Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 Window problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 722 Posts
Default XK8 Window problems

Before I get down to business, since I'm new hear, I might as well introduce myself. I'm a young college student studying science. My goal is to become a doctor, I would like most of all to become a neurologist.

My car is a hand me down, and one that I love but I, unfortunately can't afford to maintain it. Sadly, I can't really sell it either. I own a black on black with walnut wood veneer Jaguar XK8 convertible, model year 2000. It's got a mere 68k miles on the odometer, of which I have put in about 9k of them since I've had the car. I've had it since March.

How I came into possession of the car is a bit of a story. I was in the market for more economical car such as a Civic, a Veloster and ahem, a Corolla. Being the enthusiast though, I couldn't choose a car because none of them really appealed to me. I had finally decided on a used Mini, which I was expecting to have a few mechanical problems. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford any car, not even a beater, so it was, for the most part, wishful thinking. After my parents divorce it seemed like I'd be spending my time on foot, relying on friends to drive me home during the long weekends and holidays. None were too willing to oblige because I live in a town that's at least an hour and a half away from the university. At about March my father was enlightened and decided to help me with my tuition and transportation. When we were doing some car shopping we came across the cruel reality that my dad's credit wouldn't suffice for a new car. So, he decided to fix the XK8 (it had a transmission problem) and gave it to me. I've had the car ever since and I've been surprised by the lack of mechanical problems.

The problems that currently plague it, are mostly cosmetic, i.e. paint chipping. There's one problem I'm having and it's particularly worrisome. The rear quarter glass has, as far as I can remember, had a little issue. It won't lower or raise with the convertible top, and until recently this wasn't a problem because I could do so manually but now, it's stuck in the lowered position and I'm having to remedy with a some carton that I painted black. My parents are both in financial slumps so I can't count on them. I'm waiting for the sports scholarship money in January to set aside for the repair. (I'll have about $400 leftover from it) I did, however inquire at a parts shop and they said the part would run at about $1200, which to me, raises suspicion. Of course, since the guys at the shop didn't check the car, they just jumped to a conclusion, they might have given me the price for the most expensive related part they could find. I also have a problem with the front driver window, it won't budge at all.

The symptoms for the rear drivers side passenger window include the fact that it's stuck. When I press the button for lowering the roof I can hear a steel cable flailing around. As for the drivers side window, when I press the button absolutely nothing happens. If I listen closely though, I can hear a momentary sound, kind of like the one that is made when the window relearns its position. I was able to get the window to lower by hitting on the door from the inside with enough force. I thought that had done some job at fixing it, but when I closed the window it got stuck again. This is a problem because the window doesn't allow me to close the door appropriately.

I'm not sure what would be the problem part with the driver's side window. My dad just told me to use some WD-40 to remoisten the part. He thinks it could be a rusted part, but I can't really see what part it is, or reach it. I think the quarter window matches the description found here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...problem-69774/

I didn't resurrect the thread because I don't know your policy about zombie threads.

As soon as I can buy the part, I'm going to take it upon myself to fit it. I'm just not sure what parts I need to buy. Would I be correct in buying the window regulator described in the previous thread?

I'll post pictures as soon as daylight strikes.

P.S.
I'm sorry about the wall of text. Also, forgive any grammar errors. I'm ESL.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

Just noticed the other thread I linked to isn't outdated. Oops.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Using the instructions from the thread I linked to, I managed to set the glass free by cutting the steel wire. The regulator seems to be banged up a bit, but the motor works flawlessly. Until I can gather some money to buy a new one, I have to lower and raise that quarter window manually, but it's better than having to use cardboard. Overall, I'm happy with my work.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

Whatever works! Good luck in School...

The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. Now, if I could do something about the driver's window. It won't budge. I'll come back with a video tomorrow to better explain that problem.