XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead radio after battery disconnection

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 03:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dead radio after battery disconnection

I need help with the radio of my Xk8. I ́ve read a lot of posts with similar problems but none of them is like the problem I have with the radio head unit of my car. The problem is very simple: when I disconnect the battery and then I reconnect it, my radio is dead.

When I say dead, the display is also off, so no way to enter the code. Some additional data:

- I ́ve faced this problem several times, and the radio always revived some days later after the disconnection of the battery. The time I had to wait to have the radio on again and be able to enter the code was random but never more than 3 days. Now is not reviving anymore.

- The ON/OFF push button has never worked. The radio switches on automatically with the ignition. No idea why.

- I have the premium Alpine system but the telephone and navigation system are disconnected.

I believe there are some internal checks in the head unit when it is powered on, and if there is a failure in this process, the radio does not switch on. A defective capacitor in the head unit could make this happen.

I do not know if this theory makes sense or not but is the only one I have now.

Any additional ideas to troubleshoot it before dismounting my car with unclear results ??
I have done lot of investigations in the forum without success.

Any help is much appreciated.

Rafael

Old 11-03-2017, 04:10 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by Rafael
..... The ON/OFF push button has never worked. The radio switches on automatically with the ignition. No idea why. .....
Welcome to the forum Rafael,

Your forum profile shows X-Type 2001 but you are posting here about an XK8 ....?

The radio should power on as soon as the battery is reconnected and the ON/OFF button is pressed. As you have had a fault with the ON/OFF button for a long time, the most likely reason is that it has finally failed completely.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 11-03-2017, 08:24 AM

Hi Graham.
Thanks for your quick replay. I´ve both Xtype 2001 and XK8 2000 :-) . It is failing the XK8. I´ll update my profile.
Rafael

The following users liked this post:
GGG (11-03-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 12:26 PM

SOLVED !!!!!

Or at least , it temporally works. It is a crazy radio when the battery is disconnected. I´ve dismounted the radio, replaced some capacitors, re soldered and repaired the push button . etc , but nothing worked. Finally what I did to make the radio work is the next ( perhaps it helps to somebody else ) :

- Dismount the radio and extract it from the car.
- Shortcut the pins 1-2-6-7 from the white connector Ic19 to discharge the capacitors. The pins are the four ones on the right.
- Disconnect the battery
- Connect the radio
- Connect the battery
- Drive more than one hour and voilá, the radio powers on and asks to enter the 4 digits code.

If I do the same with the radio not installed in the car, it does not work. Does the input IC20-1 ( Vehicle Speed ) in the radio do something ????
No idea.

I hope this helps
Rafael

Old 11-17-2017, 12:42 PM

More info :