XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKE hood/bonnet louvers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 10:49 AM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
Default XKE hood/bonnet louvers.

Was looking at pics of XXEs and thought wouldn't those louvers look sweet.
I have an 03 XK8 British Racing Green convertible with Cashmere interior. I think it would over the top.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:12 PM

Couldn't edit. I think it would look over the top. Yes/no?
BTW it also has Apollo 19 inch wheels.

Last edited by Loxmth; 08-16-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Are you saying you want to punch holes in your XK8 hood and put in louvers? I think there was somebody else on the forum here who had done so and posted some photos.

Doug

Old 08-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Yelp, I have the same model only in Seafoam Green. Thought the hood louvers would look nice but then again it would be a little like a poser trying to look like an XKR. Philhef has the "nostril ", my name for lack of a better description, hood bumps which I like a lot also.

Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2014, 03:05 PM

The louvers I want would be the exact size as the XKE and back further back then the R. I really think I'm going to do it.

Last edited by Loxmth; 08-16-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Are you saying you want to punch holes in your XK8 hood and put in louvers? I think there was somebody else on the forum here who had done so and posted some photos.

Doug
That's exactly what I'm saying. It would look sweet and relieve under hood pressure and heat. Not sure why Jaguar didn't do it.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Loxmth
The louvers I want would be the exact size as the XKE and back further back then the R. I really think I'm going to do it.
Got a photo of what you are talking about? What about water on the electronics?

Old 08-16-2014, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Got a photo of what you are talking about? What about water on the electronics?
No photo. Look at an early XKEs hood. As far as water how does the XKR deal with water.
To be honest I treat it like my motorcycle. The top is always down and I try not to get caught in the rain. Not a daily driver.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

any hot rod shop has the tool to do this ... pretty simple, actually.

The following users liked this post:
Loxmth (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by jonscot
any hot rod shop has the tool to do this ... pretty simple, actually.
I know. Very simple and cool.
Nobody has given me any feed back as to the look.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:33 PM

Why can't I post pics? Is it because I'm using a tablet?

Old 08-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Well I googled an XKE to see what you are looking for, strictly a madder of personal preference. I can see where they may look Kool if you are going with a old school hot rod look. Not sure the square box look section of louvers would go well with the flowing lines of the XK8, the XKE has a much more elongated hood and more flat surface area to handle the look. Also I think water would be an issue even if you don't drive in the rain, when cleaning the car water would get in and located on the rear of the hood there's a lot of electronics and the throttle body under that area. As others have noted water under the hood of an XK8 is asking for trouble. This really sucks as I spray down the engine compartment on my other cars every time I wash them, my engine bays are as clean as the outside. You would think the jag could handle this also particularly considering it's made in England which isn't exactly known for dry weather. I have no idea how the XKR handles this, never seen under the hood of one.

Over all I like the idea though, might want to play with the overall shape a little, maybe two smaller side by side rows on each side.

Attached Thumbnails XKE hood/bonnet louvers.-image.jpg  
Old 08-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Loxmth
Why can't I post pics? Is it because I'm using a tablet?
I'm using an iPad and post pics from my iPhone also...

Old 08-16-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Well I googled an XKE to see what you are looking for, strictly a madder of personal preference. I can see where they may look Kool if you are going with a old school hot rod look. Not sure the square box look section of louvers would go well with the flowing lines of the XK8, the XKE has a much more elongated hood and more flat surface area to handle the look. Also I think water would be an issue even if you don't drive in the rain, when cleaning the car water would get in and located on the rear of the hood there's a lot of electronics and the throttle body under that area. As others have noted water under the hood of an XK8 is asking for trouble. This really sucks as I spray down the engine compartment on my other cars every time I wash them, my engine bays are as clean as the outside. You would think the jag could handle this also particularly considering it's made in England which isn't exactly known for dry weather. I have no idea how the XKR handles this, never seen under the hood of one.

Over all I like the idea though, might want to play with the overall shape a little, maybe two smaller side by side rows on each side.
That's it. There must be a way to deal with the water. You know what be awesome,make the louvers into a cold air intake. Oh the wheels are turning.
Plus an R rear spoiler and an early style XKE chin spoiler. I don't think it will aggravate the purist after all that's what our cars where patterned after.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:51 PM

can't help you with the cold air - but its again dirt-simple to make undertrays out of fiberglass, using a plastic tray and some clay as a mold along the underneath side - and just pipe a drain over with some clips in the hood liner. Paint all black, you would barely see it.

We would do the same thing to make scuppers for old sailboats - since there is NO SUCH THING as a straight surface on one...just mold one in place.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:07 PM

can't help you with the cold air - but its again dirt-simple to make undertrays out of fiberglass, using a plastic tray and some clay as a mold along the underneath side - and just pipe a drain over with some clips in the hood liner. Paint all black, you would barely see it.

We would do the same thing to make scuppers for old sailboats - since there is NO SUCH THING as a straight surface on one...just mold one in place.
Right. Many factory cars came with cold air induction. Cowl on a 69 Camaro. Cudas,mustangs etc...
I think the changes I have I mind would complement the styling.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:11 PM

what would you pay, for a kevlar hood in primed gelcoat - in original shape only, that you could cut up without feeling guilty?

I'm starting a repro shop, and hoods, noses and undertrays are tops on my list ...

Old 08-16-2014, 08:10 PM

what would you pay, for a kevlar hood in primed gelcoat - in original shape only, that you could cut up without feeling guilty?

I'm starting a repro shop, and hoods, noses and undertrays are tops on my list ...
Well to be honest I would not feel guilty modifying my hood. The car could use a respray. But the Thought of a lighter hood intrigues me. I'm guessing I would have to cut the hood and add the louvers. I'm interested.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I have a carbon hood on my XKR (have a mold for XKRs) and thinking about fitting Aston DB9 bonnet vents, I have a tool to press the mesh into the right shape...... I experimented on my XJ first and that came out alright IMO

Name:  0ba06f3db1f871f7474ba4c1154fc081_zps098c2892.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  138.6 KB

Old 08-17-2014, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I have a carbon hood on my XKR (have a mold for XKRs) and thinking about fitting Aston DB9 bonnet vents, I have a tool to press the mesh into the right shape...... I experimented on my XJ first and that came out alright IMO

Really nice.

Quick Reply: XKE hood/bonnet louvers.