XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I missed the Kaiser Cars & Coffee 5/29

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy Why I missed the Kaiser Cars & Coffee 5/29

Jerry and everyone else that attended I want to say I'm sorry for not showing up but these pictures will show you why.

My wife Audrey and I left Molalla a little late, at 08:00. We had expected to be in Salem by 08:00.

After spending Thursday washing and waxing my Green Jewel I was ready! The Jag never looked better.

Well we were run off of the road about 12 miles from our house at approx. 08:15 on our way to the meet. Life Flight flew me to Salem Hospital with an 8 inch long by 1 inch wide slice in my head to the bone. It took 12 stiches and 30 staples to close.

My wife has a black and black right arm from shoulder to elbow.

This is my first and last Jag. It was my dream car since I was in the Submarine Navy in the 60's and a fellow shipmate drag raced a Corvette with his 65 XKE and beat the Vette three times between 3 lights on Hampton Blvd in Norfolk Va.

I'll stop into this forum from time to time and hope to see you Jag Jockeys next month at June's meet. I'll be in an 88 "Arrest Me Red" Chevy!

This Jaguar saved our bacon.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...view=slideshow

Old 06-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I will have to view the photos when I get to my computer since the iPad doesn't have Adobe Flash, but I will say this now, as much as we love our Jags, they are just cars. People are so much more important and we are all glad you survived. Also, never say never, you never know when that Jaguar itch will creep up and you will start looking for another.

Edit: saw the picture by not using the slideshow. OUCH! I take it the car rolled? I am surprised the passenger windows are intact.
Jerry, I wish you and Audrey a speedy recovery. Are you home, or still in the hospital?

Last edited by K.Westra; 06-04-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow, those pictures are scary. Glad you made it -- from looking at the condition of the jag its safe to say that as severe as it sounds, its not as bad as it could be.
And hey, I might be thinking of getting another jag if it will protect you like that in an accident
Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am SO sorry for your misfortune, but glad that you both survived. I guess it really goes to show that we can't take anything for granted, as there are no absolute guarantees........... Good luck in your recovery!
Best regards,
Brian

Old 06-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I am so sorry to hear about this mishappen . Glad, your both survived and may you recover soon and fast

Old 06-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Good to be in a car that is more than paper mache over chicken wire. Even in times of trouble, count your blessings. Godspeed, man.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  19.3 KB

WOW....That looks very nasty
Its great to know that you could both walk away ( relatively unscathed ) as I feel sure it could have been much much worse.
I wish you and your wife a very speedy recovery and hope to see you around the forum......Jag or not, you'll always be welcome here

Old 06-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Very sad to see and hear your story and see those images (thanks for sparing us the pics of your noggin), I do hope you recover soon and entirely. We'll be praying for you. Stop by anytime, you know you're always welcome.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I cringed when I saw your photos of the car as I was amazed that occupants were not hurt worse than you describe. Wishing you a speedy recovery and so sorry for your incident.

Doug

Old 06-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man, those pictures bum me out. I'm glad to hear you're both okay. I rolled my first XKR last October and your pictures bring back bad memories. But my coupe kept me and my girlfriend relatively safe; I am really impressed at the severe damage to the car doesn't appear to correlate to severe damage to its occupants.

Afterward I was thinking about an S-type R or something more sedate, but with my recovery came the desire for another XKR, maybe you'll find your way back to a Jag in the future.

You've been a great member of this community and I, for one, will miss your contributions and perspective. Most importantly, I hope that your recovery is swift and complete!

Last edited by iilium; 06-04-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow! I see those pics and think - "there but for some unknown force go I"

I'm also enjoying my first Jag - and also a lifelong desire. However when I see what happened to your coupe and I think I have only a soft top - and that is mostly not even up - it is pause.

My best wishes for you and your wife - don't blame the car, praise it - and come back anytime you can. Get OK soon. DaleD

Old 06-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow................. glad to hear that you and your wife are okay. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Pics are scarry......... but remind you that life is 'too short' and you can't take anything for granted. And, reinforce one more reason that I'm a 'coupe guy'.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 AM

Audrey and I want to thank everyone for their well wishes and Prayers. We're both doing well, sore as hell, but doing well. The air bag really beat me up and the seatbelts saved us both but gave Audrey a very bad neck bruise.

It's been a week now and I already miss my Cat! I'm not done with Jags, just going to take a break. The next one will be another XK coupe and also an R version! Kind of nice to not have any bills other than the house payment and utility bills.

The woman that caused all of this mess never stopped. No plate number was gathered either. Reguardless if you're right or wrong you have to stop and see if the other person/persons are alright.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm am very glad to hear that you and your wife survived relatively unscathed, considering. I wish you both a quick recovery.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Glad that neither of you had serious injury. The photos look scary. Hope you recover fully very soon, and that when you get your next Jag, you will be able to put this all in the past. Good luck to you.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Pretty freakin' scary...that's what those pictures are. Glad to hear you & Audrey made it through. Hope the healing goes quickly and well.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:37 AM

I saw the Jag in person for the first time today. I'm 5'5" and I could not sit in the driver's seat. There isn't a place that isn't scratch and dented except the rear license plate area and the rear light lenses.

The car took a nose dive into a deep ditch, flipped, then rolled three times and landed upside down. Each roll and impact took place on the driver's A pillar which caved in and the roof caved in up to the Homelink system. Both driver and passenger doors flew open during the rolls. The driver's door was fully open and was bent in half as the car rolled over it and it remains that way. The passenger's door looked normal except for the missing mirror. All of the tires were off of their rims. I couldn't tell if the rims were bent or not. They were chromed Revolver (I think that's their name).

Both air bags were deployed. The wood panel is shot but the radio/nav area and speedo area of the dash is in great shape. The windshield is almost flat, the rear window is gone, the head liner is hanging down with the light hanging. The Homelink system is hanging by the wires. You can't open the hood and my son had to pry the trunk open.

If this were a soft top I wouldn't be writing this today.

The distance from the stop sign to the impact in the ditch is less than 1/10th of a mile on the trip computer. The road is straight for 1.4 miles. I don't know how fast the Jag got up to. I had it in sport mode and as I pulled out to overtake/pass the RPM jumped to 6000 as it usually does when you press the peddle to pass. I let up on it so it would shift and the RPM were lower. I never floored it when I first put it into sport mode because of the high RPM the engine jumped up to shifting to lower gears. So if someone in an XK8 wants to do a little test. Start from a dead stop, in sport mode with the peddle 1/2 way to the floor for 1/10th of a mile and tell me how fast you got up to. During this distance I went sideways to the right then due to my over correcting a little to the left then I left the road. I doubt I was doing more than 40 but I have no idea, I was watching the lovely woman that was pulling into my lane without using a mirror or looking to the left but I KNOW she had one hell of a show going on on the side and a little bit in front of her!! I was more concerned to not hit the camper I was now heading towards because there were kids in that camper/truck.

Good news!! After with Allstate over the amount they will pay for the car, I was told they would pay it off in full .

Something I didn't know, anything that you have inside of your car such as your glasses, camera, blue tooth, Ipods etc. are covered under your home owner's insurance and not your auto insurance. So if you have a $250 deductible on your home policy that's the price of my camera so that's a loss.

Time to start saving my money for to be used as a down payment on late model XKR. I'd like a 2006/2007 or I might lease a new one.

I want to thank everyone for your warm wishes. They sure gave Audrey and I a warm fuzzy feeling.

Mark

Last edited by GreenJewel; 06-10-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

I was wondering how all this happened, but in any case I'm glad you're both okay!

Old 06-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, thanks for the details - and the news that you two are healing.

The comment "If this were a soft top I wouldn't be writing this today" still sends chills for a vert driver...

Perhaps my mind will exert a bit more control on my foot from now on - Best wishes for a quick recovery. DaleD

Old 06-12-2010, 01:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sheesh! That's pretty close to home. I live in Keizer and really wanted to attend the rally but spent memorial day weekend in Boise with my middle son and family. I know the highway out that way quite well. As others have said, hope you and your wife have a speedy recovery. Looks like you were both spared from what could have been a much worse or even fatal accident. Take care and be safe. I'm going to try to attend the June meeting. Maybe we will get to meet up some time.

Quick Reply: Why I missed the Kaiser Cars & Coffee 5/29