I think it should not be an issue, in principle you have knock sensors and a 2nd air temp sensor after the supercharger, which are there to avoid situations to a certain extend.

Count_Damonee (02-10-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Da Count This itch you have needs alot of scratching but you have a lovely car that is running great with loads of power that your Beautiful wife can drive without any problems.
Try to stop scratching!

Your Half Italian buddy Al

Old 02-10-2012, 12:32 PM

Hey Al- Yeah I know but I have yet to find one for me,,, and I am scratching myself RAW... She does need the belt replaced and that is all,,, But I said that IF you are gonna do that Why not do this as well,,, Kinda feeling like I am pressuring her into doing the whole thing only for my sake,,, which I might or might not do to mine when I get it,,, She would not mind a performance increase but not at the expense of the reliabilty....

And since Barrett Jackson Auto Auction is coming to Palm Beach in April,,, (Unless I find a spectacular deal before hand) I might just wait till then and see what rolls across the auction floor...

Old 02-10-2012, 12:43 PM

Good idea to have a breather. I am sure something will come along nothing worse than wondering if the car is going to overheat sitting in a traffic jam.

Good luck Al

"Don't fight the Fed"

Old 02-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

You know that a new belt is about 30$, and you can have it installed in 5 minutes (ok, 10 min is the engine is hot)?

I would take it easy for now then, and maybe just go for a lower pulley, that will lower the thermal load, and lessens the need (for occasional usage) to also invest in more cooling mods. Speeding up the eaton will also make it louder, and 2 pulleys could make it pretty annoying (at least for me, I know some love it).

Old 02-10-2012, 12:55 PM

"You know that a new belt is about 30$, and you can have it installed in 5 minutes (ok, 10 min is the engine is hot)?"

Yes and that is the way I should go for her car,,, I am trying to digest all the information and evaluate the risk reward aspect... If I was not actively looking for a similar car for me I would do it in a heartbeat.... but I do have reservations,,, One being I do not want to comprise the reliability of the car for HER...

I would care less if issues arouse because of what I did if It was my TOY ONLY... I do share the post's with her so she understands my perspective and the info from everyone here...

Old 02-10-2012, 01:39 PM

While the PBTW is partying in Vegas you could do it as a surprise and tell her you 'comped' her an upgrade.

Easier to get forgiveness than permission.

As anyone who has been to Vegas will tell you.

cheers,

jj

Old 02-10-2012, 01:53 PM

JJ You have horns !! stop winding Da Count up he is troubled enough!!

Cheers Al

Old 02-10-2012, 05:01 PM

Al;

He's a big boy, just like you.

He can take care of himself.

Besides he is too busy surfing Craigs List to notice.

cheers,

jj

Old 02-10-2012, 05:21 PM

"Besides he is too busy surfing Craigs List to notice."

Nah... I got 4 Monitors going,,, I have this page open always... and NOAA up all the time and that's just at my desk... All my Flat screen TV's are wired up to the network and with the wireless keyboard I can go anywhere in the house or on the patio where I have 2 flatscreen hanging as well and access the internet 10 TV's in total... 2 in the master bedroom if I am lazy and want to trade in bed...

Statewidelist.com gives your all the craigslist listings by state not just the county... cargurus.com and autotrader.com

Old 02-10-2012, 05:28 PM

Not that there were really any doubts but you do live large Count.

You are the only other person besides Clive Cussler that has a hot line to NOAA.

Though that 'trading in bed' begs the question of why the PBTW is off to Vegas by herself? Bad Trade?

Enjoy the surfing.

What are you going to do when you get to the end of the internet?

cheers,

jj

PS I am betting you are the other member on this thread right now.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:46 PM

"What are you going to do when you get to the end of the internet?"

Get My Pot of GOLD????

Do not live large,,, just have too much time on my hands... And not afraid to do things...Bored silly... as well,,, I told you I bought a metal detector didn't I ???

Example- we have 3 different coffee makers depending on your preference,,, Well we had a party and everyone wanted a different type,,, so I kept going over to the sink to fill the carafe with water for the coffe maker...

Not no MORE brought the water source to the coffee makers... Built my own pool complete with misters that you can control the temp on... So while you are floating on raft in the sun you can have a light or heavy mist of hot or cold water... keeping you refreshed...

Now if I can only get a "Waterproof Wireless Keyboard" then I am set... trading in the pool...

I would actually prefer to be in West End Bahamas with my buddy Jungle and the rest of the guys cooking up Turtle Stew in a big pot on an old barbque gas grill,,, looking at the water.... Only white guy in the village,,, but I have fun doing nothing there,,,,

Last edited by Count_Damonee; 02-10-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: What is the ADVANTAGE of the 170 degree thermostat