Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xk8 drivers seat and telescoping wheel not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts
Default xk8 drivers seat and telescoping wheel not working

Hey all.

I just picked up a 2000 xk8 and the telescoping wheel and drivers seat are not functioning. And when I say not functioning, I mean no movement whatsoever and no sound, not even a click.
Heres what i did so far.

Checked all fuses.
Swapped seat control module from working passenger seat
swapped seat switch from working passenger seat.
cleaned main harness connectors.

I have a feeling that the steering wheel movement and the drivers seat not working are correlated. Any advice on where to go from here? BTW, everything else works in the car so i think i can rule out body control module

Old 05-19-2014, 11:20 PM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

The two may not be correlated at all, as the servo motors for the steering wheel go out very often.

Is there any current going to the seat switch?

Maybe a frayed wire or it's grounding out?

It could even be the seat motor itself if you're getting current to the switch.

If so, many times the seat motor will start working if you hold the seat position switch in one direction while tapping on the motor itself.

This is similar to a starter when you can hear the starter solenoid kick in, but the starter doesn't turn.

A swift rap with a hammer can get it turning again.

As motor brushes wear out, they can land right in between two commutators and won't close the circuit the next time you try it.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:07 AM
Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I pulled the carpet and saw that it was a little wet under the carpet foam. I compared the pass seat voltage and continuity and found a short in the driver connector. Fixed the short and Now the seat is fixed.

Low and behold, the steering wheel started moving too, but only on its own when the switch is on auto. I cannot control it moving up and down. Any advice here?

Old 05-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default tilt issues

I have a similar problem. See my post from today, may 21. up/down issues: Use the memory button to adjust. Take off valence and steerign wheel cowl cover. Unplug the white 5 wire plug to motor. Now you can easily turn the strut that moves the wheel up and down. It is real easy to move when unplugged. If you feel like you are forcing anything - you unpplugge the wrong wire STOP. move all the way up. Reconnect power, turn off auto movement, ignition on. Set as memory 1; ingnition off, unplug motor, screw all the way down, replug, set as memory 2. Put it all back together - now you can use your memory buttons to adjust wheel tilt. hope it helps. John