XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 gone in for two weeks for a little cosmetic surgery!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default XK8 gone in for two weeks for a little cosmetic surgery!

Reluctantly I dropped off my XK8 to my body shop. He looked me dead in the eyes and said "today's the day, what's the color?" We fanned out the metallic black swatches and I kept going back to Ferrari Nero Daytona Metallic Black. Slightly warm, a bit of blue, just a fantastic color.
I couldn't bring myself to change the color to stratus grey. I think, no, I know I made the right choice.
And he's also doing my shock mounts and lowering springs. So I've got a lot to look forward to while I'm gone to the High Point Furniture Market trade show for two weeks.
I hope it's ready by the next "cars and coffee" in Charlotte NC!
XK8 gone in for two weeks for a little cosmetic surgery!-image.jpg
He asked me if I wanted my black mesh grille painted e same color as well. Never thought about that! Although I don't want it to look as if he forgot to take it off!!
And he also wants to know if the Dorchester grey should be painted as well. I think so.

Last edited by philhef; 10-14-2013 at 06:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MFoncerrada8 (10-14-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Good luck, Phil. What are going to have him do about the color transitions (door edges, underside of bonnet and boot, engine bay, etc)?

Coincidentally, my coupe is going in TOMORROW for a full respray. But we're doing quite a bit of work...blended X150 side sills, blended boot spoiler, 2005 rear bumper with side markers filled and flush, antenna hole filled and flush, front fender side markers filled and flush, side trim removed.

They're also going to be repairing a section of rust under the passenger footwell, a common problem on all of our cars.

All trim will be painted as well.

Funny enough, I'm a bit nervous about it all. I've been planning, saving and waiting for two years for this project.

Best wishes for your ride and its latest transition.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Coupe
Good luck, Phil. What are going to have him do about the color transitions (door edges, underside of bonnet and boot, engine bay, etc)?

Coincidentally, my coupe is going in TOMORROW for a full respray. But we're doing quite a bit of work...blended X150 side sills, blended boot spoiler, 2005 rear bumper with side markers filled and flush, antenna hole filled and flush, front fender side markers filled and flush, side trim removed.

They're also going to be repairing a section of rust under the passenger footwell, a common problem on all of our cars.

All trim will be painted as well.

Funny enough, I'm a bit nervous about it all. I've been planning, saving and waiting for two years for this project.

Best wishes for your ride and its latest transition.

Good luck with yours!!
I am still on the fence about filling the side markers. I've got until Friday for that. Since I put the arden kit on, my rear bumper is already like the late model.
And as for the transitions, that's one reason I went with a black metallic. He's doing the door jams and such but I'm not doing under the bonnet or boot, only up to the rubber seal. I'm still looking at my XF side vents and debating on making them fit.
I actually removed my spoiler and used the new jaguar logo and leaper on the boot. He's painting it also though just in case I want to put it n in the future. XK8 gone in for two weeks for a little cosmetic surgery!-image.jpg

The following users liked this post:
Bob OB (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 06:48 AM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Phil, I have to admint that I am looking forward for the results, and the pictures! I am normally a person that prefer to keep my cars as stock as possible, but what you have done is amazing, and in my opinion in very good taste!

You are doing to the XK what the Eagle Speedster is to the E-type. Go and look at Eagle Speedster / Home if you have not yet.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JSC
Phil, I have to admint that I am looking forward for the results, and the pictures! I am normally a person that prefer to keep my cars as stock as possible, but what you have done is amazing, and in my opinion in very good taste!

You are doing to the XK what the Eagle Speedster is to the E-type. Go and look at Eagle Speedster / Home if you have not yet.
Oh yes. Thats my dream car!! Best of both worlds!! And thanks for the comime

Last edited by philhef; 10-15-2013 at 08:56 AM.