XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy the radio ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 01:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where to buy the radio ?

Part number is AJ2050W LJD4100AA at a reasonable price ?
Does It need the Code to unlock in all cases (Europe/US models )?
If I decide to buy an aftermarket radio, can I reuse the amplifier, Alpine, of the premium system?

Thanks!

Rafael

Old 11-12-2017, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

Have you looked on mil anuncios? This looks like they have an XK8 which they are breaking for parts. Maybe you can buy the radio:-

https://www.milanuncios.com/otros-re...-203224987.htm

Otherwise ebay.co.uk is a good source for second hand parts, again look for people breaking XK8s. You need to get a radio that matches your Alpine premium system.

If you decide to swap the radio for an aftermarket brand, you can't reuse the amplifier, but that doesn't really matter. There are plenty of threads on the subject on this forum.

¡Suerte!

Old 11-12-2017, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Rafael, I heard that Europe radios do need unlock code. Is be surprised if that was country specific within Europe, so be sure you get the code if buying locally.

John

Old 11-12-2017, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Rafael.

Obviously, the easiest solution is to get a new radio head unit exactly the same as the old one. As John says, European models will probably need an unlock code.

If you decide to go for an aftermarket head unit, it may be possible to get it to work with the "premium amplifier" and the existing steering wheel controls but it is not straightforward. The loudspeakers in the car are connected to the amplifier, so a fair bit of new wiring will be required to get an aftermarket head-unit to work with the existing loudspeakers.

Unless you are prepared to pay a fair bit of money, or have a good knowledge of car wiring and audio, I would look for a new/old Alpine unit from a car breaker. Wouldn't cost much to get one from the UK - EuroJag, SimplyPerformance, or jagspares.net are all good sources of parts here.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:28 PM

Hi all. Thanks for your ideas. I'll contact your dealer suggestions.

In case I decide to replace the radio with an aftermarket solution, any advise to disable the smart Alpine Ai - Net digital bus and convert the amplifier into a silly analog device ? .

Thanks in advance. Gracias

Rafael

Old 11-13-2017, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Rafael
Hi all. Thanks for your ideas. I'll contact your dealer suggestions.

In case I decide to replace the radio with an aftermarket solution, any advise to disable the smart Alpine Ai - Net digital bus and convert the amplifier into a silly analog device ? .

Thanks in advance. Gracias

Rafael
The head unit connects to the amplifier by an AINET cable. Another AINET cable goes from the amp to the CD player. All the control signals go down the data wire in this cable.

The audio connections are just normal analogue left and right wires.

You would somehow have to send a digital signal to tell the amp which input to use etc. I don't know if there is an adaptor you can get to do this, otherwise you would have to figure out the format of the data signal and somehow send the correct signal to the amp. Its not just a question of shorting out one of the connections in the cable.

Really as mentioned, the easiest solution is to replace the radio with the same model, or if you want an aftermarket head unit, just scrap everything else and run new wires out to the speakers.

On my car I have kept all the original Alpine system and spliced a Bluetooth audio streamer to the CD connection between the CD player and the amp in the boot. When CD is selected on the head unit, the Bluetooth audio plays from my phone. It was easy to install and keeps everything looking original.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:34 PM

Hi all .

Thanks for your support. Finally the crazy radio, a "walking dead" radio, is working again.
What I did is in this post.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ection-191628/

Thanks again