Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your occupation and age?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I'm 61, living in New Jersey USA.

Worked in telecom industry for most of my life. Went to Manhattan College, thinking back I wish I had stayed in engineering back then,, fits my interests better.

I am an avid tweaker, self taught in electric theory. This fit in nicely with one of my hobbies, audio. Guess I've spent the last 35 years upgrading and improving my stereo system at home. You'd be surprised how much you can improve just about any component with better capacitors, resistors, power supplies.

Saw the light 25 yrs ago and focused on tube based electronics + vinyl records.

Nowadays I am more into woodworking & guitar than the audio.

Like many of us, I too was a Mustang owner / advocate - then I bought a Jaguar XJ6. I always said it felt like you wwre wearing it rather than driving it. From there to my XK8 & here I am.

John

The following 3 users liked this post by Johnken:
DavidYau (09-30-2020), Redeye (09-30-2020), Timeisrelative (09-30-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 09:57 AM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

35 here, currently in parts purchasing for the local Jaguar / Land Rover dealership. Over the nine years I’ve been here I’ve worked the parts counter, wrote service, sold new and used, and enjoy my current position much more. Previously I spent a decade+ in high end jewelry. Loved it, but disliked working weekends.

First Jag was a 75 XJ6L acquired from my parent around 17. Shortly after a 74 XJ6. A couple of years later I bought an 86 XJ6 that I drove for years and really enjoyed. It met an untimely end in an ice storm in 2009. I replaced it with an 84 XJ6 that was a project car that never took off and became a parts car. Around the same time I picked up an 02 X-type that was a very sharp car at the time, and drove it for a few years. After having to rebuild the engine and sending the trans out for a rebuild I was done. Sold it, and bought an 05 XJ8L around 2008. I still have that car and drive it almost daily. Best car I’ve ever had.

Then, along came the XK8. An 00 coupe that belonged to a friend who took meticulous care of it. Garage kept, 71k miles, full service history, mint body and paint, and lived in California until just a few years ago. It popped a timing chain tensioner on him October of 2019, and I couldn’t pass the project up when offered. I acquired the car from him, and made it my winter project ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ebuild-230039/ ). I now drive it regularly, and have had to do little to it since. She’s a platinum coupe, warm charcoal interior, premium audio, and nav. Drives like a dream, and receives frequent compliments.

Customizations have included LED exterior lighting (headlights, yellow fog lights, marker lights, etc), new Pirellis, Alpine door speakers, and a small subwoofer install.

Old 10-01-2020, 02:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Late 50s, retired once already, currently un-retired working a 3/4-time International Relations management job and occasionally putting in a day or two as a laborer at a specialty sawmill (long story)... but planning to re-retire soon and paint pretty pictures in my basement to sell for wine and beer money.
Had my XK8 about a year, thus far no DIY; serviced at a Jag dealer. First Jag.
Bought a lightly used Miata back in '98 because I loved the look, reminiscent of the old British sports cars, but it starts every morning... no Lucas gremlins. Still have it, still mechanically sound, although after having been my daily driver for 22 years in snow country, the body has... um... issues. It's no longer my sexy sports car; it's my decaying and creased rust-bucket (but still fun). Shortly after buying the Mazda, I saw an XK8 and thought "that's kind of like a Miata, only waaay cooler". At $80k, it just wasn't an option.
Fast forward 21 years, and I got called back from two years of retirement. The extra income plus the pension plus the relatively low prices meant that I could actually think about buying an XK8. Searched on line for months, finally ran across an onyx white XK8 in Texas that looked good, and bought it sight unseen... but it was a recent JCNA national champion car, so I was pretty confident that it was in good shape. Flew to Texas and road-tripped it nearly 4000 miles back north to Montana via the West Coast. It is immaculate. Loving the car, intend to drive it until my license gets pulled due to old age. It will not see snow or de-icer. Now if I could just find a good '04-'06 in 'seafrost' for the wife to drive...

The following users liked this post:
Timeisrelative (10-02-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 03:16 PM
Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I spent my last 35 years working as a Master Jaguar Technician, many different jobs before that. First car was a 59 Austin Healey Bug Eye Sprite
I had to retire a few years ago when I lost my sense of balance, and sold my only Jaguar, this 98 XK 8 Coupe.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:34 PM
Received 275 Likes on 158 Posts

[QUOTE=310jag;2296899]35 here, currently in parts purchasing for the local Jaguar / Land Rover dealership. Over the nine years I’ve been here I’ve worked the parts counter, wrote service, sold new and used, and enjoy my current position much more. Previously I spent a decade+ in high end jewelry. Loved it, but disliked working weekends."

So you started at the jewelry store at 14-15?? Geeez, that's pretty good for a kid. You also sound like a good connection for parts and advise. Stick around son, we need the likes of you. LOL Thanks for chiming in, I love this thread. TM

Old 10-01-2020, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 925 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by RedSky
I spent my last 35 years working as a Master Jaguar Technician, many different jobs before that. First car was a 59 Austin Healey Bug Eye Sprite
I had to retire a few years ago when I lost my sense of balance, and sold my only Jaguar, this 98 XK 8 Coupe.
That's an extremely sad story, that's a lovely car, that's a lovely garage. Hope your balance has improved.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:23 PM
Received 275 Likes on 158 Posts

I agree, there some things in life that are just wrong. Sorry for your lose. I, on the other hand, would have just sat in the beautiful garage and revved the engine while sitting in the car. No man who has earned his Jag should ever have to give it up. That's the law (or should be). TM

crbass (10-01-2020)