XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8: Week one impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 02:29 PM
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts
Default XK8: Week one impressions

I purchased this 2006 XK8 w/ 60,000 miles about a week ago and, after driving it approx. 100 miles, I would like to share my initial impressions with this forum.

To start, before I even get in the car I just stare at its classic beauty. I have to say that after owning a few Mercedes convertibles this car is much more attractive. And by more attractive, I mean sexy. The first time I pulled into a gas station to fill up two people gathered around to take a closer look and voice their superlatives. They loved the curves and classy lines and who wouldn't?

Now, to my driving impressions. In all candor, I have to say this convertible is as close to driving a motorcycle as one can get without getting run off the road. A soft and cushy ride it is not but that is not a complaint. The car rides fairly firm with almost every bump in the rode being felt and that's a good thing because that translates to driver involvement. It makes me feel like I'm driving a car and not a sofa on wheels.

Acceleration? Well, with approx. 300 horsepower I expected more but it will suffice for my style of driving. The car launches off the line briskly and that's enough for me since I'm not into racing kids in their mustangs and ricers. Nope, just cruising along with a huge grin on my face and the wind blowing thru my receding hairline will do.

Before I get too carried away, I have to say I do like the car. It's OLD SCHOOL for certain but I think that's its charm - classy and understated. Granted, I wouldn't consider it as a daily driver because, in all likely hood, it would destroy my aging back but as a weekend cruiser, it's the bomb. So, as long as I can keep lathering sunscreen on my forehead, I plan on driving this baby into the ground. (That is unless I win the lottery then a new Ferrari will be in order.)

Sorry for the long winded narrative but I'm glad I found this forum and thought I'd share my initial thoughts.

Last edited by SLazz; 04-08-2018 at 03:43 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by SLazz:
DonLafferty (04-08-2018), Fairfalcon (04-08-2018), GBCat (04-09-2018), GGG (04-09-2018), Johnken (04-10-2018), michaelh (04-08-2018), Orthodixie (04-08-2018), RaceDiagnostics (04-10-2018), reb1999 (04-09-2018) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-08-2018, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Great write up, glad you're enjoying it!

Re acelleration- many of new owners, myself included, don't realize that with Trac on (Red LED not lit) you may sacrifice some horsepower. If the car senses any wheel spin it noticeably reduces engine power. This for me is most noticed on WOT left hand turns across oncoming traffic.

BTW don't forget to try turning Sport off and feel the torque of the engine operating at lower RPM. No faster, but an Interesting comparison.

Welcome to the club!

John

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
CorStevens (04-09-2018), SLazz (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Oh dear. Sounds like you're hooked

Glad it works for you - these cats are something special, IMO.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
SLazz (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So glad to hear you're enjoying it. I know we both looked at the same car at A-Lux and both came close to buying it.

That silver is truly a beautiful color.

I live in Winnetka. Where are you?

I've heard of some Jag get togethers and I'm thinking of attending one soon.

Don

Old 04-08-2018, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by DonLafferty
So glad to hear you're enjoying it. I know we both looked at the same car at A-Lux and both came close to buying it.

That silver is truly a beautiful color.

I live in Winnetka. Where are you?

I've heard of some Jag get togethers and I'm thinking of attending one soon.

Don
Thanks for the compliment.

I live in Yorba Linda, CA. I would like to meet a few local fellow members. Maybe we can put the word out.

FYI, my new to me silver XK8 is destined for a life in Palm Springs as a condo car. It will serve me well.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

I'm surprised about the ride quality - my 2001 XKR convertible on 20" Detroits is very comfortable. Maybe after 10 years yours needs an overhaul of the suspension?

Old 04-09-2018, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Tyres (tires) may be part of it or pressures.

For more power, swap to XKR

Old 04-09-2018, 08:33 AM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

I am also surprised about your comment on ride. I have a 2004 and it rides beautifully. I'm an old guy with assorted metal bits in my hips & knees so a nice ride is important to me As for power, she's not a drag racer, she's a GT...but just try this...... Engage sport mode and floor it at 50 kph ( 30 mph) ...it's like hitting warp drive and will scare the crap out of you and most rice-burners and Mustangs

Plus you have THE BEST LOOKING vehicle on the road ( with the possible exception of an E-Type )

Old 04-09-2018, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by SLazz
Acceleration? Well, with approx. 300 horsepower I expected more
When in doubt, double check the adjustment for the accelerator pedal sensor for any slack. Taking the slack off makes the car so much more responsive. The pedal cable goes to a sensor in the driver side engine compartment bin, next to the brake fluid reservoir. There is a "fork" that holds the cable to the sensor. Check there is no excessive slack. If you relocate it, make sure you exercise the pedal along its entire travel range (to the floor and back) engine OFF, ignition ON so the ECU can re-learn.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

I can usually make my cat "roar" at will when passing a slow poke with judicious smashing of accelerator. It can be surprising. Don't keep that cat in the garage too much, they need exercise. Nice car.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:35 AM

double post....rookie mistake. see below comment.

Last edited by SLazz; 04-09-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:36 AM

Thanks to all for the nice comments. I think the car rides a little stiff for two reasons. First, it's the 19" low profile tires. I think I'll let a little air out of the tires to help soften up the ride. Second, the back roads I drove on to test the car were in somewhat rough shape. While driving on the main highway the car was smooth. The car felt planted, not like it was floating or meandering. So, I don't think the car needs shocks. Just a little getting use to.

The accelerator pedal does feel a bit stiff. Not sure if that's normal. I'll look into it. And as far as putting the miles on the car, well. I'm expecting to drive no more than 2,000 to 3,000 miles a year. Top down cruising is what the car is all about. I think that will keep the car in good shape.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the purchase and again, thanks for the nice comments.

Last edited by SLazz; 04-09-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

..... my new to me silver XK8 is destined for a life in Palm Springs as a condo car. .....
That must be some size condo!

I've driven XK8's on 18, 19 and 20 inch wheels; XK's on 19 and 20 inch. For me the 20 inch gives a harsh ride on both models and 19 inch is the best compromise between appearance and ride quality.

On the XK8/XKR, suspension bushes take a pounding and, because they are rubber, deteriorate with time as well as mileage. The only way to assess if ride quality is correct is to drive other examples for comparison. I once had the opportunity to try two identical 2001 XK8's with 50k miles. One was due a suspension rebuild and the other had just had new bushes and dampers all round. The difference was staggering. Suspension wear creeps up gradually and is easily overlooked.

Graham

Old 04-09-2018, 10:45 AM
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I took mine out last night for a spin. Driving at night in the Palm Springs area for me is the best time. Temperature was perfect and the wind had died down. I'll be taking it out next weekend as that is when the Coachella music Festival is starting. Get lots of stares from bikini clad concert goers.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Tyres (tires) may be part of it or pressures.

For more power, swap to XKR
I didn't think about the tire pressure having a negative effect on the ride quality. My car came with Hankook Evo Summer tires that are running 34 PSI all around which seems a bit high. I think I'll lower the tire pressure to 30 PSI in the rear and 28 in the front. BTW, I never have put Hankooks on any of my previous cars. I always ran Michellin but these are new tires so, I'll try them out for a while.

As far as having an XKR...that would be nice but the XK8 has plenty of power for my type of driving. My XK8 is a cruiser and not a bruiser and that's fine with this old guy.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

I didn't think about the tire pressure having a negative effect on the ride quality. My car came with Hankook Evo Summer tires that are running 34 PSI all around which seems a bit high. I think I'll lower the tire pressure to 30 PSI in the rear and 28 in the front. BTW, I never have put Hankooks on any of my previous cars. I always ran Michellin but these are new tires so, I'll try them out for a while.

As far as having an XKR...that would be nice but the XK8 has plenty of power for my type of driving. My XK8 is a cruiser and not a bruiser and that's fine with this old guy.
I would recommend you start with 32 front and 30 rear.

These cars typically wear the centers out of the rears so check them often. I have found that going under 32 in the front will cause my steering to feel encumbered.

Considering how little this car will be used I would also fill the tires with nitrogen if they are not already.

Last edited by rothwell; 04-09-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by rothwell
I would recommend you start with 32 front and 30 rear.

These cars typically wear the centers out of the rears so check them often. I have found that going under 32 in the front will cause my steering to feel encumbered.

Considering how little this car will be used I would also fill the tires with nitrogen if they are not already.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go.....32 in the front and 30 in the rear.I'll look into nitrogen as well. Thanks again!

Old 04-09-2018, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 652 Likes on 317 Posts

My05 is quite a bit quicker now then when I purchased it, that said here was my recipe:
adjust the throttle cable (took me three attempts to get it the way I like

except on the hiway I always have it in 5

except on the hiway the sport button is always pushed in (red light on)

when I want to play I press in the DSC off button

each one of these parameters makes a difference and when all are utilized at the same time the car is more responsive to throttle input

It doesn't go any faster but it is quicker
this will suffice until I find the right XKR

wj

Old 04-10-2018, 01:51 PM

As suggested, I drove the car with the transmission set on the "5" spot and in the Sport Mode. That made a significant difference in throttle response. I think it's the best setting for zipping around town. I will set the transmission in Drive with the Spot Mode off.

I did reduce the tire pressure to 32 psi in the front and 30 psi in the back and that also made a significant and positive effect on the ride quality. I thank the members for the advice and my back thanks them too!

Now......I have to figure out which ceramic brake pads will be best for getting rid of that annoying brake dust. Suggestions anyone? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 652 Likes on 317 Posts

here you go...

Akebono EUR394A EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: XK8: Week one impressions