E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Good car ramps for DIY E-Type servicing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 01:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good car ramps for DIY E-Type servicing?

Hi all ! I am new here, just posted my new E Type in the Introduction forum. I'm now wondering if anyone here has developed a good system for using car ramps to raise the car at all four corners, as a servicing option to jacking the car up using the methods I have been reading here on the forums. Without building an entire drive-up set of rails, has anyone done a system where you drive up on front ramps, with flat jackable/scissor lifts under the rear tires? Or maybe drive up on forward ramps, then use a floor jack to bring the rear up onto jack stands? Thanks!

Old 01-22-2017, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

There's a lifting ramp system called Quick Jack. Basically a set of rails that you drive over then jack the whole assembly up. It locks in place maybe 18 inches high. Kind of like a motorcycle lift. I've only seen it in magazines. I've seen another type that uses a set of rails that you drove on, then jack up.

I am going to replace the transmission in my XJS soon. My plan is to use a pair of ramps under the front wheels, and maybe another set under the rear. Even with a few jackstands under there for insurance, there should be plenty of room to move around. I bought a new low profile floor jack from Harbor Freight and it works great. I'm thinking I might just buy another one, then I can jack both right and left sides at the same time. Then put the ramps under at the same time. Those four post lifts would be great if you had the money and the space, but I really don't find myself working directly under the middle of the car too often. (Except when working on the transmission!) Usually I will be working on a "corner" of the car, removing the wheel to work on the brakes, suspension etc. I just changed out the lower control arms on my Mustang, not fun. I've got suspension work to do on both the XJS and XJ6, Anyhow I will try to document my "struggle" on my blog and post a link.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rivguy
There's a lifting ramp system called Quick Jack. Basically a set of rails that you drive over then jack the whole assembly up. It locks in place maybe 18 inches high. Kind of like a motorcycle lift. I've only seen it in magazines. I've seen another type that uses a set of rails that you drove on, then jack up.

I am going to replace the transmission in my XJS soon. My plan is to use a pair of ramps under the front wheels, and maybe another set under the rear. Even with a few jackstands under there for insurance, there should be plenty of room to move around. I bought a new low profile floor jack from Harbor Freight and it works great. I'm thinking I might just buy another one, then I can jack both right and left sides at the same time. Then put the ramps under at the same time. Those four post lifts would be great if you had the money and the space, but I really don't find myself working directly under the middle of the car too often. (Except when working on the transmission!) Usually I will be working on a "corner" of the car, removing the wheel to work on the brakes, suspension etc. I just changed out the lower control arms on my Mustang, not fun. I've got suspension work to do on both the XJS and XJ6, Anyhow I will try to document my "struggle" on my blog and post a link.
Thanks, and yes I've seen the scissor lifts and looked at every 2 and 4-post lift from various vendors. But I want something that is easy, small, and lifts the car while sitting on its tires (as opposed to doing any jacking of the frame or suspension). Something like what is shown in the first photo below, but that I can drive onto (those particular ones do not jack up, you first jack the car up then place them under the tires). The idea I am looking for: place one square tire stand in front of each of the four tires (must be low to fit under a low car), drive forward onto the four platforms, then lift them all at the same time, or the front then the back. Or something that would work like the second photo below, but without having to have the full length of steel ramp (don't want to store it and take up space). So, drive up onto the front tires, then have something that lifts the rear. Like I said, the second one below is great, but too bulky. The first one is compact, but I still have to jack up the proper spots on the frame of the E Type, which I'd rather not do if there is no reason to get the car off it's wheels. Bottom line: I want to drive the car up and easily get under it without jacking the frame.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:33 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

try one of these ....

Old 01-24-2017, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Maybe you could use four of these, one under each wheel, they have 1,000 lbs. capacity each.
these are from Harbor Freight

Old 01-24-2017, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rivguy
Maybe you could use four of these, one under each wheel, they have 1,000 lbs. capacity each.
these are from Harbor Freight
Good idea, but those might be a bit too big for 4 of them (each one of those is 86 inches long and 26' wide).

I am considering getting two drive-up ramps, then creating/welding a piece of diamond plate to go under the rear wheels, with a cross-bar in between that can be jacked up. kind of like a mini-version of the rear part of the second photo I originally showed up above. I want the solution to be small. Otherwise, I'll just use my two floor jacks and four jack stands. If it isn't small and simple, I might as well install a two-post lift.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Is there a link for the blue full length ramps under the Sunbeam Alpine?

Old 01-25-2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by plums
Is there a link for the blue full length ramps under the Sunbeam Alpine?
Here is the link. The guy is out of Cambridge, UK. I loved his idea and design, but these are a tad bulky for what I want. But I want to basically do the back half of this idea. For a quick two-wheel lift.

Car lift/ramps - the simple unique patented MR1s for DIY mechanics

The following users liked this post:
plums (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Has anyone see the ramps used by dealers for vehicle display?

They start at an angle with an extension ramp and as the vehicle
is driven onto the main ramps it overcenters and drops the front
down so the vehicle is level at chest height.

Not so easy to store though.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by plums
Has anyone see the ramps used by dealers for vehicle display?

They start at an angle with an extension ramp and as the vehicle
is driven onto the main ramps it overcenters and drops the front
down so the vehicle is level at chest height.

Not so easy to store though.
Something like this....

Old 01-30-2017, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I never drove my XJ6 onto my ramps as I was nervous about driving off the ends ! You need quite a bit of throttle to get the car to move up and it just made me nervous. So I used to jack the car up then drop it down onto the ramps. Of course if you have four you just do the first two and then jack up the rear and drop onto the second two.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a Titan 4 post lift I bought primarily for storage, but it works well for most wrench work as it has a moveable platform for a trolley jack (and drip trays....a must!). It was around $2k including shipping.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by rcwkr
This is a Titan 4 post lift I bought primarily for storage, but it works well for most wrench work as it has a moveable platform for a trolley jack[/I]
That's a nice lift! And a good price, too. But storage isn't my issue, I have enough room, but I don't want to have a fixed 4-post lift to walk around. I'd probably walk into it in the dark!

Once I took delivery of the car this last week, I jacked my car up using a wooden block I created - it has a groove that fits the block up nicely onto the forward sub-frame crossbar for secure jacking. The floor jack had plenty of room to spare, so my initial concerns about difficulty with a floor jack were unwarranted. Looks like I'll just jack the car, and place the jack stands under the suspension-to-frame points.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:47 AM

Wanna trade garages?

Old 02-09-2017, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by rcwkr
Wanna trade garages?
Then using your stacking method would let you store about 18 cars! But your wife wouldn't appreciate it...

Old 02-10-2017, 09:46 AM

No, she's an enabler. We already have an even dozen including the bikes. Progressive LOVES me!