XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Window problem

PS window has developed the following problem: Passenger pulls on chrome latch, window drops 1/4", door is opened, latch is released, window goes back to full up with door open. Window strikes the convertible top when attempt to close door is made (first time, not having noticed), door will not - of course - close. Even if chrome latch is simply tweaked (but not enough to open the door) the window drops 1/4", but returns to full up when the latch is released. In days of yore, I would be thinking about travel limit switches and relays, but I suspect the Jag system is u-processor based and knows where everything is by way of a pot' or more likely, an encoder.

Should say: Window operates over normal range exactly as it should.
Temporarily I am lowering window from the DS to allow the passenger to exit and close the door, and I then raise the window again.
Have not yet done the window reset procedure, although have read several posts on misbehaving windows. Nothing quite like this. Anyone any thoughts?

Old 11-07-2016, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Do a reset - takes 10 seconds.
Lower window until you hear a very quiet "click"
Raise window until you hear a very quiet "click"
Job done.
9 times out of 10, that's all that is required. If not, then you may have a problem, but try that first,

Old 11-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Received 267 Likes on 199 Posts

I'd be looking at the switch that tells whether the door is open or closed as it sounds as though the car is sensing the door as closed even when it's open. If you see what I mean! I'm not sure where the switch is located, as I've not had the car all that long, but they are commonly inside the latch - I'm sure someone will be along persently to tell you where to look!

Old 11-07-2016, 11:00 AM

Seems to have worked! There may be other oddities: I reached across the car (acc ign on) and tripped the door latch, but I pulled it a bit harder than I meant to, and the door half opened. At that point the window and the door began a merry dance, presumably because the window was going up and pushing the door way by means of the soft top. After killing power and getting everything back where it should be, and re-stroking the window, it all seems normal. Thanks guys!

Old 11-07-2016, 12:28 PM
Default Too soon on the window solution!

I thought I had it solved, but no. There must be a microswitch somewhere in the door that tells 'the brain' whether the door is open or not. If the door is NOT open and the door latch (inside or outside) is operated, then drop the window 1/4" (unless it is already more than 1/4" down) and leave it there. If the door shuts, then close the window (unless... ditto). Hence, there must be a switch related to the position of the door - perhaps the same switch that puts a warning on the display when the car starts moving with the door not properly closed.
Anyone any idea where the switch is located and whether anyone has trodden this path before? I was having trouble finding more than the original three I found about delinquent windows.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:51 PM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

This link from SAM1174, will show the removal and replacement of the door latch switch module. It can be cleaned first with WD-40, from the outside and then exercised a few times, this may free it up, if not, and there is further degradation, then it may need to be replaced.

Last edited by 03 XKR; 11-07-2016 at 02:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Atlastajag1 (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 02:25 PM

That is exactly the description of my problem. Good Link / Video. Thanks! There is a UK site that advertises (supposedly) this switch. Has anyone used it, and if so, does it seem like that 03XKR's unit is the same. Has anyone described the switch replacement procedure, beyond this useful extraction video? Does it seem remotely possible that this can be an 'out of adjustment' or 'sticking' issue that might be resolved by less expensive means? (I doubt that I also would be lucky enough to find a mechanism for $10 on eBay!)

Old 11-07-2016, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

See here starting at post 6 for instructions and parts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roject-118210/

Old 11-07-2016, 03:02 PM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlastajag1
That is exactly the description of my problem. Good Link / Video. Thanks! There is a UK site that advertises (supposedly) this switch. Has anyone used it, and if so, does it seem like that 03XKR's unit is the same. Has anyone described the switch replacement procedure, beyond this useful extraction video? Does it seem remotely possible that this can be an 'out of adjustment' or 'sticking' issue that might be resolved by less expensive means? (I doubt that I also would be lucky enough to find a mechanism for $10 on eBay!)
Yes it could be a sticking issue, that is why you should clean the outer latch mechanism, door open, with WD-40, to clear any obstruction or dirt, etc., then open and close a few times to lubricate the latch that may be sticking.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:53 PM

Excellent... Thanks! Is there any reason to worry that my 05 isn't the same as the 03, with regard to the Omron microswitch? If not I'll just get a couple on order right away.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:31 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

What we have found on most window drops related to the door latch that a good spray with WD40 as mentioned above was a fix. Before taking the door apart try spraying it first and work the door as mentioned above. WD40 is a good cleaning agent and most times frees up the latch and micro switches enabling the window to work properly.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

03 XKR (11-07-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 07:36 AM
Default WD40

Sounds good to me! But by 'not taking the door apart' Gus, do you mean the door panel doesn't come off? How and where is the WD spray directed? Thanks.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:50 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Directly into the door latch mechanism in the door jam. Be sure that you spray as much of the linkage as you can then work the door a few times then let it sit for a bit then work the door again.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

The microswitch is available from digikey for about $7.00. I faced the same problem solving you, the switch started working again while I was fixing it.

Do a search this forum for the part number. I'm on phone today. The number is there.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:25 PM

Thanks Johnken. Gus, thanks also. I hosed the lock as directed, but no change. Looks as though a switch change is in order. Ordinarily, I would verify the switch at some accessible connector, but it's probably as much work to find out where the switch can be 'read' and to get at it, so Digikey gets an order today.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Once you get the unit out check to see if the switch its self is bad. It could be that the pressure arm on the switch might need to be adjusted and that would only mean a short bend. Please let us know what you find.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Atlasjag, removing the window is scary but not really hard. A few quick points:

1) when you pop the bottom of the window out of the regulators arms, it's going to scare the he'll out of you (BANG) this is normal.

2) You can hold up the window (to get access to mechanism) with plain old bar clamps. The soft rubber pads grip the window safely without too much pressure. Bar clamps = the kind with a pistol grip like Stanley brand. I used really short ones.

3) that same bar clamp was best way for to reattach window to regulator attachment. I just couldn't get an angle with my hands.

Just ask if u have questions.

John

Old 11-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Window auto-drops, but doesn't auto-up when door closed

My '97 has a similar but different problem.

Drivers window drops the 1/2" when the handle is pulled, but never goes back up. Window switches work properly, but each time you pull the handle...it goes down again.

Is there part of the mentioned latch switch that might think the door was never opened?

I currently raise the window after opening the door, but stop just short of all the way up.

Jay

Old 11-10-2016, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Simply do a position relearn then have your battery load tested at a local auto parts store. You might note that the window motors have 30a fuses which means they draw a lot of current. The high current can and often does with a weak battery pull the battery voltage below the door control module memory requirements.

Run the window all the way up and hold the switch for a couple seconds beyond until you hear a soft click. Run it all the way down and hold until you hear the click.

AC0FC (12-30-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member

Jay, I hope testpoint is right, but if the switch is broken and the door switch I signaling "the door is closed" this is exactly what will happen. A test for this is the puddle light. It will not go on if switch says door is closed even when you open the door.

At least thats true in my 1998. In the spirit of openness I just remembered the puddle light activation may have changed in later years.

AC0FC (12-30-2016)