XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield washer not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Windshield washer not working

My 01 washer will not work, the spray nozzle is not clogged and there is fluid in the resevoir. So anybody have an idea?

Last edited by GGG; 12-26-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Can you hear the washer pump run when you pull back on the wiper column?

Old 11-16-2011, 07:28 AM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Windshield Washer

Some Assumptions:
Wipers are working through the various intervals? The washer button at the end of the wiper lever (wash/wipe stalk) is part of the switch pack operating the wiper operations; therefore, hopefully the button at the end of the stalk is operational.
There is a fluid level sensor in the washer reservoir which will indicate a low fluid level, and should give you a warning light. Unless malfunctioning, as you state, the reservoir has fluid, and the washer should be working.
When the button is depressed, the pump in the reservoir should be pumping fluid through the tubing to the spray nozzles - as Skid Mark suggests. One check is to pull the tubing off of the plastic "T" where it splits to supply both sides of the windshield before it reaches the spray nozzle to determine if fluid is being pumped from the reservoir. If no fluid is being pumped, it is likely the washer pump. If the pump is operational, there is a non return valve in the line which may be clogged or the main delivery line may be clogged.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same problem ..hose was pinched under the cowling below the windshield, note: be very careful when pulling the hoses off of any t's or l's , my car is 12years old and the plastic fittings are very brittle . also check that the screen inside the reservoir is clear where the pump pick up is.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Where is the fuse for the washer pump motor? That would be a good thing to check if the pump doesn't work or it can't be heard.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Windshield Washer Fuses

The windshield wiper/washer is processed through the Body Processor Module which is fused on the driver' side fuse box by two fuses: #3 Wiper motor relays and #7 battery supply for solenoids, lamps, and motors.
The thought there is that if the wipers are working through their intervals, power should then be at the washer switch (button) to activate the washer pump. (unless the button switch itself is bad within the wiper control switches)

The following users liked this post:
Skid Mark (11-16-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Jag13Cat! What's the best way to deactivate the headlight washers? All they do is waste fluid and make a mess on the hood.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I unclog the reservoir? XJ8 2007

I'm pretty sure there is debris at the bottom of the wiper fluid. I am able to disconnect he hose at the T and blow air down the tube creating bubbles in the reservoir. Whatever is clogging the system floats up and the washer fluid sprays well, but then it's clogged again a day later.

How do I unclog the bottom of the reservoir? It's hidden behind the wheel well and a panel in the engine compartment.

Thanks in advance!
CK

Attached Thumbnails Windshield washer not working-2014-02-01-08.31.08-2-.jpg   Windshield washer not working-2014-02-01-08.30.56-2-.jpg  
Old 02-04-2014, 10:40 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Chris,

I thought that reservoir didn't look familiar and then I read your thread title more carefully. This is XK8/XKR tech forum!

That being said, although the reservoirs are a different shape, the design is similar in principle.

The only way to completely clean the reservoir is to remove it and wash it out but you may be able to 'reverse flush' it like a radiator.

Windshield washer not working-x350-screenwash.jpg

(click on the image to enlarge it)

If you can disconnect the Screenwash Hose (item 10) and connect a pressure water feed to the Reservoir outlet, you can probably flush out the contaminants through the opened Reservoir Cap.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
chris_kimble (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pardon the goof. . . I missed that in the search. Thank you for the suggestion.

CK

Old 03-29-2014, 12:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ha!

Originally Posted by xk8florida
Had the same problem ..hose was pinched under the cowling below the windshield, note: be very careful when pulling the hoses off of any t's or l's , my car is 12years old and the plastic fittings are very brittle . also check that the screen inside the reservoir is clear where the pump pick up is.
Hey, I think I bought your car! Problem is still there, but intermittant; I'll check all that stuff. Possibly replace the hoses and fittings.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wipers fixed

Just fixed mine on my 01 XKR yesterday. After going through all normal diagnostic tests such as removing the pump and bench testing, checking for power to pump etc. Found pins on pump at plug corroded (hard to see), scraped corrosion off with a small file. Fine now. The plug is on top of the pump and can easily fill with water and not drain. The plug is not sealed, Be sure to coat with Vaseline or something similar.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a new (for me) 2001 XJ8 VDP. The windscreen pump works and lowers level in reservoir but nothing comes out of wiper jet. Further investigation showed fluid dripping from beneath the car in the transmission vicinity so I assume a hose is broken or loose. I have removed the right and center plastic engine compartment covers but cannot locate hose location(s). Unable to find diagram of windscreen washer hose routing - does anyone know? Thanks for the help. This car is replacing a 01 XJ8 destroyed by snowplow in upstate NY when there was 2m of snow in 3 days.
Robert

Old 12-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I have the same problem with my 2005 XKR and determined that the little "tee" fitting was broken (probably from some mechanic at the last shop I brought the car). I got hold of a new tube (that comes with the fitting) and plan to install it in the next few days.

Doug

Old 12-24-2014, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Well I did the tube replacement today and it is a lucky thing I bought the entire tube assembly since I found that the tube had been penetrated and the main fitting was broken (I am guessing that the servicing I did at a local mechanic a few months ago was actually responsible for this). Anyway the job went fairly easy. The toughest things are removing the wiper arms (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A PROPER WIPER ARM REMOVAL TOOL) and trying to get that damn plenum drain tube back in place on the passenger side.

The first few times I tried out the washer the wipers moved but no fluid. Finally at the fourth time fluid came out (I assume the tubes needed priming from the pump).

Anyway I am attaching a couple of photos of the old assembly so you can see the makeup of the tube assembly. I placed arrows at the places that had been broken/ruined.

Doug

Attached Thumbnails Windshield washer not working-washertube.jpg   Windshield washer not working-puncturedtube.jpg   Windshield washer not working-brokenfitting.jpg