XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR as a Four Door?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Default XKR as a Four Door?

Earlier this year (March), I became a proud owner of a 2005 Jaguar XKR coupe. To say that I love this car would be an understatement. Mind you, I have owned other cars in my previous life that, well, some people would give their left nut for.
My dilemma, if one can call it that, is that the Jag is not my daily driver. I only get to drive it weekends and when the weather is dry. The car is garaged and looks as good as the day it let the factory in Coventry. Come the weekend and I can't wait to drive the Jag, but then it is only locally and with no specific destination = boring. If my wife and I go somewhere outside of the town where I live (Long Island), we're usually accompanied by either friends or/and our children (which is a good thing). Taking two cars defeats the purpose of going somewhere as a group of people, because "getting there" is half the fun and it's even more fun when you can share the ride with your children or friends.
This past weekend my wife and I were invited by our friends to a pool party in Englishtown, NJ. Our friends have children (who are back from college for the summer) and they asked us to see if we can ask my son (19yrs) and daughter (16yrs) to come as well as their children are friends with our children since they were little.
I think you see where I am going with this story . The Jag stayed in the garage as I ended up taking my daily driver (2011 Infinity M37X) to accommodate my family. Now, imagine if the XKR (coupe) had two extra doors. It already has 2 rear seats that are currently useless to carry people with legs, but if the chassis was to be stretched out by 8" - 10" inches, then it would be possible to shorten the front doors by 5" in order to add the rear doors. I envision a similar look to an Aston Martin Rapide. The Jag XKR coupe has incredible proportions and a timeless design. Extending the wheel base by 10", without raising the height, will maintain the coupe look, while accommodating the rear seat passengers, when needed.
Does anyone agree?

Old 07-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by DevSpider
Earlier this year (March), I became a proud owner of a 2005 Jaguar XKR coupe. To say that I love this car would be an understatement. Mind you, I have owned other cars in my previous life that, well, some people would give their left nut for.
My dilemma, if one can call it that, is that the Jag is not my daily driver. I only get to drive it weekends and when the weather is dry. The car is garaged and looks as good as the day it let the factory in Coventry. Come the weekend and I can't wait to drive the Jag, but then it is only locally and with no specific destination = boring. If my wife and I go somewhere outside of the town where I live (Long Island), we're usually accompanied by either friends or/and our children (which is a good thing). Taking two cars defeats the purpose of going somewhere as a group of people, because "getting there" is half the fun and it's even more fun when you can share the ride with your children or friends.
This past weekend my wife and I were invited by our friends to a pool party in Englishtown, NJ. Our friends have children (who are back from college for the summer) and they asked us to see if we can ask my son (19yrs) and daughter (16yrs) to come as well as their children are friends with our children since they were little.
I think you see where I am going with this story . The Jag stayed in the garage as I ended up taking my daily driver (2011 Infinity M37X) to accommodate my family. Now, imagine if the XKR (coupe) had two extra doors. It already has 2 rear seats that are currently useless to carry people with legs, but if the chassis was to be stretched out by 8" - 10" inches, then it would be possible to shorten the front doors by 5" in order to add the rear doors. I envision a similar look to an Aston Martin Rapide. The Jag XKR coupe has incredible proportions and a timeless design. Extending the wheel base by 10", without raising the height, will maintain the coupe look, while accommodating the rear seat passengers, when needed.
Does anyone agree?
You can probably find someone who can photoshop that.
I don't know if you are considering this seriously or not.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:54 PM

I know I can. I want to hear from other XKR owners what they think of the XKR as a sedan.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Would be easier to graft the XKR front/rear onto an X308 XJR?

Old 07-01-2013, 02:31 PM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

A very interesting idea... and you have a coupe already!

Normally, I am against butchering a nice car, but as you have mentioned, the Aston Martin Rapide still has the classic AM two door looks, but it has four doors. Personally, I think it can work.

My only concern would be headroom in the back. Once in a while I clean the inside of the back window, and in the vert with my height.. well I think I have created a few new yoga poses!

+1 Kevin D. Can someone photoshop a picture?

Old 07-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

I like your mindset. But stop where you are now and just shop for a nice Quattroporte- trade in your Infiniti for it, and keep the Jag unscathed.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts

Howdy Folks:
While I had my drivers seat out a few weeks ago, I decided to try out the backseat. The rear seat is very upright, which I did not find comfortable at all. I would be more open to another post that is trying to make better use of the rear seat area; maybe a lockable storage area.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

That is why I bought my XJR, same drive train and performance, but 4 doors.
Vector

Old 07-01-2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Would be easier to graft the XKR front/rear onto an X308 XJR?
Cambo351, before I comment on your comment , allow me to address on your choice of residence - 2 years ago, my wife, 3 couples (friends) and I traveled through Switzerland and France (that trip would make another thread altogether), and, I must say that you are lucky to drive on SWISS roads. I am not quite certain on your exact location, but for 2 weeks we drove through Switzerland (touched a bit of Italian autostrada) before making it to the Monte Carlo and the French Riviera and, it was PUUUUUUURE pleasure. Mind you, we were driving a cavernous Ford S Type. An XKR limo would have been more than welcomed
Now to comment on your comment; I can't... I can't stop laughing at the GIF in your signature logo - sorry, I can't stop laughing

Old 07-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default 2015 xk

As I understand it Jaguar has heard your pain and plans the XK to be a 4 door in the future targeting the Panamerica.

Next Jaguar sedan looks like stretch XK, with four-door "coupe" overtones - Autoblog

Old 07-01-2013, 08:45 PM

[QUOTE=JSC;763681]A very interesting idea... and you have a coupe already!

Normally, I am against butchering a nice car, but as you have mentioned, the Aston Martin Rapide still has the classic AM two door looks, but it has four doors. Personally, I think it can work.
[End of Quote]

My only concern would be headroom in the back. Once in a while I clean the inside of the back window, and in the vert with my height.. well I think I have created a few new yoga poses!
I'm with you on this. I'm 6'2" and do prefer the front seat. By no means am I a contortionist. However, imagine taking 2 of your friends and a lady (your wife for example), who are taller than the "mini me" guy for a ride in one of the classiest cars on any continent, and, in acceptable comfort nonetheless.
I am a huge fan of the new Jaguar XJ (make mine Super Sport) and, even the XF-R, but the XK100 platform is too sensuous and too sexy, if there is such a thing when referring to a means of transportation... Looking at it from every angle evokes lust, passion, emotion… (that's why there are so many of us on this fine forum who get the allusion and the mystique of the marque). We spent hours upon hours sharing pictures, stories, experiences about a car, not just any car, but an achievement in automotive history that the general public just does not get. The Jaguar owners (at least on this forum) are passionate, creative, inventive, and respectful to their counterparts (for the most part), which one does not find on other car forums. It is because I want to share my ride with as many people (friends, relatives and even cute strangers), that I got this crazy idea for an XKR – an XKR sedan.
Audi has their S5 Sportback. Porsche has their Panamera (which does not look all that great, in my opinion) and, of course, Aston has their Rapide (I lust for it). Why can’t a Jaguar XKR, at least in the minds of the dedicated owners and aficionados have four doors? Close your eyes and envision it… If you’re a connoisseur of fine things in life, you’ll understand.

Last edited by DevSpider; 07-01-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

DevSpider,
Obviously, BMW felt there was a market for a 6 series 4 door, Aston Martin as well (Rapide). It would therefore not be unprecedented. I don't believe Jaguar is in a position to do it right now but how 'bout putting on a hitch and a trailer where you can toss the kids?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:56 PM

Dr. D.
It was not comfortable because you had to be in a "yoga" position - due to the front seats taking all the room. take the same seats and give your legs some room to stretch and then we may be on to something.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
I like your mindset. But stop where you are now and just shop for a nice Quattroporte- trade in your Infiniti for it, and keep the Jag unscathed.
LOL, That would leave me with two weekend cars and no daily driver

Old 07-01-2013, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vector
That is why I bought my XJR, same drive train and performance, but 4 doors.
Vector
I disagree
You bought a four door car because you need a four door car. I want a car that has 2 doors to have 4 doors so that it could accommodate four people. There is a difference, I think

Old 07-01-2013, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
DevSpider,
Obviously, BMW felt there was a market for a 6 series 4 door, Aston Martin as well (Rapide). It would therefore not be unprecedented. I don't believe Jaguar is in a position to do it right now but how 'bout putting on a hitch and a trailer where you can toss the kids?
Tberg,
I like how you think. Now if I did that, would you be able to accommodate me + the trailer and my kids at one of your fancy automated parking lots, if we were passing by your neck of the woods?

Old 07-01-2013, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by enderle
As I understand it Jaguar has heard your pain and plans the XK to be a 4 door in the future targeting the Panamerica.

Next Jaguar sedan looks like stretch XK, with four-door "coupe" overtones - Autoblog
Thank you for the link to the article, but on the closer inspection I realized that the article was written on Jan 7th 2009. Their plans did not pan out, although the sketch does resemble the now demised but handsome Fisker Karma.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

That whole 4-door coupe thing is rarely well-done and most mainly look awkward. The closest one to looking decently proportioned is the Audi 7. The Panamera initially looks okay when it is coming straight at you but from almost all other angles the thing just looks clumsy. To my mind the whole 4-door coupe thing is just a gimmick and almost always the car in question would look better as a 2-door coupe.

Doug

Old 07-02-2013, 02:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Photoshop Image

DevSpider,

If you want to send me a couple of good shots of your XK I'll do a photoshop of it and you can get a good idea of what it would look like.

PM me for my email address to send the images.

rgds Shaun

The following users liked this post:
DevSpider (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 07:51 AM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Quick Reply: XKR as a Four Door?