XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR 2003 safety inspection

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR 2003 safety inspection

I've just imported my '03 xkr convertible into Canada from the US, and I have to pass a safety inspection & complete the licensing here.

Some things arent much of a concern - converting daytime running lights & emissions testing.

On the 500 mi drive home a couple of things happened.

We turned off the hwy & noticed clunking coming from the rear suspension. The car runs smooth & straight still, but a slightly bumpy surface brings out this ugly clunky rattle.

Also along the way I decided to pull up on the parking brake (yes, while stopped). It felt like its not attached to anything, and now the prkg brake light wont go off. The brake lever goes up & down with no resistance.

The car will be visiting a local reputable jaguar service garage this week, but I'm looking for guidance on what I can expect to hear and the type and difficulty of work that may be required.

Many thanks

Old 06-14-2015, 12:53 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Pull your parking brake lever to the top of it's range, push the button, hold it in and lower the handle to release the brake.
I can't tell you much about the clunking: it could be exhaust loose or suspension components that are loose.
Good luck.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:10 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

The clunking could be driveline play which is common, but if you hear it on irregular roads at a steady throttle going slow then more than likely it is the lower shock bushings on the rear shocks. Unlike the front shocks, the rears are more of a challenge to replace, but some forums members have replaced just the lower bushing without removing the shock from the car. You will find the posts if you do a search.

Regarding the e-brake, there is a cable underneath I think just forward of the differential which splits off to each rear brake....it can be adjusted here. I think but can't recall for sure there may also be an adjuster at the e-brake handle. As well, if the e-brake shoes are far out of adjustment it could affect this, and you may need to pull the rear rotors, which are a combo disc and drum, the drum for the e brake, to inspect things. None of the e-brake stuff is that difficult.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:38 PM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi.

To get DRL is a simple programming under "dealer options" using WDS/IDS.(Worldwide Diagnostic System / Integrated Diagnostic System). A Jaguar dealer can fix this in 5 minutes.

As mentioned in an earlier post, the handbrake operation is a kind of special in this car. Pulling the handle is setting the brake, but the handle will drop freely to ease exit/entry.
To release, pull handle up, press and hold button while moving handle down.

Adjusting park brakes is a 20 minutes operation if this should be necessary.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really appreciate your comments, especially about the P'g Brake. I tried your solutions and it works!! Makes me really appreciate the electronic brake my '05 S-Type had.
Because the brake light was on, I couldn't use the cruise control for about half our trip. RELIEVED!!
Now hoping the rear bushing replacement is an easy and inexpensive fix (for the mechanic).

Thanks guys!!