rear suspension cradle

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 11:57 PM
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default rear suspension cradle

I am looking to buy a bare rear suspension cradle for a 78 XJS , I believe it is the same for a number of model and year jags . I do not mind if it is complete with diff , suspension etc but do not really need any of it but I am prepared to strip it down myself if needed as long as the cradle is undamaged or close to it.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:25 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

John,

I dont have one, or know off hand who does, in either configeration.

I will ask around as I talk with people.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hello John, and greetings from the east . . .

You have me intrigued as to why you seek the bare cradle. I am having great trouble working out if your XJ-S lost its original in a fight? Perhaps surrendered it in payment of a gambling debt? Maybe the missus impounded it as a means of keeping you away from your delicious beastie . . . It must be a bother having all your diff and springy bits tied on with fencing wire!

Enough foolishness! I do have some practical advice, because you mention 4 things (XJ-S, thus V12, pre-HE, and spare parts) that together, suggest you PM the local guru in all these things [Grant Francis] . . . added to which, Grant is the SA&NT Regional Co-ordinator and located on your backdoor step. Now, it may be that he doesn't have one or two under his bed. BUT, I am confident that's where I would start . . . with Grant, I mean . . . not Grant's bed!

I have seen them from time to time on the 'bay ($500 - $800 complete assembly) but, unless you have use for parts not needed (or market for same) that is an expensive option.

Hope this helps,

Ken

The following 2 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Grant Francis (11-07-2016), John1949 (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 02:36 AM

Hi Grant,
Much appreciated, I hit a rock many many years ago and although the car drives fine and had for many years I would still like to replace it .

Old 11-07-2016, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member

Sheesh Grant, you beat me by 10 minutes!

Old 11-07-2016, 03:04 AM

Hello Ken & thanks for your reply , you where almost right , my springy bits have been tied up for a long time !Our posts are jumping around , a new one appears whilst typing .Any how , the wife actually fixed it and guaranteed it would last for years , she told me she had used an almost full roll of duct tape and 3 tubes of superglue but in all honesty I have been a little nervous about going over 250kph so that's the reason for the replacement.
I am glad I read your whole post I was going to fit Grants bed under the car it seemed to make sense.
Yes Ken I would not want to pay that much and would probably look at repairing my own , I will keep my fingers crossed , must be a few lurking around .
And thanks for putting a smile on my dial.

The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 03:15 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by John1949
I am looking to buy a bare rear suspension cradle for a 78 XJS .....
John,

I was going to send you a PM but thought it useful for everyone to see the problem.

I'll leave this thread here as there's already been several replies but please DO NOT POST WANTED TO BUY in the Region or Model forums. The correct place for these is PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds forum.

The reason for this is 'Wanted' and 'For Sale' posts rapidly become out of date and irrelevant as the items are obtained or sold but the threads stay in the Region or Model forums for ever more. I can almost guarantee that in around five years time someone will post here offering you a cradle!

Let me know when you're fixed up with a cradle and I'll close the thread.

Graham

John1949 (11-13-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 03:16 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

Ken, watch it, Yollie reads this stuff sometimes, and if she ever looked under bed, I would be single in a heartbeat. I am lucky she has issues with the vacuaming, arthritis is a mongrel, so I do it, and a video of that would win Funniest Home Videos hands down, so that way the stash stays stashed.

John, I have BASHED some serious dents and buckles out of some of these over the years, and unless ir is cracked at the top 4 diff mount holes (common place), I would think about it carefully.

The S2/3 XJ Sedans are the same cradle, either 6 or 12, it matters not.

I am not sure on the S1, but Clarke will know when he surfaces from the Land of the Long White cloud.

The XJ-S up to the outboard brake change, are also all the same.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
cat_as_trophy (11-07-2016), John1949 (11-13-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 03:24 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Hi John, I just happen know where there is a bare cradle sitting(series 2 XJ6). I bought some wheels off the guy a couple of months ago. He has one sitting in the corner of his garage.
If you send me a PM I will give you his details.
I'm sure he would be happy to be relieved of it. The car was stripped for a rod then crushed and he is moving the left overs.

If he can't help with delivery I am more than happy to collect it and organise Pack & Send to get it to you.

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
Grant Francis (11-07-2016), John1949 (11-13-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by John1949
. . . my springy bits have been tied up for a long time! . . . the wife actually fixed it . . . she had used an almost full roll of duct tape and 3 tubes of superglue. I am glad I read your whole post I was going to fit Grants bed under the car.
Yes, my springy bits are no longer sprung as before . . . but what is it with our women and SuperGlue? I swear my wife used to have shares in Selleys.
Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Ken, watch it, Yollie reads this stuff sometimes, and if she ever looked under bed, I would be single in a heartbeat.
Oh, great . . . two SA geniuses (genii ?) to help put us standup comedians out of business. Seriously John, if you are into our weird humour here, then you really need medical help. I know some really great nurses who can help . . . but, the image of Grant vacuuming has me gob-smacked . . . actually, a pic of Grant in short black housemaid's dress with frilly white lace apron sounds quite fetching . . .

Thank heavens for Queenslanders . . . Clarke to the rescue . . . Tada!!!
Story ends well . . . (fade to black, as Graham's keyboard strikes).

Cheers all,

Ken

The following 2 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Grant Francis (11-08-2016), John1949 (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 02:44 AM

Hi Clarke , sorry for the slow reply I have not received any email notifications . I will send a PM but wanted to publically thank you for your very kind offer .
And also a big thank you to Grant , there was a slight crack at the edge of one of the bolt holes for the bottom plate which I welded , way back in time but seems sound. I am also going to modify my exhaust , well not my exhaust but the cars and have considered trying to straighten it a bit when the pipes are out of the way with the classic BFH.

The following 2 users liked this post by John1949:
Grant Francis (11-13-2016), o1xjr (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Thanks for phone call John, I enjoyed the chat.
Unfortunate that Nick dumped the cradle a week ago.

John1949 (11-15-2016)