XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 Front End Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XK8 Front End Alignment

I just had the front rear lower Control Arms replaced in my 2001 XK8 and am now wondering about getting an alignment. Is this something best left to a dealer with all the special tools and knowledge or is it OK if a tire store, such as Les Schwab, gives it a try?

Schwab quoted $70
Dealer quoted $150 - $450

Will the dealer do that better of a job or are they blowing smoke and demanding a lot more money?

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

it depends on the PERSON doing your alignment. Ive worked on Jags 16yrs and know what they like and what works best for handling and tire wear. Now if you just want a alignment sheet that shows all green, anyone can do that.
oh and what shape are you Upper front shock mounts in? they are often shot affecting camber and ride height. If theres any crumbling of the material around the upper shock stem then theyre bad. Of course most non Jagaur shops have little idea what are issues and whats not on the car.
I look at it this way, you want your heart checked out but you dont want to see a cardiologist, just your general practitioner since he's cheaper. Whats the better choice

Last edited by Brutal; 02-18-2014 at 10:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SteveJacks (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I can not comment on your dealers or otherwise but here in the UK you will get a similar quote or 3X plus the local alignment places but all that happens is the dealer waits for you to leave and drives your car next door to the place who quoted you the lesser price, I don't know any of our dealers who have the sort of equipment to do laser alignment and I am not talking about the simple tracking devices with a couple of laser pens taped to them even I have those but the places that have the full kit which costs a serious amount of money that need to work constantly and not just on a couple of cars a dealer may have in to check each week

Old 02-18-2014, 05:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could someone please check the Jaguar documents and find if the alignment specs below for my 2001 XK8 Coupe are correct?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails XK8 Front End Alignment-xj8alignment_zps3fd0e716.jpg  
Old 02-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
it depends on the PERSON doing your alignment. Ive worked on Jags 16yrs and know what they like and what works best for handling and tire wear. Now if you just want a alignment sheet that shows all green, anyone can do that.
oh and what shape are you Upper front shock mounts in? they are often shot affecting camber and ride height. If theres any crumbling of the material around the upper shock stem then theyre bad. Of course most non Jagaur shops have little idea what are issues and whats not on the car.
I look at it this way, you want your heart checked out but you dont want to see a cardiologist, just your general practitioner since he's cheaper. Whats the better choice
I have read nearly every alignment post on this forum, and particularly have paid close attention to Brutal's posts and can't say enough about his insight. I had struggled myself with alignment within the green yet still wore out tires extremely prematurely, and with the knowledge gained, and some polite yet firm discussions with a local alignment/tire shop, I have formed a relationship to the point where the tech and I look at the car, the tires, and the "current state" alignment together, and work out a plan for the toe. The fact is, on the front, only toe is adjustable, and it affects camber, and if camber is really off as Brutal mentions, parts must be replaced. As Brutal has said many times, regarding the front, pushing out on the front wheels to simulate what the wheels do when driving (naturally toe out) and adjusting for more toe in to compensate for negative camber, is key. And on the rear, similar to front, toe affects camber to some degree (pun intended), so I toe in on the rear too. Shims can be installed to adjust camber in the rear, but too much negative camber on the rear also is a sign of worn parts. Bottom line, educate yourself, and involve yourself.

Last edited by SteveJacks; 02-18-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Brutal (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 05:31 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

From experience...don't use the general 'tire outfitter' for these cars. Go to the dealer for your alignment, and save yourself headaches, tires, and aspirin.

Brutal (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Just as a side note, I've learned that inflating above 30 psi on the two rear tires causes them to wear prematurely right down the center. I'm accustomed to running just about all of our vehicles' tires at 34 psi, but if I do that on the XK8 both rear tires will suffer fairly quickly....

Old 02-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveJacks
I have read nearly every alignment post on this forum, and particularly have paid close attention to Brutal's posts and can't say enough about his insight. I had struggled myself with alignment within the green yet still wore out tires extremely prematurely, and with the knowledge gained, and some polite yet firm discussions with a local alignment/tire shop, I have formed a relationship to the point where the tech and I look at the car, the tires, and the "current state" alignment together, and work out a plan for the toe. The fact is, on the front, only toe is adjustable, and it affects camber, and if camber is really off as Brutal mentions, parts must be replaced. As Brutal has said many times, regarding the front, pushing out on the front wheels to simulate what the wheels do when driving (naturally toe out) and adjusting for more toe in to compensate for negative camber, is key. And on the rear, similar to front, toe affects camber to some degree (pun intended), so I toe in on the rear too. Shims can be installed to adjust camber in the rear, but too much negative camber on the rear also is a sign of worn parts. Bottom line, educate yourself, and involve yourself.
just a small correction, its not to comphensate for negative camber. But shows how much play(tolerances) are in YOUR cars suspension. It does nothing more than takes up the tolerances(play) in the suspension and you can see this on the alignment rack and adjust for it. Not looking at that is why I always here people say my tires are wearing out but the alignment is in the green! Uh yeah because its a tool. not a fact like gravity or death.
You drive to work on the road, not on a alignment rack. Look what the tires say not just the machine, and check for toe out under simulated forces the car will see when driving. Do this by pushing out to see where the toe falls. Merecedes has been requesting this to be done(presser bar) on their cars for decades and it works well to check on all cars. You dont need a special tool just long enough arms.
And thanks for the kind words

Last edited by Brutal; 02-19-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I have to agree with Brutal on this..... It is all very we'll keeping things in the green and having your XK sorted how Jaguar intended, but let's face it Jaguar does not know the roads you live down, what you need in the ideal world is a guy who does not only know how to use the machine but who can read your tires, unfortunately these guys are few and far between and a lot of places will not move outside the norm because it contradicts what there policy may say...... Good luck

Last edited by XKRacer; 02-19-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Tubeviper, thanks for stirring this topic up. I have replaced upper wishbone bushings and ball joints and my shock mounts (shock bushings seem fine). I am preparing to get new front tires as mine were worn on the inside edges...I suspect from the shock mount issue? I have noticed when I have the car on a jack that now I can get NO play when I pull back and forth on the top of the tire (12 O'Clock) but I DO GET A LOT OF PLAY side to side (IE 1/8" inch or so) when pulling at 3 and 9 Oclock. But it all comes from the shaft moving at the steering rack (IE no movement at wishbone bushings). Anyone know if that is normal...should our wheels give when you pull and push your tires at 3 and 9 O'Clock?

Thanks, Jac

Old 03-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I can not comment on your dealers or otherwise but here in the UK you will get a similar quote or 3X plus the local alignment places but all that happens is the dealer waits for you to leave and drives your car next door to the place who quoted you the lesser price, I don't know any of our dealers who have the sort of equipment to do laser alignment and I am not talking about the simple tracking devices with a couple of laser pens taped to them even I have those but the places that have the full kit which costs a serious amount of money that need to work constantly and not just on a couple of cars a dealer may have in to check each week
I totally agree with XK Racer, I've just used national chain of service/mot/tyre outfits and they have all the equipment, the experience and refer to the specs etc. a full job costs £28 vs £120+ at the main dealers who I suspect use the same chain I've just used as it's just around the corner from their place.