F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar F-Type reliability - better info

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Jaguar F-Type reliability - better info

I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that made the differences between cars clearer. So a few years ago I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

Whether we can cover the F-Type depends on how many owners get involved. We've been able to report stats for a few years of the XF, but not yet the new XJ.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, following the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the F-Type, for free. If and when we have them I'll share results for the F-Type in this thread after each update.

TrueDelta | Enrollment

The following 2 users liked this post by mkaresh:
Jaguilar (05-13-2014), necoblitz (03-23-2015)
Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 AM

A few F Types signed up. A good start, but more are needed.

Have more people gotten one now that the weather is better?

Old 05-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

This car hasn't really been around long enough for you to get an accurate representation of its reliability.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by mkaresh
I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that made the differences between cars clearer. So a few years ago I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

Whether we can cover the F-Type depends on how many owners get involved. We've been able to report stats for a few years of the XF, but not yet the new XJ.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, following the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the F-Type, for free. If and when we have them I'll share results for the F-Type in this thread after each update.

TrueDelta | Enrollment

The F Type might be a little more difficult to recruit as there are so few cars out there for a relatively short period of time. I'm sure you could have a field day getting sign ups from Planet 9 for the 2013/14/Cayman/Boxster.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
This car hasn't really been around long enough for you to get an accurate representation of its reliability.
Sorry, meant to respond to this the other day, then it slipped my mind (this happens).

Anyway, this survey is different than others in that it starts gathering data when people join, then continues once per quarter into the future. This way the results won't be distorted if some (or more than some) people join because they've had recent problems with their car. The alternative is a random sample with a high level of participation, which is 1) expensive and 2) never happens.

The downside of this approach is that, to include data from when the cars were new, people have to join when the cars are still new (or, in the case of existing members, join before the cars are even purchased).

Bocatrip: good to see you here! Planet 9 has been of great assistance. We already have over 25 responses for the 2014, and nearly that many for the 2013. (I think we have fewer for the 2013 because the Cayman wasn't redone until 2014.)

Old 06-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Good idea. I've enrolled.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:31 AM

Thanks! Ten cars signed up so far. Not enough to add the F-Type to the survey yet, but getting there.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

I signed up several years (and 3 vehicles) ago with Michael's True Delta, and it is a very useful system when there is enough data for a particular model to draw reasonable conclusions. You are quite correct that there are not yet enough F-Types in the database (currently 10), but that's why Michael posted here.

I signed up as soon as I purchased my F-Type. True Delta has a very easy software interface, and it takes only a few minutes or less to enter your data, and even less to answer a couple of simple update questions every quarter or so.

If enough F-Type owners sign up, we will begin to see how the F-Type stacks up with other vehicles.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I signed up several years (and 3 vehicles) ago with Michael's True Delta, and it is a very useful system when there is enough data for a particular model to draw reasonable conclusions. You are quite correct that there are not yet enough F-Types in the database (currently 10), but that's why Michael posted here.

I signed up as soon as I purchased my F-Type. True Delta has a very easy software interface, and it takes only a few minutes or less to enter your data, and even less to answer a couple of simple update questions every quarter or so.

If enough F-Type owners sign up, we will begin to see how the F-Type stacks up with other vehicles.
Not only are there not enough vehicles signed up, but there haven't been enough miles put on these cars to give an accurate representation of their reliability. We cannot say a car is good or bad based on 10,000 miles per car. The whole warranty period must be examined at a minimum to make a claim of reliability.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Being a brand new platform the first 10k miles should still be a good indicator of if there are any bugs that need to be worked out. Small issues that turn up more frequently vs the random catastrophic engine failure.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you please stop spamming Jaguar owners? I remember you were annoying on XJ forum too.

Also, if we want reliability info, JD Power does a great job.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member

Not only are there not enough vehicles signed up, but there haven't been enough miles put on these cars to give an accurate representation of their reliability. We cannot say a car is good or bad based on 10,000 miles per car. The whole warranty period must be examined at a minimum to make a claim of reliability.
I agree with your observations on mileage and time, but there have to be enough vehicles in the database, and it's also a lot more complicated than that. There are substantial differences between the base, V6S, V8S, and Rs, in terms of electronics and equipage in addition to the obvious engine differences. One reasonable theory might be the base car being more reliable than the others because of it's relative system simplicity and lower power output compared to the rest. However, without enough data points in all F-Type variants, it's impossible to draw those conclusions. Lumping all F models together also leads to imprecise inferences.

Lastly, I wouldn't be so quick to condemn Michael for trying to provide more informative reliability analyses than one gets from JD Power and the rest. Obviously, he has to hustle to make owners of all types aware of True Delta, sign up, and report in order to get to that goal.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:07 PM

Thanks for putting a good word in, Foosh. Some people are always quick to condemn. I suppose I should understand, as I've been accused of being a critical person myself

The great majority of the time the powertrains offered in a car don't differ much in reliability. When they do differ, we split them. If a particular system is largely responsible for a car's problems, we note it.

We cover cars continuously, with quarterly updates from when they're new to when they're 15 years old. We release far more information than anyone else, including every repair description. We provide not only numerical average repair frequencies--which no one else does--but also the percentages of cars with no repairs and those with 3+ repair trips.

If someone would rather have information that only covers the first 90 days and the third year (not even the entire warranty period, and nothing beyond it), and only with dots, not numerical scores, and that combines design issues (a cupholder that doesn't hold cups well) with mechanical issues, then head on over to J.D. Power.

For anyone who wants to help provide better information, I'll keep busting my butt like I have for the past ten years.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

I just added my car.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

I do not receive my car until December. Can I join now?

Old 10-10-2014, 05:29 PM

Sure. I haven't yet added the F-Type to the main survey, and will add it starting with the January round, at the earliest.

Your current car is likely in the survey, so it could also be helpful to sign up with it.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:36 PM

So far 17 owners have signed up--much better than I expected given the small number of F-Types. But this is split across two model years, so not yet enough to include them in the survey. Because the 2015s are pro-rated, that year is closest, only a few short of the moving minimum.

Join TrueDelta

Old 11-14-2014, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Michael,

Since 14's were only produced in about half a model year, and since there were no spec. changes between the model years, it makes sense to me to combine them for the purpose of your survey.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:17 PM

I've done this before when the first year was a partial one.

What month did the 2014s first reach dealers?

Old 11-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

It appears I was wrong. According to the chart in this link, it appears the first F-Types were sold in the U.S. in May 2013. However, there aren't any spec differences between the two model years.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...er-capture.jpg

Quick Reply: Jaguar F-Type reliability - better info