General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ford/Jaguar WDS Genrad GDS3500

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by aston-jag
Hi,

I am going to use the WDS on a 2000 DB7 Vantage Volante.

So I am quite happy with the slow running but working WDS.
I totally understand what you mean......patience is required with WDS. You are usually rewarded though, it works rather well.

Good luck!

Old 02-24-2013, 11:10 AM
RST
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi , Mech´s

I am a owner of the Ford WDS with the "W98 Splash Screen Hang up fail " .
Can anybody help me to get this prob done ?
I can offer copys of all Ford WDS cd in return.
Please Help me i need the WDS desperately.

Greetz from Germany !

RST

Old 07-25-2013, 12:47 AM

help me! I have a Ford unit wds, I bought it damaged to repair the system on hdd, broken screen during repair windows system 98 fell into German. writes in Polish. I am a novice so your fasting, I found answers to my questions. I elect. Also I can help. I reckon that could be made ​​available to transfer a video CD to reinstall the system again, in English or Polish welcome! Most dealers in Poland seems to have abandoned the WDS and representatives now and do not sell this equipment!
mialczak@gmail.com

Can anyone help?

through

Old 07-29-2013, 04:58 PM

Hello,
my name is Michael.
We urgently need a disk image or CD to my WDS to Jaguar.
If someone would be good enough to help me I will be very grateful.
My mail "michal.1906 @ op.pl"
Regards

Old 07-29-2013, 05:40 PM

Note is on the way.....

Old 08-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Default WDS questions:

This seemed like the best place to post. I have a (generally) working WDS.
1. Where can a buy a replacement battery? or what exact type of batteries do I need to buy to make my own battery pack with existing parts from the original battery pack.
2. Memory to upgrade WDS - I have bought 3 different types of memory with correct specs to no avail from different sources (at least they were cheap at approximately $10 each). Does anyone know of an exact source of memory that works with these WDS's... preferably the web address and exact product number of memory that works with these picky systems?
Thanks.

Last edited by Red1bw; 08-07-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:01 AM

Hi Bill,

This may be the best source for battery replacement if you are not into soldering etc. Akkuplus.de - Akku leer? Kein Problem! - Akkupack fr GenRad GDS 3500 - 9,6 Volt Ni-MH zum Selbsteinbau 6080

I hope this may help you,
Robert

Old 09-09-2013, 08:10 PM

Hello I'm Andrea from Italy
I need the disk ghost + the installation cd for my wds jaguar
someone I can 'help?
thanks

Old 10-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my WDS working perfect on my XK8 (04) and have also used this on my 95 XJR6 and is great. I know these models are OBDII and have read before that the WDS unit was going to be also OBD but never was ? The question I have is with my 94.75 6l XJS V12 vin number 195xxx . This car talks to my jaguar PDU fine and just wondered if the WDS should also work with this model / year XJs . When I put a vin in below 195xxx the unit does nothing but when I put my vin in it displays XJS 94.75 and looks like it should be able to read the engine and gearbox ecu. The menu says connect the cable but can not see what cable it would need. The wds seams to try to read the ecu as the ALARM led fashes but then the WS just displays error.

The two cables I have is 203 and the other cable is a later blue end one and need to check the number but both the same results. The fact the WDS knows the VIN ref for my XJS is this all it will do or have I just got the wrong cable ? My XJS 94.75 MY has the sixteen pin OBD socket but will not have as many pins as my XK8 or X300 cars .

Any members help with this ? I know older models than the 195xxx XJS would never work but think my year of XJS may with the right cable or a modded cable

Old 10-11-2013, 03:57 PM

Can you PM me your full last six digits of the VIN?

Old 10-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I was at the dealer when the WDS was shipped to us as the NEW diagnostic tool in the late 1990s. It came with the connectors for the XJ40 and XJS (Both styles of the round plug in the engine compartment or the boot) as well as the B203 and were promised that software was to follow.

IT NEVER HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We used PDU for the older cars until it failed and then WDS was replaced by IDS.

I still use my WDS for X300, X308, X100, X200, X400 and OBDII XJS.

I am still on the lookout for a PDU.

bob gauff

Old 10-14-2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by 540itouring
I have my WDS working perfect on my XK8 (04) and have also used this on my 95 XJR6 and is great. I know these models are OBDII and have read before that the WDS unit was going to be also OBD but never was ? The question I have is with my 94.75 6l XJS V12 vin number 195xxx . This car talks to my jaguar PDU fine and just wondered if the WDS should also work with this model / year XJs . When I put a vin in below 195xxx the unit does nothing but when I put my vin in it displays XJS 94.75 and looks like it should be able to read the engine and gearbox ecu. The menu says connect the cable but can not see what cable it would need. The wds seams to try to read the ecu as the ALARM led fashes but then the WS just displays error.

The two cables I have is 203 and the other cable is a later blue end one and need to check the number but both the same results. The fact the WDS knows the VIN ref for my XJS is this all it will do or have I just got the wrong cable ? My XJS 94.75 MY has the sixteen pin OBD socket but will not have as many pins as my XK8 or X300 cars .

Any members help with this ? I know older models than the 195xxx XJS would never work but think my year of XJS may with the right cable or a modded cable
Ok, David, you and your car are in a sort-of OBD limbo; and there isn't much you can do about it.
Technically the 1994 model year for XJS was considered to be VIN's 188105-194774, that's not you. Some are aware that at the time, that is, 1993-1995, Jaguar had a glut of V12's, both XJS and sedans. They couldn't give 'em away. The OBDII mandate was looming for 1996, and you had a situation where the AJ16 went OBDII in 1995 but the XJS was still OBDI that year. In fact other than the fuel pump setup in the fuel tank, the V12 XJS was the same for 1994 and 1995. There is where the OBD connector thing gets in the way. Your car has the OBDII connector, but not the [what was] normal, OBDI connector back at the RH tail light area like the 1994.
So, because of the glut if 12 cyls., it appears Jaguar took what were to be early 1995 models and made them 1994 VIN's. My understanding is there was some advantage in skirting some 1995 regs by ID'ing them as 1994 models. Not to mention some sort of financial advantage to writing off some of the value loss as unsold carryover 1994 models.

WDS did not ever connect to OBDI cars, as they had originally intended, as we even had some of the cables they were gonna use. Never happened. That's why you won't ever get WDS to help you with this car. Your only option is to use PDU, and lie to it by using a valid, but earlier VIN number. Obviously the diagnostic software has some serious lead time over the actual production, so it already was setup with what was SUPPOSED TO BE the start of the 1995 model year. That is where your car is, VIN limbo, as far as the diagnostic equipment is concerned.

Hard to follow, I know, but I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 10-14-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:05 PM

Ok Steve , thanks for all your research and a good job I have a working jaguar PDU system. That explains my vin number problem as well !

Old 10-25-2013, 05:38 AM
Thumbs up gds3500 HDD broken

Originally Posted by thomas1a
Hello There...
...nice to meet you all here in the "Genrad GDS3500" owners club

:: I have one too

I can confirm the BIOS Password for Genrad 3500 WDS System is: dmwhjw (...yesss! ..thankyou zizip..)

First i replaced the accu Cells with 4300 mAh ones, wich works very well; I used Ni-MH Sub-C Cells 4300mAh 1.2V (cheap and working well); With this mod i got 800 mAh more power in the PDU and all fits into the battery compartment! The accu lasts 2 hours of working then...

I have made a HDD Image of my working german Ford WDS system, and i have a few Ford WDS Discs here if someone needs anything...

At the moment iam installing JAG WDS...hope this will work well

My next tasks:
- Adding 256MB RAM
- Updating to WIn98SE
- Installing PCMCIA WLAN Card for Win98SE
- Adding network Printer over Wlan
- Installing CF Card as Boot device
- Installing VNC Server to work on the car while sitting on the Desktop PC
- Changing Boot Screen to a picture wich shows "Jaguar Diagnostics" or something (..this will be really cool!!!)
- Installing a 2nd custom battery into the HDD compartment, after putting the system CF-card inside the unit...

__________________________________________________ ___

Boot Logo first quick and dirty try ... will be downloadable here s00n...

Hello, i'm new here, and very pleased with opinions and "spirit of helpfulness". I have on gsd3500 wich have one of the best oscilloscope for automotive. Sometimet instead of disgnostic machine, i find the trouble based on it. Unfortunatelythe HDD broke and I can't install a new system properly. Can you send me the HDD image?

Old 10-26-2013, 01:11 PM

I was doing some more work on my spare faulty wds unit that comes up with a fault code when I test the interface pcb . This is the smaller panel mounted on the rear half of the case under the larger pcb. The fault is displayed with the diagnostic plug fitted but I think the system still works but would have liked to cure the fault code. The other two wds units work fine so I swapped pcbs and proved the error code is down to a fault on this board. The fact that the wds works with this error it can not be a large problem but not a easy board to work on. This board does have two relays on and wondered if it may just be a dirty contact in one of them but no way to know from this error code. Does any one know what tests the socket does during the tests with ST210 diagnostic plug fitted ? This unit is only a spare but have cured many faults so far including rebuilding the switched mode power unit in the docking station. The main PCB in the faulty wds is 275Mhz and one of the other working units is 245Mhz so was thinking of swapping the main boards over to make two wds units of 275mhz. Does any one know of a error code list and what they mean ? or details of what the st210 tests that are done during the test ? The interface test passes the test but the ST210 test FAILS with the error code. Both of the other units do the same test and PASS is Displayed every time.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what software is needed for a 1997 Jagaur XJR

Old 07-25-2014, 02:56 PM

Any Jaguar WDS software level will work on the 1997 model.

The following users liked this post:
sartimowich (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What cable do I need for jaguar?

Old 08-01-2014, 07:48 AM
Received 330 Likes on 185 Posts

Does anybody have a spares for WDS? On mine the invertor (small PCM) has failed, so there's no backlight. Sure i can go a LED backlight route, but i'd like to keep it in a stock condition

Old 10-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I have a WDS scanner w/ Jaguar 43 SW for sale in the classifieds.

Quick Reply: Ford/Jaguar WDS Genrad GDS3500