Yet Another Brake Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 12:27 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Yet Another Brake Thread

All,

My 2003 XKR with Brembo R Package has really noisy (squeaky) brakes.

I don't know what they have in them but I know they are not OEM and are in green condition.

Since I don't really know whats going on I think I am just going to replace all 4 pads and rotors so I get to a known good state. Maybe its a little over kill, but tracking down a squeak with unknown quality pads/rotors may be insanity inducing. The indy I first used when I got this told me they just had noisy pads and I needed OEM. I no longer use that mechanic.

That said, I am in information overload on what I should get and what tools I need here.

On the tool front, the question is what are the caliper connections (t50 Torx?) and do I need a dual piston spreader?

As for rotors, I want quiet and low dust (don't we all). I'd prefer a solid rotor and am open to suggestions.

I am considering the "Premium Replacement Brake Kit with Ceramic Pads" from Brake Rotors Brake Discs Drilled Slotted Rotors At least 1 member recommended these.

I am open to other options (would like avoid eBay stores, though).

After a change will I need to reset anything in the car (ABS lights)? Is this via ODB2 or VCM? Do I need ABS sensors when I change pads/rotors? Anything else I should know?

Thanks!
dsd

Old 03-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Brembos need grease on the back of the pads or they squeak.

Brembos are the easiest brakes to swap pads in the world. Watch youtube videos of people doing it in a couple minutes.

You could probably just grease your pads to see if this fixes the problem.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

My XKR, also has the Handling package, and Brembos. I had new front and rear pads installed in mid January. Mintex on the rear, Akebono on the front...(AKEBONO CERAMICS RULE-almost zero dust) They resurfaced my drilled rotors at the time, but they are a little thin...I am replacing them next month...

i find when coming to a slow stop, they can squeak. Akebono are ceramic, so I can't imagine they could be 100% silent when grabbing steel...
but if i brake more firmly, they dont make a sound...perhaps it is your braking style? I plan to have the grease added on my next mech visit and see how it goes...as i am a "soft braker" habitually...

I find I have to drive and brake with the XKR differently than my X type Sport. More aggressively, so to speak...and the Xtype has cheap pads and rotors, and are silent...

Last edited by prettybluefin; 03-24-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:17 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

Any thoughts on what grease to use behind the pads? Hopefully something available from AdvancedAuto.

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2017, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dsd
Any thoughts on what grease to use behind the pads? Hopefully something available from AdvancedAuto.

Thanks!
They will have something.

My Hawk pads for my Mustang 4 piston brembos came with grease.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

I use a Bendix product that comes in a small squeeze bottle. It's a pink liquid that dries and lessens the vibration of the pad in the caliper. I have ceramic pads as well as new rotors. Remove the pads, apply the coating, drive car. No resetting of anything electrical. The ABS sensors are part of the wheel hub and need nothing to be done to them. Regarding retracting the caliper pistons, I simply insert a large screw driver between the rotor and pad and force the pad in.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:15 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

I will grease them this weekend.

However, if I decide to go the new route, what's the thought on the brake performance kit?

Old 03-24-2017, 06:32 PM

Unless you do repeated 100 MPH stops, performance pads are useless on a street car. Performance pads usually work best after repeated hard braking. I.E.hotter they are, the better they grip.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:46 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by grantorino62
Unless you do repeated 100 MPH stops, performance pads are useless on a street car. Performance pads usually work best after repeated hard braking. I.E.hotter they are, the better they grip.
I'm referring to the Premium Ceramic pads from a vendor named "Brake Performance"

Old 03-24-2017, 09:43 PM

Ceramic is ceramic. That's a generic term. You'll be happy with any ceramic pads IMO.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

I buy ceramic pads because I hate cleaning wheels. The factory semi metallics on my Mustang brembos left a reddish haze on everything a week after cleaning the wheels.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:20 AM
dsd
Veteran Member

Thanks all.

I am going to try and use the CRC stop squeak on my pads today. If that does not work, I will order a full brake kit.

Wish me luck!
dsd

Old 03-27-2017, 03:46 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

I just finished using "CRC Brake Quiet" to all 4 brakes.

I was slow as it was my first time doing it, but I am very happy with the results. Need more miles, but my brake tests and test drives were noise free.

I recommend this highly!

Thanks to all who encouraged me to try that and not just replace.

-dsd

The following 2 users liked this post by dsd:
prettybluefin (03-27-2017), Ungn (03-27-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 09:05 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

not sure how your cat is doing on squeaks, but I just put in 4 new rotors, and all is quiet again...perhaps your rotors need to be replaced or turned?
my mech said my front rotors were thin, and that is where is sound was from...

Old 04-28-2017, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
not sure how your cat is doing on squeaks, but I just put in 4 new rotors, and all is quiet again...perhaps your rotors need to be replaced or turned?
my mech said my front rotors were thin, and that is where is sound was from...
Brembos can squeal with brand new rotors/pads if the back of the pads aren't greased. It sometimes isn't just little squeak, either. 2009-2014 Mustangs have similar 355mm 4 piston brembo option, and if you go to an autocross, you can tell with your eyes closed when the mustangs are on the course - a lot of them swap in/out pads at the race and they don't grease them to cut down on the mess during the swap/pad storage.

Replacing worn rotors with new is a good call. Rotors are so cheap now it almost doesn't make sense to turn them.