XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR "Tourismo Sport"

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 12:05 AM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Prettyblue fin, it would be fun to cruise the mall with your cat. The wrap you put on the dash and wheel looks pretty slick in the pictures. If it weren't for the CHP, I would have stripes wrapped on mine starting at the louvers on the hood and stretching back to the trunk. For now, my goal is make the Black Cat CA legal. It just passed its smog test (first try) and is waiting on its CA plates. It still has a Texas "paper" plate which prompts all kinds of comments. All i can say in reply is that Texas was a great place to purchase a Jag.

Let me know if you are interested in attending SC Cars and Coffee on either 10/28 or 11/11. The 10/28 date is close enough to Halloween, we can invite DB9s too, but they will have to dress up as XKs. Or is it the other way around? Either way, I will look forward to it.

The following users liked this post:
prettybluefin (10-20-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile Same thing happened here!

Bluefin....That's what happened to our Houston Cars & Coffee....Bunch of Showoff's coming by "Laying rubber and Rackin' their Pipes" before, during and after the Show! Even the "Cool Dudes", like me..Ha! HA! had gotten tried of all the noise....So, anyway the Shopping Center stopped it!!!! I enjoyed everything about the show, accept getting up so early....Glad yours is changing the time to 9AM out there......That's much better and you can go straight on out to Lunch from the Show...
Be sure to show-off that new Dash!!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 10-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Smile The Happy Days in Texas!

Originally Posted by JRabbit
Prettyblue fin, it would be fun to cruise the mall with your cat. The wrap you put on the dash and wheel looks pretty slick in the pictures. If it weren't for the CHP, I would have stripes wrapped on mine starting at the louvers on the hood and stretching back to the trunk. For now, my goal is make the Black Cat CA legal. It just passed its smog test (first try) and is waiting on its CA plates. It still has a Texas "paper" plate which prompts all kinds of comments. All i can say in reply is that Texas was a great place to purchase a Jag.

Let me know if you are interested in attending SC Cars and Coffee on either 10/28 or 11/11. The 10/28 date is close enough to Halloween, we can invite DB9s too, but they will have to dress up as XKs. Or is it the other way around? Either way, I will look forward to it.
JRabbit,

Probably the best thing to ever happen to your Coupe was the time it spent in Texas with it's Ebony/Ivory Sister!!! Save those "Paper-Plates"...She might get lonely out there in "Cal-iforn-ia"! and watch your mirror, You never know when the "Texas Coupe" might pull up beside you on an LA Freeway.....

Have fun at the Car Show!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 10-15-2017, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Smile "The Texas Coupe" out crusing by!

Originally Posted by bcprice36
JRabbit,

Probably the best thing to ever happen to your Coupe was the time it spent in Texas with it's Ebony/Ivory Sister!!! Save those "Paper-Plates"...She might get lonely out there in "Cal-iforn-ia"! and watch your mirror, You never know when the "Texas Coupe" might pull up beside you on an LA Freeway.....

Have fun at the Car Show!

Billy Clyde in Houston
JR,
Here's the "Texas Coupe" with her "Victory Edition" Tail Lights and TEXAS Tags!

BC in Houston

Last edited by bcprice36; 10-15-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:54 AM
Default Texas Crossing

Originally Posted by bcprice36
JR,
Here's the "Texas Coupe" with her "Victory Edition" Tail Lights and TEXAS Tags!

BC in Houston
Very cool/ Last time, it took me the better part of two days to drive across Texas in a VW Vanagon. You could probably cut that in half.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Cool JRabbit crossing TEXAS!

JRabbit,

We had a couple of Volleyball Gals from Houston that were "Gamecock's"! Sisters from up in Spring named Pritzen....both around 6'....thought you might know them....Assuming you were an Athlete over there...

It's a long way from Columbia to LA in anything, much less a VW Van! I don't know when you made that trip but if you were on I-10, you were about a mile from my House when you got out on the west side of Houston....A number of years ago, I was in the Marine Corps and made the trip to Pendleton a couple times in my Black/Red '57 Chevy Bel Air hardtop...Had lots of fun up in Laguna Beach with a couple Fraternity Brothers who flew "Crusader's" out of "El Toro"...All this in the early '60's.....Loved that Chevy...It's a Classic, just like our XKR Coupe's are!

Have fun in SoCal and enjoy the Car Shows and your Black XKR Coupe!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 10-19-2017, 04:03 AM
Default Gamecocks in California

Billy Clyde, thanks for the note. I only went to USC for the law school so i missed the opportunity to spend time with the athletes at the Roost. My sister was Chi Omega, but I do not remember meeting any volleyball players at her parties. The law school was pretty insular and i was pretty low profile. My loss.

I have made three driving trips across the country, two east to west, one west to east, always on the I-10/I-8 corridor and never in a Jaguar. First time was east to west, with my bride (USC Law 79) in August '79 driving a Mazda Coupe with two bikes strapped to the roof and most of what we owned in the trunk. My memory is of a Texas that was at first, extremely hot, dusty, sunny, and humid. After driving for several hundred miles it seemed even hotter, dustier, sunnier and yet still humid. Most vivid memory of the trip was when the Texas plains which seemed to stretch to the horizon suddenly fell away and we descended into what i assumed were the Badlands. No warning. We rounded a corner and boom, we were driving down a steep winding one sided canyon wall. Back then, the I-10 was still a rough draft in several stretches, including the descent. We stopped in San Antonio for a day (paid homage to the South Carolinians who fought alongside the Texans at the Alamo) and again in El Paso for authentic Tex-Mex cooking. We were so excited to see water after two days in Texas, we had to stop and take a picture. We finally ended up in Manhattan Beach after ten days of wandering across FL, AL, MS, LA, TX, NM, and AZ. Good end to a good trip.

I drove back to JAX in January 1993 and then returned to CA in September 1993 driving a 1990 Vanagon each way with an 8'6" wide beach cat in tow. I mention the width of the boat and trailer only because the I-10 in Houston and El Paso (and most every other city in Texas) seemed to be permanently under construction and was lined with those temporary concrete barriers which eliminated the shoulders and narrowed the lanes. I soloed both ways, mostly non-stop. Purposeful travel.

Its been nearly 25 years since the last time i drove across country and i am hearing the call of open road: west to east. This time in the XKR convertible--top down, no trailer. The only goal will be to stay off the interstates as much as possible and to spend more time seeing the country and visiting friends along the way. Pointless travel.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:11 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

JR, inbox me your cell info, i will let you know if i can make the 28th.

they changed it to 9am-11am, which works MUCH better for me driving down from LA...
There are lots of Aston's there, but to be honest, the cars that are super rare, like multi-million dollar Ferrari's etc are what I like to look at. They are just beautiful, and where else can you literally get up to look inside?

Billy, I agree, that the speedsters ruin it. I get that they want everyone to know they are running straight pipe with their exhaust, but there are lots of kids and dogs, and I Have seen near misses. Always the few that ruin an event

Old 10-20-2017, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb The Tail Lights make it Pop!

PrettyBluefin & JRabbit,

I hope this photo comes through as this is a new Photo of the "Victory Edition" Tail lights...With the help of one of the Forum Members, I have been able to change-out all but 1 Bulb to LED without having the "Check Rear Lights" warning come on. They look absolutely "Super" and at least 3 times brighter than the Halogens that came in the original Tail Lights......The Back-up Bulbs look like little "Search Lights" at night....They will really light up Bluefin's Wrapped Tail Lights......

Last edited by bcprice36; 10-20-2017 at 11:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bcprice36:
JRabbit (10-21-2017), prettybluefin (10-27-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Smile And that's the Front and the Back of it!

and here's the Front with the Phillips Daytime Running Lights....They are automatic and come on when I use the Key-Fob, which is great at Night! They automatically come on when I put the Key in the ignition and stay on for about 20 seconds when I shut her down. It really looks good coming down the road during the Day and at Night they automatically dim when the HID's come on..to keep from blinding on-coming Cars!

Pretty Bluefin, What about that "Best of Show" Wax on all that Black? Looks really good! Thank You for the tip..............My old iPhone camera still works pretty good; don't you think?

Billy Clyde in Houston

Last edited by bcprice36; 10-21-2017 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Correcting my spelling
JRabbit (10-23-2017), prettybluefin (10-27-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 10:22 PM
Default First Blood.

If Jaguar owner's bank account dies from a thousand nicks, i got a small one today. The rear tire went flat on freeway and it looks like a goner. Wheel wasn't damaged. Decision time. I was not happy with ride of current tires. Cross between go kart and shopping cart. The rear tires were 285/30 before they went flat. Honestly, it was hard to tell which one was flat as their profile was the equivalent of a double stack of rubber bands even with air. Thinking it is a good time to renew all four. What is the largest profile tire anyone has run on the 20" wheels without creating clearance issues? The front tires are 255/35 so that seems like it would be a safe step up. I would stay with the 255/35 front and got to 285/35 rear if there is clearance. Tire store doesn't open until tomorrow. Meanwhile, the Black Cat is stranded out in the cold parking lot tonight.

Last edited by JRabbit; 10-23-2017 at 10:36 PM. Reason: more technical corrections
Old 10-27-2017, 02:39 PM

Update: Car survived the night out. The rear tires were OE from 2006 and the punctured one could not be repaired even though they both still had pretty good tread. I stayed with the factory specs and put new Michelin 285/30x20 Pilots on the back. For whatever reason, the car seems to ride less harsh than before. Putting air in the tires helps.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:43 PM

Update: Car survived the night out. The rear tires were OE from 2006 and the punctured one could not be repaired even though they both still had pretty good tread. I stayed with the factory specs and put new Michelin 285/30x20 Pilots on the back. For whatever reason, the car seems to ride less harsh than before. Putting air in the tires helps.
change of tires helps alot! good thing your wheels were not damaged.
I am going to try very hard to get to the car show tomorrow. will text you if i leave LA...
cheers!

Old 10-27-2017, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

If your tyres were 11 years old they would have the hardness properties of a rock more so than rubber. You may well have dodged a bullet with the minor inconvenience you suffered.

JRabbit (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Smile Extreme Contact Continental's

JRabbit,

I started running Continental Extreme Contact's on my 2003 XKR when they first came out and have continued since as I have had good service, traction and they are quite on the road, hardly any noise at all....It's been so long now I don't remember for sure but I think the original one's were Pirelli's and they hummed! abit......Howled, might be more like it!
The 2005 has Extreme Contact DWS on the Rear for Traction and Front's are DW's with the big wide groves.....I like'em as they are not all that expensive...

Billy Clyde in Houston

JRabbit (10-27-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 03:08 PM

cars & coffee, San Clemente

bcprice36 (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Guys!
Now there's two really good looking XKR's! I hope ya'll had fun at the coffee/cars meet! I note that the Background around San Clemente hasn't changed much over the past 50 or so years......

Billy Clyde

Old 10-28-2017, 07:04 PM

BC

We saw allot of really interesting cars ranging from a beautifully restored Fiat 600 Multipla (my favorite) to a customized 60's XKE coupe v8 hot rod (redundant?). There were a half dozen vintage Datsuns including a well prepped right-hand drive Fairlady (home market 240Z) and a super fast looking modified last Gen highly carbon-fibered RX7 which carried an intercooler the size of a dorm refrigerator under the hood. I sensed that PrettyBluefin's loyalty was being tested to the limit around a pair of current edition Aston Martin Vantages, one coupe. one convertible. When they start trading for a tenth of the original sticker, her checkbook is coming out. A dozen Ferraris circulated the lot including an original looking Super America. The usual assembly of 60's Vettes, Chevelles, Porsches of all years and Mustangs provided background. There was a late model Saleen with a chameleon paint job that attracted allot of attention--is it blue or orange? Corvette/Nomad station wagon. RS Spyder Replica. 74 Pantera (highly tricked out). First Gen MR2. Saturn Sky. Two XKRs. I am told that this was a pretty typical Saturday turnout.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Smile Checking in after the Car Show....

Nice photo of the Jag's and the driver's! Thanks for that.....Never seen either of you before except Bluefin once while she was showing-off! It's good to have some idea of who you are talking with!
Sounds like the typical Car Show with lots of different Sports Cars and of course the Corvette crew!!! Sometimes I wish I still had the 53 Vette but it was not practical in North Texas during the 50's.....No roll-up windows...just a Heater.....tough winters even for a Kid back then.....besides, the 56 DelRay Coupe with the Corvette Engine ran twice as good!!!!Wish I had both of them today!
I got out of the Hospital on Thursday, 2 day deal for Back Surgery.....Now my back hurts and my Legs don't....It was the other way around for several months....Should be back to normal in a couple weeks......As to car shows over here, Not much going on here....They have a Jag Club but mostly older 50, 60 and 70 types....This is Pick-up Heaven here in West Houston.... A friend told me he had taken his 2006 to one of the Jag Dealers and was told that they would not work on it as it was not a 2007 or above....Wow!

You two have fun and enjoy your cars as much as possible....They are Beautiful Automobiles! As you can tell, I love mine!

Billy Clyde In Houston

JRabbit (10-29-2017), prettybluefin (10-30-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 01:28 AM

Forgot to mention that "Shaguar" was there. Orange F Type. Very slick.