Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where has all the wood gone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:59 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default Where has all the wood gone?

Is it just me, or is anyone else notice that the wood is vanishing from the steering wheels on the newer cars? I want wood! (don't take that the wrong way)

Old 08-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree. Where is the wood going? That was one of the wonderful things that separated the inside of these cars from others. I do like the interior of the new jags, but they are missing one thing -- wood.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

My main complaint with my XKR is the look and feel of the steering wheel. It seems a bit too big in diameter and a bit too skinny in grip. My last several cars all had thicker leather wrapped steering wheels and I much preferred the feel of these. This is only partly made up for by the clearly attractive look of the standard wood steering wheel that blends with the rest of the wood inside the car.

The brief looks I have done inside the newer XK series have left me underwhelmed in that they now have the same plasticky look of many Asian cars. The new series would benefit by more wood touches in the interior imho.

Doug

Old 08-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

I had the same issue with the steering wheels on my XK8 and XJR, however my XKR came equipped with the Momo full leather steering wheel and it makes a big difference. I believe these were fitted to all XKs that did not have the Walnut dash (XKR 100s, Silverstones, Portfolios, etc...)

And no I do not miss the wood as I think the carbon fiber adds a bit of uniqueness and I had the wood in my previous jaguars and our current X-type wagon has a bit of wood too. I am however planning on getting my hands on a 2008 XJ Super V8 in a couple of years so that should put me well over the top as far as the wood quotient goes.

Attached Thumbnails Where has all the wood gone?-no-wood-here.jpg  
Old 08-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Veteran member

split the wood talk to a different thread, hope its ok

Old 08-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the all-leather steering wheel in my XKR. Personally, I'd like the half-and-half wood and leather look, but you take what you can get...the wood in my car happens to be stained grey, which makes it rather unique. I do think that carbon fiber would look stellar though!

Dave

Old 08-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Talking

may be the only one... but I love my wood. No really I do

But seriously, I think that is what separated these cars from others. Like was mentioned, many asian cars, and others have nice looking interiors now, but they are all very similar looking to me. I think the wood in the jags are what separated them from "the rest". I can't tell you how many times that wood dash is complimented when someone new to jaguar gets in. Then when I explain that it is all from one piece and show them the grain, they are thoroughly impressed.

With regard to the steering wheel, I like the look and feel of wooden ones also, but I do feel they could be a little thicker and higher quality. Myrtle Productions sells a sweet wheel for the jag, but I just can't quite commit to their price. $300 US maybe, but #350 is just too much for me. I like mine well enough.

I also see that the carbon fiber interiors have become all the rage, and I had to actually look for a while to find my R without the carbon fiber and with the regular wood package that I love so much.

To each their own, but I want my car to give me wood!

Last edited by jnporcello; 08-10-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Steering Wheel in my 2000 XKR came with both wood and leather, same as the others of it's time. The wood was a plywood laminate though, and it really did not match the dash at all. I replaced that Steering Wheel with a Burl one that was also slight thicker. My original wheel now resides on my Golf Cart, "Jagenstein". He has picked up quite a few Jag parts along the way.
Brian

Attached Thumbnails Where has all the wood gone?-p1010012.jpg   Where has all the wood gone?-p1010017.jpg   Where has all the wood gone?-copy-dscn0364-1-.jpg  

Last edited by H20boy; 08-10-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: big pics from thumbs
Old 08-10-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by jnporcello
... I had to actually look for a while to find my R without the carbon fiber and with the regular wood package that I love so much...
Really? It is my understanding there are less than 500 XKRs with Carbon Fiber and even fewer XK8s worldwide. Can anyone confirm this?

FYI the U.S. the limited editions were equipped with the following veneers:

XKR 100 - Birdseye Maple - Smoked Grey
XKR Silverstone - Birdseye Maple - Smoked Grey
2004 XKR Portfolio - Sapele
2005 XK8 Carbon Fiber, or "Fibre" in the Queen's english - Carbon Fiber
2006 XK8 4.2S (Victory Edition) - Elm
2006 XKR 4.2S (Victory Edition) - Carbon Fiber

European models had more options including Piano Black.

Last edited by MarcB; 08-10-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Veteran member

love the golf cart!

Old 08-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Matt,
Thanks for the BIG pics, that works well. Yeah, Jagenstein is quite the head turner. My Jag Club wanted me to bring him the the Concours 'd Elegance for grins. I should have, he would have liked that!
Brian

Old 08-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian love the pics! Part of the reason I got my mine was the dark walnut dash and trim. Others I looked at seemed faded and didn't have the tight wood grains.

I would love to take that golf cart out for 18!

Old 08-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Even Alfa Romeo's don't come with wood anymore

Old 08-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I also miss the wood. I'm not exactly in love with the carbon fibre trim. Some makes/models it works, but the luxury of the Jaguar line, IMHO, needs the more stately appearance that the wood can offer.

The one car that I recently looked at that worked for the carbon fibre was the Ferrari f430. On a sports car such as that, it worked. But, on a luxury car, it just makes it look cheap. Face it, the Jaguar line, especially the Coupe and Roadster, is a nice balance between sports car, and luxury car.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

CF used to be something to make cars lighter with, nowadays it's used for looks. half of the times it's fake aswell. Factory rice imo.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:35 PM

I must respectfully disagree with some of the comments. The Jaguar factory finished carbon fiber is, IMO, stunning. It is real carbon fiber finished with the same lacquer process as the wood veneer. The depth and quality of the finish is something to behold. I am curious how many people have actually seen a carbon fiber trimmed 1st generation XK8/R in person, as pictures do not do it justice.

To me carbon fiber makes sense in a racing inspired, 390+HP, limited edition model, Ferrari F40 brakes aside (Yes, interesting tidbit - the R Brembos are the same units that came on Ferrari F40s)

Old 08-10-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by MarcB
I must respectfully disagree with some of the comments. The Jaguar factory finished carbon fiber is, IMO, stunning. It is real carbon fiber finished with the same lacquer process as the wood veneer. The depth and quality of the finish is something to behold. I am curious how many people have actually seen a carbon fiber trimmed 1st generation XK8/R in person, as pictures do not do it justice...
Marc, you are correct, I have not seen it in the Jag, so I may eat my words (wouldn't be the first time.) My opinion comes from the various vechicles which are doing carbon fibre, most of which are fake, but the Ferrari was definately not. In the case of the Ferrari it was everywhere. The whole dash minus the top pad, etc. and the whole door panel, console, etc.

Maybe I'm holding on to the naustalgia of the wood, but I still feel the wood is more fitting.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:23 PM

No reason to eat words, I am just curious how many people have seen XK8s/Rs with carbon fiber.

I think you may have hit upon the reason wood is vanishing, at least for Jaguar, nostalgia. Ian Callum's new direction for Jaguar started at the end of our car's production run and I think the departure from the acres of veneer was a starting point for him. traces are found in the new cars but not the interesting veneer matched sets we are used to. The new carbon fiber also looks cheaper than the older version, since the entire dash is now leather maybe they had to cut back somewhere.

Another interesting fact (at least to me) is the original XK8/R's dash was sometimes referred to as the "Spitfire Wing" as it resembled the wing shape of the famous Supermarine Spitfires of WWII.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

WOW, Brian! I'm jealous of your massive wood!!!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by MarcB
...I think you may have hit upon the reason wood is vanishing, at least for Jaguar, nostalgia. Ian Callum's new direction for Jaguar started at the end of our car's production run and I think the departure from the acres of veneer was a starting point for him. traces are found in the new cars but not the interesting veneer matched sets we are used to. The new carbon fiber also looks cheaper than the older version, since the entire dash is now leather maybe they had to cut back somewhere...
I believe you are exactly correct that they are attempting to appeal to a completely new buyer which isn't looking for the classic lines or hand matched veneers. This isn't a bad thing, it is just sad to see some of the craftsmanship of the classic Jag's go by the wayside. There are many examples of brands struggling trying to continue to appeal to their aging buyers while missing the mark with the new markets. Jaguar's time is running out on making this transition... only time will tell if they can pull it off.

Quick Reply: Where has all the wood gone?