XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wire Wheels: To spoke or not to spoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wire Wheels: To spoke or not to spoke

I haven't seen them mentioned here and I can't even find a picture of the newer XK series with wires on the net. Besides them being steel and a slightly smaller width than the original 20 X 10 alloys why not go with wires? I may need an alternative to the dang BBS two piece and I can't think of anything that would look better. Thoughts on why or why not besides the $650 a pop Dayton just quoted me?

The following users liked this post:
Timothy Thomas (04-02-2021)
Old 10-31-2010, 01:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I think you have the pre-07 model, right?

Our 1997-2006 wheel models are very limited, if you want 20's, you're left with only the BBS styles. 19" and you have the Atlas and Apollos (same as mine). There is alink in the FAQ thread that has the brochure for the XK and all wheel styles available.

But, if you want to spend a little money on adapters, xkracer (search for his posts) has adapters that will allow straight bolt on of wheels from the 2007 up xk series and even the xj models...but the XJ won't have staggered configurations (but they do have more 19" options) Takes a little machining to do to the wheel apparently, but its minor he says.

I've always been keen to the 20" Sentas, and there are even aftermarket copies of that very style that are under $800.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:54 PM

I've got an 03 XKR H2. I know I'm supposed to ID my car but I can't get it under my avatar like yours. Help me out wid dat will 'ya?

But back to the wheels. Dayton makes a direct bolt on 70 spoke wire for this car, $650 each. They'll probably give me a cap that fits the Growler center piece I've already got. The question is, why don't I see any on the road, in the magazines or on this site? Is there a problem with wires that I don't know about? Somebody told me they wouldn't take the torque but I don't believe it. Dayton's been putting wires on big V8's since the sixities. They'll make me a 20 X 9.5 for the rear and a 20 X 8 for the fronts and they'll bolt right on. What's not to like? I’m not real happy with BBS right now.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Its there in your sig now I-R (or can I just call you Brian?) Is your car a convertible or coupe?

Personally, the wire wheels just say 'vintage' to me. Putting them on a newer style car is personal preference, of course, but I don't think it fits the styling anymore. Its like reversing the situation and putting modern wheels on a classic car. When the generation gap is too far in between, its just doesn't work as well.

For $2400, you have alot of options for your car. Let me know if I can help.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:54 PM

Wires do say "vintage" to a certain extent and that's a fact. But the styling of the new XK series is no accident. It says automotive history with every pen stroke taken from the original XKE. It seems that way to me anyway and I think that's why I like the look of the XKR and the wires. I just wish I could find a picture of them on that model.

Ok, still look'n for somebody to tell me in an engineering or mechanical sense why nobody has wires on their XK.

Oh and H2, people that know me call me the north end of a mule heading south but you can call me Nate until you get to know me better!

Old 10-31-2010, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Hmmmm...not for me

The following users liked this post:
dfbender (04-02-2021)
Old 10-31-2010, 03:40 PM

Thanks Racer, I don't like that either but, those are dinky and on a coupe. I've got 20" on a vert and I don't think the mass and profile of a convertible will esthetically overwhelm the wheel as shown in that pic. Thanks again but show me a convertible. I think it’s going to make a big difference.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by I-RIGHT-I
I've got an 03 XKR H2. I know I'm supposed to ID my car but I can't get it under my avatar like yours. Help me out wid dat will 'ya?

But back to the wheels. Dayton makes a direct bolt on 70 spoke wire for this car, $650 each. They'll probably give me a cap that fits the Growler center piece I've already got. The question is, why don't I see any on the road, in the magazines or on this site? Is there a problem with wires that I don't know about? Somebody told me they wouldn't take the torque but I don't believe it. Dayton's been putting wires on big V8's since the sixities. They'll make me a 20 X 9.5 for the rear and a 20 X 8 for the fronts and they'll bolt right on. What's not to like? I’m not real happy with BBS right now.
Just a question,have you driven a newer car with wires? If you are not happy with your 20" BBS wheeels,I would like to hear you opinion after driving with 20" wires.They are heavy and will flex like hell under the power and suspension of the XKR.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:56 PM

Look what I found...

Ahhh...chrome, my favorite color.

The following 3 users liked this post by I-RIGHT-I:
dfbender (04-02-2021), Timothy Thomas (04-02-2021), User 070620 (05-27-2015)
Old 10-31-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by eaglexkr
,I would like to hear you opinion after driving with 20" wires.They are heavy and will flex like hell under the power and suspension of the XKR.

Well, that's the purpose of this post, to talk to somebody that's got them or had them. But, if Coventry West gets the dang click out of that BBS Detroit for me then I'm not in the market for new wheels. I'll spend those 2500 bucks someplace else.

But I tell you what. I think that looks pretty dang good. So what if they aren't practical, are high maintenance and prone to break down? They will just remind me of my ex wife. Besides, why should the wheels be any different than the rest of the car?

Old 10-31-2010, 09:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Dayton wire with the alloy rim would obviously be the lightest weight (for a wire wheel) More like a Borrani alloy wire wheel that was used on Ferrari's etc.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:00 AM

I checked out those Italian racing wheels you mentioned and they are beautiful. They are also $14 for a set. Wow. I'll look into the hybrid from Dayton but it wasn't an option they gave me when I checked with them.

http://www.borrani.eu/technologic_wheels_uk.aspx

Old 11-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

All I can think of when i see those wire wheels is the hours and hours it will take to keep all the dame break dust off of them...as far as how they look, it doesn't matter what i think as they are not going on my xk8

Old 11-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

Well, that's the purpose of this post, to talk to somebody that's got them or had them. But, if Coventry West gets the dang click out of that BBS Detroit for me then I'm not in the market for new wheels. I'll spend those 2500 bucks someplace else.

But I tell you what. I think that looks pretty dang good. So what if they aren't practical, are high maintenance and prone to break down? They will just remind me of my ex wife. Besides, why should the wheels be any different than the rest of the car?
Yes, you are so right!!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 2002XK8Orlando
All I can think of when i see those wire wheels is the hours and hours it will take to keep all the dame break dust off of them...
Brakes? The car has brakes?

Don't know because I've never done it but the spray on wire wheel cleaners are supposed to handle that with a few squirts and a garden hose. But you're right, it would be a real be-och to get in there with a rag.

I think another option is to buy the painted wires. I think Brembo Black would work pretty well don't you?

Old 11-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

take it from someone thats works on many Jags years ago when you saw alot more of them. You live in Houston, the wheels bend easily in potholes. theyre very heavy which will decrease mpg, and lower acceleration not to mention increase braking distance...did I mention I have taken many a tube of silicone, cleaned the rim after removing the tire and used a bondo blade to reseal the rim where the spokes are bolted in for air leaks

Old 11-01-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
take it from someone thats works on many Jags years ago when you saw alot more of them. You live in Houston, the wheels bend easily in potholes. theyre very heavy which will decrease mpg, and lower acceleration not to mention increase braking distance...did I mention I have taken many a tube of silicone, cleaned the rim after removing the tire and used a bondo blade to reseal the rim where the spokes are bolted in for air leaks
Hey Brutal! The Detroit is heading back from Coventry West tomorrow. I should be back in the saddle by the weekend. If the wheel is good, meaning that dang click that nobody knows what made it is gone, then I'm golden. If not then I've wasted a bunch of money.

I'm not nearly as practical as you. I'm sure you're right about the wires but, all of that downside is acceptable if the look is right and boy do I like the look. We'll see what the weekend brings. One way or another I'll bring it in to you in a few weeks for that oil change we were talking about.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Hey Brutal! I'm not nearly as practical as you. I'm sure you're right about the wires but, all of that downside is acceptable if the look is right and boy do I like the look. We'll see what the weekend brings. One way or another I'll bring it in to you in a few weeks for that oil change we were talking about.
WHAT!!!! Me practical
youre talking to the guy with a 850hp 79 ElCamino, 87 400hp Suburban, a super charged 400hp V6 Frontier 4X4(9mpg by the way) and a almost stock 96 Jaguar...I own 4 vehicles but only NEED 1. Whats YOUR definition of impractical

Old 11-02-2010, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Wire wheels are a PITA, even if you have so called stainless steel they still go rusty.

Look great when new but after about a year, rubbish.

And black.......Sir, you have strange taste, each to their own I guess!

Old 11-02-2010, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
WHAT!!!! Me practical
youre talking to the guy with a 850hp 79 ElCamino, 87 400hp Suburban, a super charged 400hp V6 Frontier 4X4(9mpg by the way) and a almost stock 96 Jaguar...I own 4 vehicles but only NEED 1. Whats YOUR definition of impractical
Owning an Attack Submarine on Lake Victoria, would be up there.

Interesting wire wheels thread though.

Quick Reply: Wire Wheels: To spoke or not to spoke