XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you like your XK ! :-)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,314 Likes on 2,831 Posts

I don't like it. At 6-foot-7, I'm far too tall to drive it for more than 45 minutes or so at a time. My knees, neck, Achilles tendons, and lower back start screaming at me to get out and unfold....

It's my wife's car and she absolutely loves it. And I have to admit - it is indeed gorgeous....

I'm just hoping it remains relatively trouble-free as she racks up the miles....

Old 11-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

These cars are only meant for middle upper class and upper class+folks.[/QUOTE]

Squarely middle class, I must be one of the +folks.

unlike any other vehicle I've owed my Jag has a heart and soul. Not rip roaring fast, but what a joy to drive. And I paid 1/2 of what I paid for my wife's Honda Civic. And at 15 she still draws a crowd. (the jag not my wife)

Old 11-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Grace, Pace & Space.

I must agree with Sir William Lyons. The XK8 is no hotrod, nor is it a slouch when it comes to power. It is so smooth and effortless to drive. And for a 2+2 convertible, there is a good amount of room in it for 2 people and a weekend's worth of baggage.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8

If I'm middle upper class now, I can't fathom what I'll be once I get my MD

About what the garden variety McDonalds franchise owner is (maybe less under Obamacare)....

Old 11-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,367 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazz Cat
About what the garden variety McDonalds franchise owner is (maybe less under Obamacare)....
Just googled that. Those guys make some serious dough just by piggybacking on McDonald's business.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by aode06
Jaguar is not everywhere ...
That's a blessing and a curse.

BLESSING = exclusivity (for whatever good that is)

CURSE = if Jag doesn't hurry and sell more cars then it will cease to exist

The #1 reason I like our XK8 ... it makes my wife happy. Happy wife, happy life.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know how the XK8 sets the hook. For 16 years I ignored them as ordinary looking and almost indistinguishable from a Camaro. Then, a couple of weeks ago, on a total whim, I bid on one on eBay (1997 convertible, carnival red with tan top). Quite unexpectedly, I won. I figured it was so cheap that if I didn't like it, I always had my other two Jaguars and if it was too far gone, I wouldn't be out much. In other words, not a lot of passion went into the decision.

But when it rolled off the truck from Pennsylvania and I drove it, my life changed. I absolutely love this car, am staggered by its beauty, and find it a thrill to drive. For me, it wasn't beautiful until I sat in it, then it became gorgeous from every angle. It's going to get everything it needs to come back to first class condition and will be with me for a very long time.

I agree with everyone else, it just took a while.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

It has been said before, by other's as well as me, that while your BMWs, Audis, and Mercedes are all great cars, a Jaguar has a soul. This is true for our XK8/R (the X100s) but under Tata Motors, they have lost some of their soul. Perhaps a necessary compromise for survival; Jaguar has never been more successful or profitable as under Tata. However, they have lost something also. My 2002 XKR is my most prized possession, and I will have and love her until I die. As a boy the XKE (E-Type) was my first love, my XKR will be my last.

Mark

Old 11-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Love the orange

I dig your car's color. Nice. I owned a Boxster before my XKR coupe and while I miss the handling, the XKR's POWER from first gear is thrilling. I get to challenge every muscle car and sports car off the line AND savor the coupe's fabulous lines.

A Ferrari California, also black, parked next to my car one day on a street. XKR first generation coupe was better looking by far.

Last weekend as I crawled into a busy parking garage, a Mercedes GL SUV driver coming the other direction ran his eyes back and forth across the Jaguar then looked me in the eye and said "That is a SWEET car." Wow, I love getting those comments.

The following users liked this post:
Gregfromuk (11-05-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I had always had a healthy respect for Jaguar. Starting with an XJ "Matchbox" toy car my Grandmother bought me.

Then there was the winning racing tradition against world class competition. (In the mid to late 80's I hung out with the TWR racing team in Valparaiso Indiana).

I had purchased a '94 corvette and started reading Road and Track, and other automobile magazines.

One day, sitting on my "throne", I was looking at an issue and saw an article on The jag XK8 coupe, with an aftermarket effects kit installed.....I was AWE STRUCK.

That was going to be my next pleasure car....(until I saw the price upwards of $75k)

Just this Spring I bought my silver '01 XK8 vert for under $15k. I was for-warned of possible issues because I had been a lurker on this site, while I was shopping.

I really wanted an '05 vert, brilliant bright blue, white interior. (But there's a thread here about it's previous collision issues and "salvage " title, that my Insurance Co. wouldn't insure.)

A light interior color was a MUST for me, having experience with past convertibles.

I found and bought my silver (black top) convertible, knowing as a body shop owner for over two decades, I could change the color at any time if I choose.

For me....it's the sheet metal and flowing lines, so reminiscent of the legendary XKE, that is paramount to me. The leaper logo and ALL the rest, are just cherry's on top.

The affordability (shhh...) is just a dream for those like me, that hold the cars' body design to heart and among the finest designs of ALL TIME.

She's just as sexy as an automobile can be.....

Old 11-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After owning countless Mustangs, Corvettes, and Porsches, its nice to have something with a personality. It goes like stink, and rides like I am sitting on my couch but reminds me I am not. Looks wicked, and gets awesome gas mileage compared to what I have had in the past. Its body style is one of the first that I feel looks leaps and bounds better than its replacements. I like them too, but there is something about the 96-06 xk cars. I truly feel in 30 yrs these are the cars everyone will want.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregfromuk
It was between an xk and a boxter S. I had a drive in my friends boxter S, it was solid and great fun and I almost bought one! but i'm sooooo glad I saw this orange xk( I honestly don't care if you don't like the colour,deal with it! )
I had a customers boxter at my workshop today and I parked it next to the Jag......The Jag wins hands down
It is such an amazing car! great to drive, has the classic timeless look and so many people have commented on how gorgeous it looks!
I bloody love it! :-)
Too funny.
These are mine and my partners cars! The Porsche just dropped a lifter we think. It's in the medics hoping it may only be an oil problem.
Why do you like your XK ! :-)-image.jpg

Gregfromuk (11-08-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Too funny.
These are mine and my partners cars! The Porsche just dropped a lifter we think. It's in the medics hoping it may only be an oil problem.
Attachment 61751
So, is the "PORSCHE" across the top of the windscreen so he can remember what kind of car he's driving?

Jags are not so forgettable.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Why do you like your XK ! :-)-image.jpg
Now back to they question. "Why do I like my XK?"
Well just look at it!!
I read somewhere that a Porsche is a surgical instrument and a jaguar is a fine work of art.
I like that!!
(I do wish it was easier to get the true color in my photos!)

Last edited by philhef; 11-07-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Gregfromuk (11-08-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Attachment 61760
Now back to they question. "Why do I like my XK?"
Well just look at it!!
I read somewhere that a Porsche is an overpriced VW and a Jaguar is a fine work of art.
I like that!!

fixed.

philhef (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccfulton
So, is the "PORSCHE" across the top of the windscreen so he can remember what kind of car he's driving?

Jags are not so forgettable.
Ha ha!! He had to have that stripe. When I first got my XK8, he dismissed it as a tired old car, now that its been re-invented, he really hates it!! That day, we sat in the restaurant and watched people's reaction and they didn't even notice his porsche!!
Ah! Revenge is sweet!!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bad Cattitude
fixed.
And it sounds like one with the clacking right now. Although I really do hope it's not a major issue. At least a lifter is fixable. Think we've ruled out the ims bearing. He loves his car and I know how we all would feel if our jag was seriously messed up!

Old 11-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

For me it is the fact that this car has an aesthetic that is in line with classic sports cars. It is gorgeous yet understated, a classy design which is timeless and beautiful. Where as every other modern car seems to be going for an over the top aggressive look, which in my opinion is kind of funky looking and just doesn't appeal to me.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by waterloo
For me it is the fact that this car has an aesthetic that is in line with classic sports cars. It is gorgeous yet understated, a classy design which is timeless and beautiful. Where as every other modern car seems to be going for an over the top aggressive look, which in my opinion is kind of funky looking and just doesn't appeal to me.

Well said.

Mark

Old 11-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gregfromuk
It was between an xk and a boxter S. I had a drive in my friends boxter S, it was solid and great fun and I almost bought one! but i'm sooooo glad I saw this orange xk( I honestly don't care if you don't like the colour,deal with it! )
I had a customers boxter at my workshop today and I parked it next to the Jag......The Jag wins hands down
It is such an amazing car! great to drive, has the classic timeless look and so many people have commented on how gorgeous it looks!
I bloody love it! :-)
I think the color is awesome!! Very Lamborghini!! I could totally see an off center black racing stripe on the side!! HOT!!
Have you posted pics? I'm thinking about starting a thread just for everyone to post a pic of their cars. I like the album section but I'd like to just see everyone's cat on a scroll through thread!

Sandrahsfn (11-25-2013)