XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xk8 front grille

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Xk8 front grille

hi I have a 1999 XK8 with a replacement mesh grille. Is there an easy way to restore it to the standard grille as it came out of the factory? This picture shows what i currently have

Attached Thumbnails Xk8 front grille-jag5.jpg  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by millhouse_corfe
hi I have a 1999 XK8 with a replacement mesh grille. Is there an easy way to restore it to the standard grille as it came out of the factory? This picture shows what i currently have
Actually, I think that it looks a lot Better than the Standard XK8 Grille!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree that this looks better than stock. Take a poll.

There may be someone willing to trade original hardware for your grille, especially if it
is in good condition. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ho Millhouse!
If you really are sincere about changing, I have the bits, bumperettes and center bar from my 2000 in British Racing Green. You can have if you cover postage.

The following users liked this post:
millhouse_corfe (05-04-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Default XK8 grille

Thank you for input gentlemen,
Now you have me thinking! I have always been a traditionalist and tried to keep my cars as stock as possible with the only changes not being visible or very subtle. The wolf in lambs clothing if you like. I have never been one for ostentatious displays, but your responses are encouraging. I love the Xk8 as its close styling links to the E type which i have admired since a child and being brought up in London in the the 60s and 70s saw quite a few of those lovely Jaguars on the streets. So i guess i will take the poll and gauge public opinion. Thank you for the offer of the stock grille which i will cheerfully pay the postage depending on the outcome of opinions.

Kind regards
Oliver

Old 05-01-2012, 06:17 PM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

I would change it back to the original XK8 grille IMO. The factory mesh grille looks hideous on this model (only, XJs, X, S, all look good with mesh) and it gets worse with the aftermarket mesh grilles. All of the meshes, including the factory one, look like a high school shop project gone bad.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not a fan of the one piece mesh grills either. I do like the split mesh grills on the pre-2005(?) XKR's.

If it were mine I think I'd change it back to the stock XK8 grill or consider having this one powder coated a more subdued color like dark grey or a different shade of blue.

Trending Topics

Old 05-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine is stock and I wouldn't change it to a mesh style. Still each to their own.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by steve11
I would change it back to the original XK8 grille IMO. The factory mesh grille looks hideous on this model (only, XJs, X, S, all look good with mesh) and it gets worse with the aftermarket mesh grilles. All of the meshes, including the factory one, look like a high school shop project gone bad.

I have never been much of a fan of the mesh grill on the 2005 and 2006 XKR models even though I have one of these. The thing is I do not think the problem so much is with the grill itself but rather the placement of the grill in the opening. If it was recessed an inch or so rather than being virtually flush with the opening, it would look much better (similar to the placement of the 3-piece mesh grills in the pre-2005 models).

Doug

Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree with Seismic Guy.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:54 PM

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your feedback, I tend to agree stock does look better and the numberplate does ground on speed humps too as it is lower than stock. It would look better if recessed and was black too. It does look like a Halfords accessory that boy racers would enjoy at present. Think i may take up Bertram Woosters kind offer.

Kind regards
Oliver

Old 05-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I cant help when i see the mesh how it reminds me of 1960s convector heaters we used before the days of central heating. It looks ok and serves a purpose on race cars etc. The factory chrome splitter and overiders are a feature that need no alteration as far as i'm concerned.
As mentioned, if the mesh were set much further back and not so reflective, i think it would work really well. How they are usually fitted
detracts from the overall effect of that lovely sculptured and functional air intake.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am a traditionalist, so I would go back to the original.

Is the location of the number plate on your car standard in Britain? Here they are mounted in the middle of the grill and look awful. I have removed mine, which is illegal in Washington state.

If you moved it yourself I would like to find out what you did.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:47 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenryr
I am a traditionalist, so I would go back to the original.

Is the location of the number plate on your car standard in Britain? Here they are mounted in the middle of the grill and look awful. I have removed mine, which is illegal in Washington state.

If you moved it yourself I would like to find out what you did.
Number plate size, colour and font must comply with regulations in the UK. Jaguar supply a black plastic mounting bracket and there is a little flexibility in exactly where it can be attached. Both these XK8's have the original standard grilles and use the same Jaguar mounting bracket:

Xk8 front grille-front-number-plates.jpg

My last 2001 XK8 on the right has the bracket below the intake grille whereas my current 2005 XK8 on the left has it fitted higher up covering part of the grille.

My preference is for the number to be below the grille. The 2005 looks dreadful!

Graham

Old 05-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Default xk8 grille and number plate placement

Hi,
I bought the car with the mesh grille and number plate in situ. It passed an MOT a week or so before i bought the car so I assume its legal. I do wish to comply with the law regarding numberplate placement. I dont really want the filth pulling me over every 5 minutes! Given the examples from your replies I would personally prefer the traditional grille with the plate below it and not just underneath it preventing airflow and cooling to the engine and of course to display the excellent Jaguar designers original designs!

Cheers
Oliver

Old 05-03-2012, 05:09 PM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by millhouse_corfe
...........I assume its legal. I do wish to comply with the law regarding numberplate placement. I dont really want the filth pulling me over every 5 minutes!..........
Your number plate location complies with UK regulations. There is no mandatory requirement to have it fixed higher like my 2005 XK8 4.2-S.

Graham

Old 05-04-2012, 06:23 AM

How much? I'm interested in your grille parts. Thanks

Old 05-04-2012, 06:27 AM
Default Im interested in grille parts

How much is postage?

Old 05-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,258 Likes on 564 Posts

Damn... If I still had my XK8 I would gladly take my factory parts and ship them to you in exchange for your super cool and nifty mesh grill.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I got rid of the buck-tooth stock assembly and am very happy with the mesh that I got from Welches. I was looking at a 2005 with the stock mesh and my aftermarket is nearly the same. And yes, it would look even better if recessed but then you'd have to cut a couple of inches off the aluminum extensions that support the bumperettes. That would leave your plastic bumper cover very vulnerable to a contact.

Each to his/her own of course, other wise we'd all be driving Fiat's of the same colour.

Quick Reply: Xk8 front grille