XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 convertible top not latched

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default XK8 convertible top not latched

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 2002 XK8 from a dealer in Texas. I am in California. The car is OK on the outside, but someone has treated it badly. One of the many messages I get on the readout is Convertible top not latched. It appears that the hydralic actuator has been disabled and a hex tool is used to latch and unlatch the top. It goes up and down just fine, but I can't get the error message to go away. I am OK with latching the top manually for the moment, I have more urgent issues to deal with first. Where is the sensor that "tells" the computer the top is unlatched. I removed the covering over the latch, but I don't see any obvious contact.
Thank for any help you may give.
Lanny Netz

Old 12-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Welcome to the furum Lanny. Sorry I can't help on this one bet there are plenty who can.
Hang in there this forum will help.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

While you are waiting, it would be a good time to head for New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 12-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Lanny
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 2002 XK8 from a dealer in Texas. I am in California. The car is OK on the outside, but someone has treated it badly. One of the many messages I get on the readout is Convertible top not latched. It appears that the hydralic actuator has been disabled and a hex tool is used to latch and unlatch the top. It goes up and down just fine, but I can't get the error message to go away. I am OK with latching the top manually for the moment, I have more urgent issues to deal with first. Where is the sensor that "tells" the computer the top is unlatched. I removed the covering over the latch, but I don't see any obvious contact.
Lanny Netz

Follow the instructions here on 'To Close the Roof' : JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

If this is done propertly the message should disappear. Please join us the the XK8/R section for help with all your issues.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-12-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Disabled the latch concerns me because you do not know what was done to it. When you are ready to begin working on the roof system to get it working properly let us know. I have a lot of information on my page that might help but it is the modifications that concerns me.

Lanny Netz

Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Thank you for the response.

Gus, after I read the information regarding how the top mechanism works I can see what you mean. There is a lot more going on than just raising or lowering the top. I will start by trying to figure out what "they" did to it. As I mentioned in my original thread, I have many other issues to deal with on this car, probably some that are higher priority. My first concern is that the "check engine" light is on. My scanner gives me a P1647 code, which seems to indicate a bad O2 sensor on the #2 bank. However my ohm meter says that the heater circuit on the #1 bank is open. I really don't see how the dealer that sold me the car from Texas got it through the smog check, but somehow he did. Boy, this is sure a lot more complicated than my hot rods. But, I love a challenge.
Thanks again everyone,
Lanny

Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Welcome

Boy, this is sure a lot more complicated than my hot rods. But, I love a challenge.
I thought the same thing at first, but have come to find out that the various systems are pretty simple. You'll find that the car is pretty "chatty" in terms of sending messages - most of which are just informational - but until you get used to that it will seem that a lot is wrong. As the British say, "Keep calm and carry on!"

There are just 3 or 4 major areas to address with an older XK8 - the top is one of them. In time you will read about Secondary Tensioners, ABS/TRAC and Throttle Body Sensors. Each topic is very well documented on the forum in terms of diagnosis and resolution. None is a big deal, really. The rest is simply older car maintenance.

Many XK's arrive here sort of tired out and with deferred maintenance histories. Mine was, but I worked through each issue as they came up and now have a very reliable and cool daily driver!

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure nothing will come up that hasn't been covered here in great detail...