XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What shocks/struts for 2000 XK8 Convertible suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default What shocks/struts for 2000 XK8 Convertible suggestions

Buying new tires the end of this week for my 2000 XK8 and just found out yesterday that I need a lower front strut/shock bushing,passenger side.
So thought that I would ask you all what brand front and rear shocks/struts you have used on said car and are happy with?
Car has original shocks/struts on front and rear.If rears check out to be ok would you leave them alone or go ahead and replace at the same time?
On all my other rides, I would never just replace the fronts without also replacing the rears,so guess that should not be a question??But I also use to have more of a $$ flow.
Or should I just replace the front shock lower bushing?The shocks tested to all be fine,all but the lower front bushing.They have 47k on them...
Yes if I was rich I would just replace them all,but tires this week are bad enough.
Thanks for any help!

Attached Thumbnails What shocks/struts for 2000 XK8 Convertible suggestions-2000-jaguar-xk8-023.jpg  

Last edited by hemitwist; 10-04-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: wanted to add picture,will try again..
Old 10-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I'd stick with the Bilsteins, a couple others have tried KYB and another brand with less than satisfactory results.

Here's a link to a place, its exactly what I paid for mine thru an indy shop.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:33 PM

How about a pair of Koni 8241-1158 shocks in the front?Anyone have good or bad on them?For 2000 XK8.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails What shocks/struts for 2000 XK8 Convertible suggestions-2000-jaguar-xk8-022.jpg  
Old 10-10-2010, 10:30 AM

I went ahead and bought the Koni 8241-1158 shocks.I have seen them for $510.00 for the pair and a seller on Ebay has a small stock on them for only $130.00 plus shipping for the PAIR. So i jumped on them.Now i hope once installed I do not jump down the road!

Last edited by hemitwist; 10-10-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hemitwist
I went ahead and bought the Koni 8241-1158 shocks.I have seen them for $510.00 for the pair and a seller on Ebay has a small stock on them for only $130.00 plus shipping for the PAIR. So i jumped on them.Now i hope once installed I do not jump down the road!
Are you on KONI now?
What are the filings?
The rear are orginal?

Old 10-31-2010, 08:47 AM
Default Koni shocks

Sorry that I had not kept up with the post.Yes the rears are still the green originals.Yes I had gone ahead and bought that set of Koni shocks.Bought off Ebay at a great deal.Paid with shipping and fast shipping I might add,less then 70% of what I had seen them posted for at stores and such.$160.00 total I think it was,compared to $380-580.00 quote just on the 2 front shocks elsewhere.
Guessing due to the shape of the box that someone could no longer put them on a shelf to sell.Box was beat up is all.I did not keep the box so i am fine with that.They came brand new uninstalled of course.
I have them in the front only and the car rides great for once.
When i had got the 2000 XK8, both front top shocks plates and one lower passenger side front shock bushing needed replaced,so I had replaced both.New top shock plates again off Ebay from the folks suggested here.I had a glitch with that that i can get into...if asked...
The ride is great.I have no complaints.Koni is more of a racing named shock,so i am guessing"fingers crossed" that they may handle cornering better then others?With a small hand dial that you keep in you glove box so as not to loose it.You can adjust them from the top shock post/stud.I just wanted to try them since no one else had.
I had gone with the tires that h20boy had suggested and love them.I was worried with the more aggressive tread design that I would hear the tires and feel like I am back in my 4x4 truck.Not the case at all.I only have about 30 miles now on the shocks and tires so have not gone out and seen what it will do on HARD cornering or anything such of as of yet.I the past month it has only left the house 3 times.

As of right now I am waiting on a new thermostat cap again bought off Ebay for 12.34 shipped.
Car use to say add water for a few minutes when started/ran and then go back out..It did not need water.Off subject.It had a hair line crack that could only be seen from underside of the cap with it removed.The Ebay seller had sold 14.So that told me that it is a common issue,so keep a extra in the glove box or find a aluminum one that fits and will outlast the car.

But yes thanks for asking.Very please with the Koni shocks.They "may" be life time as well from Koni?May not be since bought off Ebay?Have not thought that far ahead....

Last edited by hemitwist; 10-31-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: rear stocks are still originals- forgot to say.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Veteran member

Hey, wondered if the suspension project was finished. Good job!

If you get some time, post up your details of the issue with the upper mount, so others may be aware of it if they choose this custom part over the dealer part.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:00 PM

Thanks h20,it was not much fun.I had went through 2 spring compressors before renting one from the parts store.I had used air on them rather then a wrench.A no no..First one did not last but to remove the front springs.The second spring compressor would not open up tall enough to compress enough spring.The rented one had worked fine.I did end up having to remove the bolt for the upper A arm to put the shocks/struts back on.But that was no big deal.

As far as the top shock plate mounts go...If they hold up,time will till.I would had bought original equimpment if I had it to do again.
My trouble was that i went 100% by instruction,assuming that they did this for a living and had a reason for saying what they had said.I had emailed them and asked if I was the only idiot that had done what I did? By simply following his instructions?They got quiet after they realized just what i did and that it was what they had said to do.I do not like quiet...Lets go hide crap..Face the music and help out your buyers when they do stupid things as i did.By following YOUR instructions.

Ok are you ready for it??The instructions say to drill out the 3 stock rivets on the front shock top plates with a 5/16" drill bit.First thing i did was hit the parts store for the best 5/16" steel drill bit that they had.Came home and I drilled out the rivets as said on both top shock plates. All the way through as said in instructions.
Then once i was ready to use the 3 supplied 3/16" shafted rivets for each top plate, i had a problem.My holes are ALL now drilled 1/8" to big.And no longer have a countersunk edge for the head of the rivet to lay in,as originals did.
I guess that I could had jerry rigged it and just drilled the required 3 new,3/16" holes,off centered on the plates.And bought a bit to counter sink them,instead of what i ended up doing.Or find giant 5/16" shafted rivets and a rivet gun to use them.And the counter sink bit.But i did not want to crap my 60k car back together.

I went to a wrecking yard and spent my time with no air tools to pull 2 front struts that looked like pure junk,just for the best deal on used top plates.They had rust on them so i had media blasted them and repainted them,trying to get them to look as nice as my originals that I threw in the trash can.

I then started over with no instructions needed.Just be sure to tighten the 3 nuts on your top plates as tight as you can, before drilling out the old rivets and installing the new rivets.So the rivets will be tight once you remove the mounting nuts.
Cost me $100.00 for following the instructions.
Yes a few days after the install i had thought that I could had just drilled 3/16" holes in a new spot,off center on the plates and counter sink the top plates with a counter sink bit to make the rivet head lay flat,as they should.
But when it first happened all that I wanted was new top plates to work with.Was really a mad maker to say the least.
I wondered why they had said to use a 5/16" bit.

I had even checked online from the Ebay sight that I had bought them from.Before using that large 5/16" bit.Instructions online had said the same as the paper instructions that came with it.
Would had been a easy deal if not for me being stupid and following instruction...

Last edited by hemitwist; 11-02-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:34 AM

Hi,
I`m trying to find on ebay front top shocks plates rebuild kits, but now lack. The orginal ones costs 177$ each. It`s just too much.
Could you give me the ebay contact please?
Br, Marcin.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:31 AM

Ok, I did find it.
But it`s also 145$ per side ;-(

Old 11-01-2010, 06:29 AM

Yes I also felt that they get to much to them, seeing as you have to take the top plates apart and rebuild them your self.

I should just had bought a new pair of originals.
I forget with out getting my instructions,if i did not use them to line my trash bag,what the bushing are made from.But I do think that they are better then originals.I do not see them breaking up and turning to dust as the originals did.
Just buy a 3/16" drill bit when drilling out the old rivets and you all will be fine.

Last edited by hemitwist; 11-02-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Veteran member

links are fine buddy, and Ken at Motorcars LTD will be notified so that they can consider rewriting the instructions to avoid future mistakes. Ken is the contact for that company, and has been on these forums for longer than I. I will notify him personally and explain the situation.

Thank you for sharing your experience though, and being both honest and calmly dissatisfied. For a second, I thought you were going to respond simarly to the 'duct tape' coil wire post you prepared.

Any pics of the process or were you too excited about your new 5/16 drill bit?

Old 11-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I cannot seem to find the link to Ebay where you said you purchased the upper shock mount kits, can someone help me out?

Old 11-01-2010, 12:55 PM

Name:  dixie011.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  145.0 KBName:  2000XK8newandoldshockandtopplates.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  154.2 KBHere is the only picture that I had taken.This is of the old passenger side original green shock with a very bad lower shock mount and top plate parts.They "upper mounts" crumbled like broken up wax. This made my 2000 XK8 soft top feel like a death trap at 65mph up.Steering wheel shook violently.
Then next to the old is the new red KONI adjustable shock and top plate mount,put together.

Last edited by hemitwist; 11-02-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: did not want to advertise
Old 11-02-2010, 06:53 AM

Hi,
I have one more question. Does the Koni shock absorber comes with LOWER SHOCK ABSORBER BUSH, SHOCK ABSORBER SPRING ASSISTER BUSH (yellow rubber on your picture) and this black rubber??
What is included in Koni shock package?
Br, Fishman

Old 11-02-2010, 08:46 AM

The Koni shock package from Ebay came as follows.
2 red self adjustable Koni shocks.
Lower bushings came installed on both shocks.
2 new self locking nylon threaded nuts for the top shock post.
What you are calling the yellow spring assister bushing,must had been included.
A small white plastic hand dial that you use to adjust the shocks once installed is included.
The hand dial that they supply has a arrow on it saying firmer
clockwise,i think it was.

NO,the black rubber boot is my original cleaned up.NOT INCLUDED WITH SHOCKS
I used my original coil spring and lower spring plate that the coil spring sits on.
Spring plate is on the original green shock still,in the other picture posted.

And I rebuilt the top shock plates.
Would i do it myself again,hell no!
I "may" have because of the price,bought new original shock top plates.
It rides like a sports car once again.
Now to tackle the electronic bugs with it..and hope to get them all fixed with members help

Here is the Ebay listing for the Koni shocks.
Hope this helps.
I see that in July of this year the seller was selling them for $175.00 for the pair.
So they have come down in price!

JAGUAR XK - 8 KONI SHOCKS NEW 8241-1158

A PAIR OF NEW KONI SPECIAL D ( RED)
FRONT SHOCKS FOR JAGUAR XK8 96 - 02

• Enlarge

Item condition:New

Quantity:
9 available

Price:US $130.00Buy anotherBuy anotherBuy anoth

Shipping:$32.22 Standard ShippingSee more services See shipping discounts | See all shipping detailsEstimated delivery time varies. UPS delivers within 1-5 days after seller ships item.

Seller info
Member id userid863753 ( Feedback Score Of 5296)

99.5% Positive feedback
Ask a question
Save this seller
See other items from this seller
Visit store: carbpartsdirect

Other item info

Item number:360201905165Item location:Gilroy, California, United StatesShips to:Worldwide Payments:PayPal, Visa/MasterCard See payment information

History:10 sold

Share: this item |Print this item - opens in a new window or tab|Report item
Description Shipping and payment Buying tips
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
Last updated on 06:02:44 PM PDT, Jul 27, 2010 View all revisions

Item Specifics
Condition: New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details. See all condition definitions- opens in a new window or tab... Read moreabout the condition
Part Brand: koniPlacement on Vehicle: FrontManufacturer Part Number: 8241 1158Surface Finish: --Interchange Part Number: --Warranty: --Other Part Number: --

carbpartsdirect

Visit my eB

Last edited by hemitwist; 11-02-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: good gone bad
Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Veteran member

so, at what 'rate' is your new shocks set to? Have you been able to compare it to the ride in any other xk8s or Rs?

Old 11-02-2010, 09:49 AM

It is currently parked.
Waiting on a thermostat cap.Found a hairline crack on the underside of it.
Car was saying add coolant and it did not need any.
Radiator or car never over heated or temp gauge go up.

I have my new KONI shocks set to Viper mode,aka eat *** on any XKR. kidding,calm down people.
My friends do not drive Ford's,but what few I may have here?
So all that I can compare it to is my old Mitsubishi VR4 GTO.
And it does not compare..
Your"Buddy Ken" is a quiet man...

Last edited by hemitwist; 11-02-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: lol
Old 11-02-2010, 12:24 PM

I was speaking with the seller and asked him if they fit cabrio. He said NO!!!
Is it really true? I was almost sure that cabrio shocks are the same as the coupe. At least front.
Does any of you can check it for me please.....

Edited - Hemitwist, you have Cabrio model and thay fit your car!!! So it looks that this man doesn`t knnooow what he is seling...

Last edited by fishman; 11-02-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: reflection ;-)
Old 11-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by XKR Brian
I cannot seem to find the link to Ebay where you said you purchased the upper shock mount kits, can someone help me out?
Brian, removed by hemitwist, but here it is again.

Link to Ebay ad for upper mounts.

Attached Thumbnails What shocks/struts for 2000 XK8 Convertible suggestions-ebay-ad-shockmounts.jpg  

Quick Reply: What shocks/struts for 2000 XK8 Convertible suggestions