Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB XK8 maybe

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 08:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default WTB XK8 maybe

Hello,
I joined the Forum some years ago when I bought a S Type R. I have owned a number of little British cars including the current Tiger and MGB.
Getting older makes the smaller cars difficult to enjoy. Had considered a Jaguar MK2 for comfort a road car...club drives and outings. But they seem scarce and getting pricey.
Option two is a XK8. Modern , in good supply, stylish and a number in our local Jag club.
Asking the jag veterans what year XK8 should I consider and the primary issues to investigate. Also any recent price on replacing the chain tensioners and other major faults?
Thanks inadvance for and leads and your response
Phil inTenn

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 09:18 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

If you get a 2003 or later with the 4.2L engine you don't have to worry about the chain tensioners. Personally I would suggest doing what I did and get the latest year you can because that is the youngest car.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:50 PM
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2004 (no chain tensioner issue) with only 38380 miles is for sale in the marketplace section.

Ken

Old 05-01-2017, 10:02 PM
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT
Hello,
I joined the Forum some years ago when I bought a S Type R. I have owned a number of little British cars including the current Tiger and MGB.
Getting older makes the smaller cars difficult to enjoy. Had considered a Jaguar MK2 for comfort a road car...club drives and outings. But they seem scarce and getting pricey.
Option two is a XK8. Modern , in good supply, stylish and a number in our local Jag club.
Asking the jag veterans what year XK8 should I consider and the primary issues to investigate. Also any recent price on replacing the chain tensioners and other major faults?
Thanks inadvance for and leads and your response
Phil inTenn
As others have said, get an '03 or later, but given the age of the car I'd buy on condition (and any preferred features) after that.

Make certain that EVERYTHING works (electric windows, convertible roof, seat adjustment and steering wheel adjustment seem to be common faults); Ensure no check engine lights or warning codes on the dash (I'd also check there are no 'pending' codes if you have access to a regular ODBII reader), though there will be a single 1111 indicating checks complete if everything healthy.

Check carefully for leaks (engine, transmission and from the convertible latch (fluid usually appears around the overhead light console). Note that anti-freeze leaks will normally appear to have an orange crust around them.

Also, check that it shifts well, and quietly. If the transmission 'chirps' when accelerating hard from about 10MPH, or the revs seem to 'hunt' (and the transmission slip) at around 40mph both are symptoms that the transmission fluid hasn't been changed. On my car (and a few others I've worked on) changing the fluid (and the transmission pan/filters) cure these

Obvious, but I'd also make sure the interior is in good condition. The driver's seat always seems to wear first, near the bolster.

Good luck - it took me a year to find the 'perfect' car for me!

-Steve

Old 05-02-2017, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 459 Likes on 331 Posts

The timing chain tensioners were actually upgraded to the latest spec on the last of the 4.0 cars (August 2001 engine build) and of course many 4.0 car owners have already upgraded the timing chains anyway. Even if they haven't been done its not that expensive to get them upgraded, so really, as long as the price is right on the car you are looking at there is no reason to avoid 4.0 cars due to the timing chain.

As far as I can see, the biggest upgrade the 4.2 cars had is the six speed ZF gearbox, compared to the problematic 5 speed fitted to the normally aspirated 4.0 cars, and in my opinion, that is worth paying more for.

The supercharged 4.0 cars have the Mercedes gearbox, which also proved very reliable, making the 4.0 XKRs well worth looking at.

Really though, as ever, you should be buying on condition, not age, mileage or price.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:55 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT
..... what year XK8 should I consider and the primary issues to investigate. .....
The FAQ 'sticky' at the top of the thread in XK8/XKR will tell you all about regular issues.

To summarise:

1. tensioners on 4.0 litre (early plastic, finally resolved with 4th generation steel)
2. cooling (early water pump impeller)
3. transmission (so called 'sealed for life')

As others have said, buy primarily on condition and history rather than year.

Graham

Old 05-02-2017, 12:55 PM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

it might be difficult to coordinate, however you should have a good restorer or very skilled body repair professional look for signs of collision repair. A master painter can see it in the finish alone even for perfect work. few things can lead to problems like prior collision damage and improper repair.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XK8 shopper

Many thanks for the valuable insights. It has saved me hours and likely avoiding an expensive mistake. So I am a serious ( I do have cash and spousal permission) shopper for a 2003 or newer XK8.
Currently driving ST 66, passing through OK on to TX tomorrow returning in about eight days.
Flexible on color and milage, clean , accident free, and nearby but have bought remotely before. Previous experience with supercharged Jags nclined me to stay with the naturally aspirated 4.2.
Any suggestions as sources such as Hemmings, Auto trader ....I
Feel free to pm me at below.
Phil in Tenn
pwtrusty@yashoo.com

Old 05-02-2017, 10:28 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Buy Matt's XKR in the classifieds.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:10 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I can assure you there is nothing wrong with the supercharger in my XKR. It just adds more power and enjoyment for me!