XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter driving

I'm unfamiliar with a 2006 XK8 coupe that I am considering buying. Awesome looking, low miles, but I live in a northern climate where we get snow. This would be my yearround car.
Is it reasonable to expect to drive the car with snow tires and get decent traction/ my bet is that it isn't made for that purpose and it was be hazardous to expect it to be drivable in the winter.
I'd appreciate your opinions. First-time user.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:42 AM
Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Cannot recommend XK as a winter car especially if planning to drive on roads with new snow/ice.
Atleast get one with winter pack if possible w/heated windscreen & heated seats.
Also newer car w/stability control system might help driving.
If temps go below zero deg, engine preheater is good investment so that engine is stressed less on start.
Adding extra weight into trunk helps not to get stuck on smallest obstacle at snowy/iced roads.

I bought my car on february and drove it 500km to garage on winter conditions -20C degrees.
Again, there is alot better cars suitable for winter driving.

Get XK for summer driving and buy 'el cheapo' front wheel drive car for winter; sell el cheapo on spring,

Just my 5 cents

Last edited by tsuppari; 09-23-2017 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

While my wife's 2006 XK8 is indeed her year-round daily driver, both of our Jaguars sleep safely at home whenever the snow flies. That is when our 2013 Outback 3.6R comes out to play....

Old 09-23-2017, 07:49 AM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

I lived in north-central Idaho in a rural area until about 1.5 years ago. Now I'm in urban south Idaho. where the snow is not supposed to be bad...except for this last winter where they called it a "snow-pocalypse" and it was the worst they've had in 30 years (which just equalled a normal north Idaho winter).

That said, we year round drive both of our Jaguars, the XJ more than the XK based off of the tires we have for it.

A RWD platform is the worst to have when it comes to snow/ice driving. FWD/AWD/4WD with equal tires will always be better. Traction control can help or hinder depending on the circumstance.. For normal light winter driving it can help, if you are bombing through deep snow or traction is limited, traction control on most cars will bog down and feel as if it's applying a brake when you are trying to accelerate.

Tires are the biggest factor in snow and ice performance on any car in regard to snow/ice performance. A RWD with good snow tires will probably outperform an AWD with general all season tires. Tire choice is of utmost importance. Having tried various winter tires, my all time favorites for the price are Michelin X Ice 3's, which is what we run on the XJ. The tires are studless winter and absolutely outstanding on snow and ice. The only thing I have had better on ice are studded tires.

It really depends on conditions and your driving comfort/experience. I wouldn't hesitate to winter drive the Jaguar you are looking at. Most of the roads here are maintained enough I don't worry about getting snowed in. I have owned 4WD and AWD vehicles and have been snowed in with them when we would get 1.5-3 feet of snow at a time, so if it is bad enough it doesn't matter what you have.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:26 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in Chicago area. First off, never ever drive your XK on snow and ice if it has summer tires on. Learned that early on when it was new.

I've had Michelin Pilot Sport All Season tires on it since my first tire change and those do make driving on snow and Ice OK. But I generally don't drive it very much in the winter and don't take it out during a snow storm or on unplowed roads so I can't say how bad it would be.

The car is not my daily driver. But we only have two cars so when my wife is out with our other car and I have someplace to go then the XKR gets to go for a run.

If I had to drive it over unplowed roads or in snow storms on a regular basis I'd buy snow tires.

Last edited by lsimon; 09-23-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

On a few occasions I drove my STR in snow on summer tyres and can say it was challenging. I've also left it parked to avoid doing so. With a bit more frequent snow I'd either get a 2nd car or winter tyres. It would help a lot if I'd room for either the extra car or the extra tyres!

Old 09-24-2017, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

No problems at all, even with well-worn all-season tires. (I do have tremendous confidence in my driving abilities though.)

Old 09-24-2017, 10:08 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

A XK will be no better/no worse suited for winter driving than any other RWD car. Don't even think of summer or 4 season tires.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

two words: Winter Beater

Old 09-25-2017, 01:33 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

I use both our XK and XJR as our winter cars (TVR gets a pass) and take 'em to lots of ski areas around the North East in any condition. Provided you are smart about driving it (i.e. not stopping on a big hill etc) and are familiar with driving a rwd car in the snow you should be fine. That said my XK doesn't have traction control (just stability) and I don't run snows on it, just performance all seasons. It does okay but not nearly as good as the XJR does with her snow tires and traction control. I don't take it out if there will be more than a few inches or so of new snow expected. I also carry chains but have never put 'em on. Only time I got the XK "stuck was in a parking lot where she sank in last winter and couldn't spin loose but at the time the tires were beyond ready to be replaced. A simple digging out the rear wheels so I could get some momentum over the ice hump was all it needed. Biggest thing you want to be careful with is RUST and salt!

Old 09-26-2017, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Have always driven mine in winter with true winter tires (usually they last 2 or 3 seasons, so always fresh), but not less important also with an LSD which made a big impact as well. Another thing not to take lightly is the wheel alignment as that could cause the wheels to loose grip even more when its really slippery. I normally don't do under for 4wd cars on the road, but its demanding driving which I certainly enjoy.