XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring modification - where can I connect up ignition live, battery live and earth

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 06:49 AM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Wiring modification - where can I connect up ignition live, battery live and earth

I would like to run wires to the dashboard for the permanent installation of a satnav. I need an earth, an always live (direct to the battery) and also a live only when the ignition is on. I will add inline fuses, unless I can use an already fused connection; the satnav won't be drawing much power.

Suggestions as to where these three wires can safely be connected would be much appreciated!

Old 06-07-2017, 08:06 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Diddion, I recently removed the original Alpine sat nav and installed a Garmin. There is a fused, switched and unswitched connection behind the passenger side glove box. Look for a members post on uTube, he gives a clear step by step description of how to do it all. Also he has a right hand drive XKR which I presume you also have.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

If you are replacing the OEM sat nav, all the connections you need are right there, going, not surprisingly, to the OEM sat nav in the dashboard.

Consult your wiring diagram for the cable colours.

I never understood why that guy who did the youtube video went to all the trouble of connecting it all up at the glove box.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:55 AM

Thanks. However, I want to keep this connection completely separate from the normal wiring loom. This is because I have modified the wiring to bring it to a 3-gauge cluster, but I tried to use Satnav feeds as suggested. Unhappily I almost certainly fried my main instrument cluster, and am currently trying to sort that expensive and self-induced problem.

So I need to connect direct to the relevant feeds and earth, as I don't want to run even the slightest risk of a repeat performance! The easiest place will be at the driver's side fuse box. So, bring on your thoughts!

Old 06-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Diddion, just run a pair of wires to the fuse box. Lots of room to get there. Determine which side of the female fuse holder is hot (battery) for any one fuse and it is the same for that entire ventricle row. Then test to find a fuse tap that is always on, and one that is igniting switched. Solder a convenient fuse holder onto end of each wire (You are plugging into hot side of fuse terminal so existing fuse carries no current).

Should you ever blow a fuse, just go to the fuse box to easily replace it.

They sell "fuse tap" connector in auto store. Easier than trying to get wire strands into the female fuse holder.

Say if you need photo.

John

Old 06-08-2017, 11:46 AM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

I also opted to use the OEM power socket connections in the glove box for my satnav, dash cam & USB charger. You just need to connect a power socket to the wires already there. Don't forget you will also need to install a brown relay in the fusebox in the boot (usually empty socket if the auxiliary power socket has not been fitted)

Old 06-08-2017, 06:43 PM

Thanks for all of these suggestions. What I have eventually hit on is, with the Instrument cluster disconnected, to identify earth, switched and permanent live wires (in each of the live connections by checking resistance - ie continuity - to known sites on the fuse box, and also checking the earth to known earths).

Since the instrument cluster is disconnected, I know that I am not doing something daft