E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Intake Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Removal

Trying to remove the intake from my 66 Jag Etype with a 4.2 motor. I have removed the 18 nuts and the 4 hoses from the intake and cannot get the intake to move. I have grabbed the carbs to try to move it right to left, I have hit is with a rubber hammer and tried to gently pry from the thermostat side. Is does not move at all.

The intake we installed by the dealer in 1969 when the original head was damaged from overheating.

Any ideas on how to remove the intake without damaging it?

Old 12-14-2016, 09:37 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Chances are the manifold is seized to the studs. Try a release agent like WD-40 or the like. PB Blaster has a product specifically for rusted or corroded parts. Let it work with time (couple of days). Spray on the studs and between the manifold and the head.
I don't recall any hidden fasteners but I can look closer when I get to my garage.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still no success. Can the intake studs be removed?

Old 12-22-2016, 04:49 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Welcome to the forum Scott,

As I recall there isn't sufficient thread available on the studs to use the traditional technique of locking two nuts together and using a wrench on the inner one to remove the stud.

For stubborn studs etc, many US members recommend Kano Kroil as the most effective penetrating/release agent.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 12-22-2016, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Hi,
Yes, do visit the "new member" site and introduce . In the meantime, in a addition to insuring all of the nuts are removed and flooding the studs and with with Kroll or PB Blaster, try a little heat to each of the studs only. Then let it cool. By expanding and contracting the stud, you're seeking to break the "hold" from the corrosion.
If you think this is bad, wait until the day you need to remove the head!
Good Luck and Happy Holidays.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default intake removal

You may have to remove some studs at both ends of manifold...by any means necessary.
Then possibly tap your putty knives into place. I believe that I also used a nylon wedge to assist also.

Lou
San Diego CA

Old 12-22-2016, 03:29 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Probably some one used ALOT of sealer around the intake water inlets.
It should come off, but if not try to remove end studs then take a screw driver , bend the end of it and try to gently pry from the corners.
Soaking the threads and wacking the manifold gently should loosen things up. Been there many times, the water pipes and all the other hoses are gone right?
Linkage removed?
Good luck gtjoey

Old 12-25-2016, 07:42 AM
Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

Scott,

I've run into this lots of times. Most times wacking, and thin blades will do it, but the for the one that would not budge no matter what, I used torches and heated each stud. The manifold just about fell off! This is my new prefered method. It takes less time and works well.

Good luck,

Rob

Old 12-25-2016, 06:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Laughton
Scott,

...This is my new prefered method. It takes less time and works well.

Good luck,

Rob

​​​​

sounds good Rob, next time we'll torch it!

Last edited by LouieXK; 12-25-2016 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-29-2016, 04:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default stuck intake on 4.2

I have had a couple of stuck intakes on XKEs although some use heat to get studs hot I don't recommend it because aluminum has a LOW melting point !
Try using ground down old screwdrivers start at a point between the first and second stud, tap the screwdriver in gently and at the same time do another
screwdriver underneath, also between the first and second stud.
Do not pry from the corner of the manifold because of the high risk of braking
the corners off ! Continue tapping the screwdrivers in at the front only, until the manifold releases. If you take the care to grind down two old, thin, screwdrivers
that are at least 1/2" wide at the ends, these newly made tools will get your manifold off with the least amount of damage.
Do NOT move the screwdrivers to another location on the manifold until your
sure of it's release !

Old 01-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was able to remove the intake once I removed the top studs. thanks for all the help