XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When I put battery on charger I get....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts
Default When I put battery on charger I get....

Don't know if it means anything but when I put my xk8 battery on a charger it is not showing fully charged. It starts out at about between 6 and 8 on the gauge on the charger then starts working towards 0 which is fully charged with green light.
I put a charge on it last night and drove the car for about 25 min with no issues, check CEL, engine fault, trans fault, tract controll fault, all listed in another thread, well today I went out to the car and put the charger again and it started out at about 7 again then started charging towards 0 which is full with a green light. Do I have a bad battery?

Old 10-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by brgjag
Don't know if it means anything but when I put my xk8 battery on a charger it is not showing fully charged. It starts out at about between 6 and 8 on the gauge on the charger then starts working towards 0 which is fully charged with green light.
I put a charge on it last night and drove the car for about 25 min with no issues, check CEL, engine fault, trans fault, tract controll fault, all listed in another thread, well today I went out to the car and put the charger again and it started out at about 7 again then started charging towards 0 which is full with a green light. Do I have a bad battery?
Since you can get it running,go to one of the Autozone or other parts store and have them test it for you.They typically don't charge to do the test.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I have had virtually identical behavior with ALL of my cars when using with the battery charger that I have had for a number of years. My charger is a 10 or maybe 12 amp charger and whenever I hook it up to any car it seems like the initial reading is always charging between about 6 or 9 amps but then drops down pretty quickly (when the battery is in pretty good shape) and ends up trickle charging at about 2 or 3 amps.

So the answer is I think your battery is probably fine if the charger is dropping pretty quickly from the initial 6 to 8 amp reading you are getting.

Doug

Old 10-31-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

I'd go with Eagle and say to go and get it checked somewhere where they have a device that actually checks the battery much better than our chargers will. I have a boat, and of course it has a battery to start the engine, but there is also a battery for the trolling motor, so I have to keep these charged up to maintain them, even though I may not take my boat out for several months at a time. I recently had the same thing you describe in a battery in my boat. It kept charging and charging, but would never reach full charge, as it always would before. I took it to the Walmart where I bought it, and their tester showed that there was a problem with the battery, so I bought a new one. With all of the electrical/battery issues that these cars seem to have, I would want to be certain that my battery is good, and no offense meant to Doug, but it is worth having it checked out.