XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is Wrong with the Brits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Perhaps Jaguar would have sold more cars in the UK if they had factored in a decent spot for that ridiculous front license plate. That would surely have been a deal breaker for me.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Check out this pic of new Jag vs our old X100

I love to see how our Jags develop over time. Especially from your pic of the E type.

Got this chance to take this pic in Bahrain

Old 07-03-2019, 12:03 AM
Received 92 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
@funracer, I'm surprised to see HUM131G, which is a 1969 number plate, parked on the street, even in Notting Hill. More than likely gets more people to look than at the Aston!
It turned my head, that’s for sure. Gave it the walk around, then on my way.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:17 AM
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by kg7657
Well - there is at least one XK8 in Winchester UK - and its blue! (Ask me how I know). Generally I buy British made cars and have always done.

Make sure you see King Arthurs Round Table at the Great Hall, King Alfreds statue near to the Guildhall, the Water Meadows and of course the Cathedral. I certainly hope you enjoy your stay and hopefully Wintonians provide a warm welcome - kind regards
We will be in Winchester for about 5 days Going there to shoot a music video. Will definitely check out the sites, local pubs, and a blue XK8.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:27 AM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If you go to Italy you also only see these german cars.
Only with some luck you can see a Fiat 500

Im sure it is the same situation allover Europe.

Daniel

Old 07-03-2019, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

During the past couple of years I have come very close to purchasing a couple of Mercedes Benz sedans (a CLS550 for me and an E350 cabriolet that my wife wanted). While M-B maintains a general reputation of superior engineering here in my neck of the woods, I did not purchase either vehicle due to my concerns with long-term reliability and high-dollar repair costs. But that CLS550 sure was exquisite and fast. I would have taken it if someone had given it to me....

Old 07-03-2019, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by stu46h
That's rather tight parking for a car like that. I would find somewhere else to park it. Like my garage.
When those in charge make you put a plate decal on the front of a car like that it's time for new people in charge! What a joke. I would be an outlaw over there.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:36 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidYau
I love to see how our Jags develop over time. Especially from your pic of the E type.

Got this chance to take this pic in Bahrain
Jags only mature into classics. They never become dated. The X100 is over twenty years old and is still a very sleek, relevant, and modern design.

The following users liked this post:
jimmiejag (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 692 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by rothwell
Perhaps Jaguar would have sold more cars in the UK if they had factored in a decent spot for that ridiculous front license plate. That would surely have been a deal breaker for me.

Yeah, that's a sin.

MiragePro (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 04:39 PM

Today, took the train to Winchester. Walked around town as they had a street fair going on. Didn't spot any XK8's or XKR's, but I did spot this nice beauty. It's a quaint proper English town with a lot of history. It could use a few more Jaguars. I'll keep looking.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:15 PM
Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts

When I was in the UK a few years ago, I saw a few Jags..... This one was Ok.....

XJ220 British Heritage Museum

DavidYau (07-03-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

While your in the UK you will have to hop on a train and come and see Malvern. Lovely hills and lovely countryside. A lot of history too. Not to mention the Morgan Factory etc.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:09 AM
GGG
Received 16,790 Likes on 12,164 Posts

Originally Posted by MiragePro
Today, took the train to Winchester. ..... It's a quaint proper English town with a lot of history. .....
But apparently no window cleaners.

Here's an XK8 pictured 300 miles north of your present location.

I don't see many Jaguars here either despite having three dealers within a twenty mile radius.

Graham

michaelh (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by frankc
While your in the UK you will have to hop on a train and come and see Malvern. Lovely hills and lovely countryside. A lot of history too. Not to mention the Morgan Factory etc.
Now that would be something to see, the Morgan factory. Unfortunately we are running out of time. After finishing our shoot there in Winchester, we will be heading to Oxford. It's been my wife's dream to walk the halls of Oxford We will be heading back to the states on the 10th, where it's too hot to drive my XK8 right now. The weather here has been fantastic, especially all those convertible owners. If I lived here, right now i would be out in the countryside cruising in my convertible.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

If I went to England, I'd be curious to go to a local car show or cruise night. Here in Texas, there's a few around every weekend, but our car shows are heavily dominated by domestic brands, i.e. Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, etc., mostly 60s muscle cars and older hot rods. When a larger show gets over 100 cars, there might be an E-type among them, maybe an MGB or Triumph, but British and European cars are rarely shown here. I kind of wonder if in England, a local weekend parking lot (car park) car show would be dominated by British brands or if it would be a mix of European brands and stuff like Ford Cortinas and Anglias? It'd be fun to attend a car show across the pond because after so many years here, you've seen one Camaro, you've seen them all.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by pdupler
If I went to England, I'd be curious to go to a local car show or cruise night. Here in Texas, there's a few around every weekend, but our car shows are heavily dominated by domestic brands, i.e. Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, etc., mostly 60s muscle cars and older hot rods. When a larger show gets over 100 cars, there might be an E-type among them, maybe an MGB or Triumph, but British and European cars are rarely shown here. I kind of wonder if in England, a local weekend parking lot (car park) car show would be dominated by British brands or if it would be a mix of European brands and stuff like Ford Cortinas and Anglias? It'd be fun to attend a car show across the pond because after so many years here, you've seen one Camaro, you've seen them all.
There actually was a Jaguar car gathering in Inverness Scotland last weekend. I was there and invited but had already scheduled to leave for Brussels on Friday so could not make it. Timing was off.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:37 AM
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep, British car shows are packed full of classic British cars, in my experience lots of MGBs & Triumphs. Then there a few European cars (Alfas, Porsches and even Volvos) plus a a corner with a couple of ridiculously oversized American cars; do American cars look smaller over there because everything else is so big, or do they always look massive???

Old 07-04-2019, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by laguillotine
Yep, British car shows are packed full of classic British cars, in my experience lots of MGBs & Triumphs. Then there a few European cars (Alfas, Porsches and even Volvos) plus a a corner with a couple of ridiculously oversized American cars; do American cars look smaller over there because everything else is so big, or do they always look massive???
Most of those oversized American cars, "boats" were manufactured before the mid 70's.After that they started producing crap to compete with the Japanese, Today the big American models are similar in size with some of the larger Mercedes, BMW's and Jags Americans are ;used to driving on wider highways and roads. .

Old 07-04-2019, 10:45 PM
Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

When in Oxford, Check out broadstreet you may find one or two nice jags parked there, But unfortunately like most city's Oxford is not car friendly and most cars will be in the park and ride's...........used peartree myself when working in Oxford.

Last edited by XKR-DAY; 07-04-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by MiragePro
Now that would be something to see, the Morgan factory. Unfortunately we are running out of time. After finishing our shoot there in Winchester, we will be heading to Oxford. It's been my wife's dream to walk the halls of Oxford We will be heading back to the states on the 10th, where it's too hot to drive my XK8 right now. The weather here has been fantastic, especially all those convertible owners. If I lived here, right now i would be out in the countryside cruising in my convertible.
Let her wander the halls and you hop on a train. Oxford to Great Malvern is an hour by train. Where my XKR convertible will be waiting.

I can take you to the Morgan Factory, very short distance from the station. Then around the Malvern Hills, past Eastnor Castle, our 17th Century pubs for a pint. Back to the station.

Just curious what exactly are you shooting?

Last edited by frankc; 07-05-2019 at 06:57 AM.

Quick Reply: What is Wrong with the Brits?