XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xm/sirius radio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it might have been on a delay timer, so I checked it this morning...and the radio will not switch off with the ignition. So I pulled everything apart, disconnected the antenna module, reconnected the original antenna lead, then disconnected the cables to the radio and reinserted them all. Now, the radio will not power on at all even though everything is back to its original configuration. Methinks that perhaps I activated the security on the radio, but I cannot get it to power on at all....Help...I guess I should not have messed with it...but all the wiring looks perfect..maybe the interconnections for the cell phones, or other devices??

Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I am not certain what is going on with the original problem (though it sems like some kind of parasitic power issue), but now check the following fuses:

F9 and F12 in the passenger side of the dash fusebox.
F9 and F18 in the trunk fusebox.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:36 AM

I checked all the fuses.....they are good....and I do get 12v at the radio....but it will not power on now....I think it has something to do with delay timers, or possibly relays. I now have a dead battery also, because I took all the connections off and put the radio back as it was originally...but I guess the open door and boot made my battery drain...I am going to get a new battery and see if this problem just goes away by itself....not likely

Old 02-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Low battery voltage wreaks havoc with these cars. Apparently, kicking Lucas to the curb didn't resolve the British electrical deficencies.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:24 AM

Low voltage indeed does wreak havoc...had a bad cell in the battery..I replaced the battery yesterday. The radio display does not light up, the am-fm does not work, the antenna does not go up, but for some reason, the cd player does work. I am now wishing I left the radio alone, and just used the xm on the preset fm channels. Sometimes if it ain;t broke, don;t fix it.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:31 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Check your fuses again. Sometimes they are sneaky. Look real carefully at them. MC

Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 AM

I just finished installing the same thing in my other Jaguar xkr (Finn Mcmissle), and had no problems and it works great. So I went back and took out my radio in the 01 jag, and heard some rattling in the radio. I opened the cover and found a dime. I think that it may have become dislodged and shorted something in the radio...so I guess I will need a new radio now.......Must have been in there for years.
I wondered why that under hard acceleration or a sharp turn, the radio would come on by itself....Now I know the reason.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:12 PM

Wow. Do you suppose it fell down a vent and actually got into the radio?

Old 02-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You just can't make this stuff up!! Sorry for your misfortune. MC

Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I am planning to add this to my XKR. Can this device be added to the antenna wire where it connects to the power antenna instead of pulling the radio?

wcnesta

Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wcnesta
I am planning to add this to my XKR. Can this device be added to the antenna wire where it connects to the power antenna instead of pulling the radio?

wcnesta

Unfortunatelty, the connector at the antenna is non-standard and will not fit.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

I think (but am not 100% certain) the antenna connectors at the antenna are VW style. I suggest going to a car audio store and test fit a set of VW antenna adapters. Besides the 2 VW adapters you may also need to buy adapters to swap the sex of the standard Motorola antenna connectors.

BTW, the standard car radio antenna connectors are informally called Motorola antenna connectors...not RCA connectors. RCA connectors informally refer to audio and video connections which have some physical similarity but are entirely different.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-05-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:19 PM

I was doing a "dry run" test of the unit by hooking it up in my Suburban (the one without all the XM/Onstar stuff), and it seems to work pretty good with just the off-channel FM source. Oddly, though, it chose a frequency that actually does have a transmission from a station. I tried to put one in that was unused, but it automatically referred me to the higher frequency. Strange.

I see in the instructions that they say the cassette adaptor is considered just as good a source, if not better. Since I want portability, maybe I should use the cassette-to-fm as a pickup source?? That would sure make it easy to move from vehicle to vehicle. I wonder if I can get a set of just the antenna and hookup stuff to install in several vehicles?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the info just bought one of these from your recommended source. it should arrive next week. Was there enough room in back of the radio for this device and any suggestions on installing it? Thanks.

wcnesta
03 XKR

Old 04-05-2012, 07:34 PM

You are right about the connectors I meant to say Motorola,but had a brain fart. I will just follow Rev Sam's advice and take out the center consul and connect it directly to the radio. Thanks for your input.

wcnesta

Old 04-06-2012, 09:56 AM

I took your advise and just found some info on this from Discount Car Stereo. There is an adapter assy that they sell so you can add a direct connect modulator at the power antenna end. I believe that strange connector they use at the antenna is an ISO connector. The kit has two short cables: the male DIN (Motorola) to female ISO and the male ISO to female DIN. Working in the trunk would be a lot easier than removing the whole center consul. All I need to do is find a 12 volt switched source inside the center consul to plug the Sirius in, as I do not want the Sirius power connector sticking out of the cigarette lighter plug. I was thinking of taping into the antenna cut off switch that I just installed and add a female cigarette lighter plug to it. I am assuming that the voltage on one end of the green/black wire is switched 12 volts. I will have to measure it with my volt meter. With the modulator directly connected to the antenna, I would think that with the antenna down I would get less station interference when listing to Sirius stations. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

I took your advise and just found some info on this from Discount Car Stereo. There is an adapter assy that they sell so you can add a direct connect modulator at the power antenna end. I believe that strange connector they use at the antenna is an ISO connector. The kit has two short cables: the male DIN (Motorola) to female ISO and the male ISO to female DIN. Working in the trunk would be a lot easier than removing the whole center consul. All I need to do is find a 12 volt switched source inside the center consul to plug the Sirius in, as I do not want the Sirius power connector sticking out of the cigarette lighter plug. I was thinking of taping into the antenna cut off switch that I just installed and add a female cigarette lighter plug to it. I am assuming that the voltage on one end of the green/black wire is switched 12 volts. I will have to measure it with my volt meter. With the modulator directly connected to the antenna, I would think that with the antenna down I would get less station interference when listing to Sirius stations. Thanks for your help.

The green-black wire is an antenna trigger signal from the factory radio...current for the antenna motor is actually sourced from the battery...I would not recommend trying to use this as a current source for the Sirius radio...it might damage your factory radio.

You can tap from the wires feeding the cig. lighter...but then you are back to removing the console. There is also an auxiliary power connector behind the glovebox (which is easy to remove)....but if you want to use that you need to add a relay in the missing space in the fusebox in the trunk. The relays are inexpensive (around 5-10 bucks or so at the dealer).

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-06-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the great info. I will remove the center consul so I can tap into the lighter power. With that off I will pull the radio and attach the modulator directly to the radio. The kit I was talking about to hook into the power antenna cable was a $20.00 item so I will "maybe" save the $20 unless I break a tab on the gate surround cover. We are still waiting for some nice warm weather up here in Connecticut so we can take the Jags out for a drive.

Bill

Old 04-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the great info. I will remove the center consul so I can tap into the lighter power. With that off I will pull the radio and attach the modulator directly to the radio. The kit I was talking about to hook into the power antenna cable was a $20.00 item so I will "maybe" save the $20 unless I break a tab on the gate surround cover. We are still waiting for some nice warm weather up here in Connecticut so we can take the Jags out for a drive.

Bill

If you break the tabs, consider brushed aluminum aftermarket one as a replacement, IMHO they are much nicer than the black plastic.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:45 PM

I went to that web site but could not find that part.

Quick Reply: xm/sirius radio?