Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XK8 exhaust witchcraft

Look at this!

Old 04-21-2017, 01:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Frankly a little over the top, look at me I need attention. No style or class, but to each there own.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Clearly they had no appreciation for the car as evidenced by drilling a hole in the wood to put their f-ing cheap switch.

I agree with J its all about the noise with them. Next they will probably replace the tips with megaphones.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:12 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

In every case I preferred the sound with the valves off. Also, that was a more "authoritative" exhaust sound than stock to begin with from those I've heard. I liked it (with valves off, of course).

Old 04-21-2017, 12:52 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

One of the reasons I picked the XK8 is because it has a civilized, diginified and non-intimidating exhasut note which fits in perfectly with the image I want myself to be projected in together with the timeless shape of the XK8, which is totally different from the likes of loud and rude and erotically sculpted Aston Martins, Ferraris, Lamboghinis, Maseratis, McLarens, Porsches which I simply refuse to be seen in one blaring away from a traffic light...

Unfortunately, this fine British elegant tradition of Jaguar is no longer carried forward to the F-type which I would not touch since it is noisy and does not have more than 2 seats...

Old 04-21-2017, 01:13 PM

Why wouldn't you just route the switch somewhere else in the car....

And, isn't that the advantage in having the option to bypass? Did you see that part of the video?

I'd be curious to see stats to know whether there's significant performance gain though, too.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:17 PM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

yuck

Old 04-21-2017, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Incroyable

I like the burble at low rpm - above that it sounds like my chainsaw.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Thumbs down

emaychbe,

My question is: After listening to all the noise, does it increase the HP? Also, I noticed some smoke coming from the tailpipes while you were over revving it....You should check the Filters in your Cam Covers......They appear to be fouled with gunk! Clean those Filters and then remember to change the Oil every 3,500 to 4,000 miles Max to prevent the guck build-up in the future! Mobil 1 5/30 will help.......and STOP over revving it!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-21-2017, 06:51 PM

In looking online for exhaust options, I found this video. It's from a France-based aftermarket exhaust manufacturer, as branded on the video. I think it's pretty innovative to have the 2 options. I also prefer to hear some kind of growl, rather than hearing the awkward sound of leaves and dirt blowing away from the tailpipe due to having what must be the quietest exhaust stock system known to man. After all, it is a big cat..

Old 04-21-2017, 06:53 PM

...meaning that is not my car.

And yes of course, loudness is directly proportional to HP increase, isn't that a well-known fact? lol..

Old 04-21-2017, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by WAFlowers
In every case I preferred the sound with the valves off. Also, that was a more "authoritative" exhaust sound than stock to begin with from those I've heard. I liked it (with valves off, of course).
Yeah I agree both settings on their system seem to be louder than stock. Then again most of the system is changed.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:00 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

I love a rude Aston...
but this exhaust just cheapens the Jaguar. Sounds like every Subaru that is in LA...

Old 04-21-2017, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
Incroyable

I like the burble at low rpm - above that it sounds like my chainsaw.

hhaha I like the crackle at high revs, rather than the tone of the low end - that sound reminds me of a '72 half ton at the farm with 600,000 miles. Not a bad thing to think of, but it doesn't exactly say 'british sport performance' either.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

So basically one side has a muffler and one side a straight pipe (with X-overs front and rear) and the valve opens the straight pipe side.

With the valve open, one side should be significantly louder than the other. It would be hard to tell on video.

I doubt there's a significant performance increase, but I'd bet there is a DECREASE vs. stock with the valve closed.

Last edited by Ungn; 04-21-2017 at 09:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rogerj (04-27-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by emaychbe
In looking online for exhaust options, I found this video. It's from a France-based aftermarket exhaust manufacturer, as branded on the video. I think it's pretty innovative to have the 2 options. I also prefer to hear some kind of growl, rather than hearing the awkward sound of leaves and dirt blowing away from the tailpipe due to having what must be the quietest exhaust stock system known to man. After all, it is a big cat..
emaychbe, That's not very nice, you should identify the situation before throwing it out there for all to see.....I thought it was your Jag and so did most of the other people that commented on it! Heck, I was even trying to help you solve a problem......A lot of wasted time an energy Man.......Boo to you...

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-21-2017, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
emaychbe, That's not very nice, you should identify the situation before throwing it out there for all to see.....I thought it was your Jag and so did most of the other people that commented on it! Heck, I was even trying to help you solve a problem......A lot of wasted time an energy Man.......Boo to you...

Billy Clyde in Houston
I think you read into "Look at this!" way too deep, man. I didn't realize this forum is exclusively for fixing problems though, isn't it equally for sharing anything related to a vehicle? Damn, I didn't know drawing attention to an exhaust system would put me on trial.

The following 2 users liked this post by emaychbe:
athiker81 (04-24-2017), Jag#4 (04-22-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ungn
So basically one side has a muffler and one side a straight pipe (with X-overs front and rear) and the valve opens the straight pipe side.

With the valve open, one side should be significantly louder than the other. It would be hard to tell on video.

I doubt there's a significant performance increase, but I'd bet there is a DECREASE vs. stock with the valve closed.
Good point about different loudness on each side, that would be interesting to find out. I've checked their other videos and none show that either, that I could find. Hard to say about the performance.