XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireing fuel pump?

Old 04-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wireing fuel pump?

My fathers xk8 will not start and I'm quite sure it's the fuel pump.
Made a check att the electric connection to the fuel pump. Two black and one brown/yellow and one blue/white.
Between black and brown/yellow I have 12v approx 2 sec after ignition on and during cranking.
Between black and blue/white I have nothing...
What is the purpose of the blue/white one?

best regards
staffan

Last edited by GGG; 04-23-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The wiring diagram shows that the wires are as follows:
Black is ground and there are 2 black wires.
Brown/yellow stripe is Power
Blue/ with white stripe is not used for the XK8.
You should get power between the brown and black when the key is turned on for 3 to 5 seconds to charge the rack. Then it will shut off power.
Then when the engine is cranking the ignition is ignored and the ECU takes over and provides power to the brown.
The initial is working so when cranking over does the power show on the brown to black? If it doesn't show power then the crankshaft position indicator is not telling the ECU that the engine is rotating.

First you need to be sure you are getting fuel. Turn the ignition on for 5 seconds and then turn it off. Go under the hood and on the right front side of the engine is a valve that looks like a tire valve with a plastic cap. Remove the cap and press the schrader valve with a rag covering it. If you get a blast of fuel then the pump is working. If no fuel then the pump is bad. The rack pressure should be 45 to 55 psi at that valve.
Check that out and get back to us with the results.
Also, it would be most helpful if you added what year model and engine of XK8 you are working on. The info is based on the 98 XK8 diagrams.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Wiring diagrams for your model are here at the top of the page . Is the car normally aspirated or supercharged that has 2 pumps to troubleshoot with .

http://www.jagrepair.com/JaguarXK8El...OBDIIcodes.htm

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 04-23-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for Your detailed explanation, fantastic!!!
I have no fuel pressure but the power to the fuel pump seems to work fine according to Your explanation.
Looks like I have to prepare my self to take out the fuel tank. I have read earlier that it could be a bit tricky with two fuel pipe that has to be disconnected with some kind of special tool. I can follow three fuel pips under the car. One thick are disappearing forward of the differential. One thick and a smaller are disappearing aft of the differential gear up under the heat protect shield.
Do I have to dismount the heat shield?
Do You know where I can buy the special tool for the fuel pipes?
My father xk8 is a -99.
best regards Staffan

Old 04-23-2018, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

You can swap the relay with one of the same part # as a pitted relay power contact can show voltage and not have the contact area to carry the current .

You can look in the connector and see if you have burnt sockets .

look to be sure you have good ground wires . Location ?

Verify the relay clicks 3 times during starting sequence . On - Off - On .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 04-23-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Since you can read voltage at the pump when the key is energized your relay is fine. Most likely you are correct it is time for a new pump. The fuel line disconnect tools are very cheap just plastic rings with a cutout to go around the fuel line. Harbor Freight has a set of FUEL LINE DISCONNECT tools. If I remember right the white one is the one that works. You place the tool on the line with the smallest outside diameter facing the fitting and push toward the fitting. Then pull the fuel line out. Pushing in releases the holding ring. To reinstall just insert the line and push in.
The location of the lines was not one of Jaguar Engineering Department's greatest achievements.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:33 PM
GGG
Received 16,760 Likes on 12,149 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigsarve
My fathers xk8 will not start .....
Welcome to the forum Staffan,

I can see you are getting good advice on the fuel pump.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham