XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels Damaged...by Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:00 AM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Wheels Damaged...by Dealer

I took the 03 XKR to the dealer to have a new set of tires installed. My car has 20 inch BBS wheels. The dealer really buggered up the trim rings on all four. Not sure what can be done as I`ve read these wheels are not easy to replace the trim rings. I sure am going to make some noise about it though. Any suggestions? Thanks...Craig

Old 10-27-2010, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Try calling BBS-America in Georgia, they can give your dealer the info they need.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

What can be done is that the dealer can fix this for you. They are responsible for the damage, and they have a LEGAL obligation to fix it. Don't just let this slide. If they say that there's nothing they can do, then contact BBS-America as oldmots said, get a written estimate from them as to what it will cost to fix it (including remounting the tires and rebalancing), and take the dealer to small claims court.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

What can be done is that the dealer can fix this for you. They are responsible for the damage, and they have a LEGAL obligation to fix it. Don't just let this slide. If they say that there's nothing they can do, then contact BBS-America as oldmots said, get a written estimate from them as to what it will cost to fix it (including remounting the tires and rebalancing), and take the dealer to small claims court.
Ditto, Don't let them get away with it.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

+1 on what Reverend Sam said. The trim rings are not easily fixed, there are independent shops that perform fixes but I think you have to look really hard.

Look at this previous thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=32389

Also - you have the option to buy the trim ring only:
http://www.jagwheeltrims.co.uk/

You can present the cost of each option to the offending dealer.

I have the BBS Montreals and I have some curb rashes too. I was looking for a used one recently - there's a broker for salvage yards that advertised an intact wheel for about $200 or so - but the day that I called them, they're out of stock. It's a hit or miss ..... I think it's called Automotix or something like that ....

Old 10-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,803 Likes on 7,120 Posts

A few years ago when I was still in the business one of my techs botched up a customer's wheel. As luck would have it....heh heh heh....it was a trick-wazoo-double-throw-me-down-super-custom style that was discontinued by the manufacturer. The only choice was to buy him a new set of 5 wheels of equal value...about $1400 as I recall.

Anyhow, my point is....it's the dealer's problem and they gotta do whatever they gotta do to make it right. It's called "stepping up to the plate" :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 10-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres just no excuse for damaging them, if they weren`t sure about doing the job properly they should`ve farmed the work out to someone who could.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dervdave
Theres just no excuse for damaging them, if they weren`t sure about doing the job properly they should`ve farmed the work out to someone who could.

All those who have never made a mistake please stand up and be counted.

I'm not familiar with the wheels or the *exact* nature of the mistake so far be it from me to judge how excusable it might...or might not...have been. They probably didn't realize there would be a problem until there WAS a problem. Now they know.... and now they have to makes things right.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

The BBS split rims are worth about $1200 each in good condition and are no longer available new. Replacing the trim rings requires splitting the wheel which is not a casual job, it needs to be done by someone familiar with the wheel. Repairing ONE could run about$400-$500. The many bolts are likely to be stuck and they are titanium, it just goes on from there. The drums are no longer available so if one gets damaged during repair, it's a big deal.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Well if the shop balks at paying for their replacement, report it to your insurance company and let them go after the shop. That's what you pay your insurance premiums for, after all....

Old 10-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

I thought I would offer a warning to anyone with Jaguar split rim BBS 20" wheels, especially the Detroits as they no longer have replacement drums from BBS...if they need tires or balancing, take them to a BMW or Jaguar shop or specialty place that are used to working on wide, expensive alloy wheels. Look at the mounting equipment to be sure it has the proper rotating expanding wheel clamps for this. Ask questions about your wheels until you have a feeling that they can do it right. No shop I know will cover wheel damages, so you need to go only to qualified places. Dropping your XKR off at Firestone or Goodyear is like ordering beef hash in a foreign country, a crap-shoot.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:26 PM

Dealer called me back and says he has notation on my record from the guy who mounted the tires indicating there were scratches and dents on my trim rings before he did the work. I now they were not all perfect but nothing like what I have now. I wish I had pictures of the rims before the work but I don`t. So it`s their word against mine....what fun....

Old 10-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing BBS wheels with trim rings

I had a 20" set of Montreals on an XKR. I could not find anyone to repair for a reasonable amount so I ordered trim rings and the torx wreench from a shop in the UK. They shipped to me in USA for about $200 in 2005. To repair, you must remove all the torx bolts, then pry off the ring. It is glued to the wheel with Lock-tite. It will be destroyed in doing so. Once removed, clean the old glue off the trim ring area of the wheel, then re-glue. Re-assemble the wheel (torx bolts).

Be careful in removing the bolts as they are easily stripped. One must gently loosen of they may break off.

I sold the wrench and extra trim rings on eBay when I sold the car for almost what I paid for all of them. It is worth it if you have these wheels because the repair is at least $400 per wheel if you can find a shop, more if at a Jag dealer.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Are the drums damaged ??? If they are ok you can have the trim rings replaced by BBS. They will not deal with you as they have an agreement with Jaguar that all repairs have to go thru a Jag dealer. Contact your local dealer or I can set it up for you.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WldCat
Well if the shop balks at paying for their replacement, report it to your insurance company and let them go after the shop. That's what you pay your insurance premiums for, after all....

Can't see your insurance company getting involved in a bad repair job. The cost of our insurance would be triple if they covered this.

When my brother takes his car to shop, he's so paranoid that he takes photos of his car at all angles (with the day's newspaper in the shot) just in case someone does visible damage and tries to deny it.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cpm53
Dealer called me back and says he has notation on my record from the guy who mounted the tires indicating there were scratches and dents on my trim rings before he did the work. I now they were not all perfect but nothing like what I have now. I wish I had pictures of the rims before the work but I don`t. So it`s their word against mine....what fun....

Did they do a walk around with you when they wrote the service order? If so, did they note the prior damage?

I'd go down there and have a heart to heart with them. Since there was already some existing damage maybe you can work out a 50-50 deal or something.

Good luck
DD

Old 10-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Did they have you sign anything that noted the condition of the wheels prior to the repair? If so, you're probably screwed. If not, then they could have easily added those comments after they damaged the wheels. The problem now, though, is that there was already some damage by your own admittance. Determining what damage was caused by them and what was already there would be impossible. And if there was already damage, they are going to argue that the trim rings needed to be replaced anyway.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:08 PM

There was no walk around before the work and I didn`t sign anything that indicated prior damage. It`s not too bad and I don`t know if it`s worth the hassle I`m in for to pursue it. I`m going to go and talk to management so at least they will be aware of the situation. I will never grace this dealers door again!!! If I only had a good photo of each wheel, I could really nail `em though...

Old 10-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cpm53
There was no walk around before the work and I didn`t sign anything that indicated prior damage. It`s not too bad and I don`t know if it`s worth the hassle I`m in for to pursue it. I`m going to go and talk to management so at least they will be aware of the situation. I will never grace this dealers door again!!! If I only had a good photo of each wheel, I could really nail `em though...

Well, we've gone from "really buggered up the trim rings...." to "they weren't perfect" to begin with to "It's not too bad...not worth the hassle". :-)

Even if you had "before" photos the fact remains that they damaged trim rings that were already damaged. The most you could hope to "nail 'em" for is some sort of split settlement, as you wouldn't be entitled to being made "more than whole" with brand new rings.

Go in and have a reasonable discussion and see if they'll do anything for you. I wouldn't mention never going back there again. If you say that then they won't have any reason at all to come up with an agreeable settlement.

Cheers and good luck
DD

Old 10-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

If it were mine, I would get out my drill motor and put a nice cotton buffing wheel on it, then get some red rouge buffing paste, put it on the buffer and buff out the scratches as best you can. Stainless is soft and buffs easily. If the scratches are deep, you can sand them with progressively smoother (start with 300 or 400, then 600, then 1000) wet 3M paper and then buff. You can fix them on the car unless they are dented or dinged. Put some wide masking tape on the rest of the wheel to protect it during the buffing. I've been thinking of doing this due to my rings not being shiny, they are smooth and undamaged but not polished looking, just dull and lifeless.

Quick Reply: Wheels Damaged...by Dealer