Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Leather Stain ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Stain ??

Okay.. I'm not sure if its from my Gel or Hair Spray, but left a pretty glassy residue left on my leather headrest. Definitely from my hair.. maybe hair oil? Looks like one patch of

Old 05-09-2011, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I have just moved your thread , hopefully you will get replies from experts . Just in case you can also go to Detailing Forums and see FAQ sticky at the top of the forum's page and ask Dave . He is an expert

Old 09-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default New leather for an old lady

My 2005 XKR has parchment Recaro Racing Seats. Mostly the driver's seat but some on the other, there are the cracks you get on leather. I read
Dean Roger's excellent treatise on leather repair, but think maybe new leather altogether would be nice. The first price I got , from a Milwaukee Wisconsin business that caters to high end auto upholstery, was $1,800 to do the 2 Recaro seats. What do the members think? Is this a good price? Does Recaro furnish these covers themselves? Thanks for any help.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinsuk
Okay.. I'm not sure if its from my Gel or Hair Spray, but left a pretty glassy residue left on my leather headrest. Definitely from my hair.. maybe hair oil? Looks like one patch of
Lightly rub with micro fibre cloth and warm soapy water, it should come out.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Arland Green
My 2005 XKR has parchment Recaro Racing Seats. Mostly the driver's seat but some on the other, there are the cracks you get on leather. I read
Dean Roger's excellent treatise on leather repair, but think maybe new leather altogether would be nice. The first price I got , from a Milwaukee Wisconsin business that caters to high end auto upholstery, was $1,800 to do the 2 Recaro seats. What do the members think? Is this a good price? Does Recaro furnish these covers themselves? Thanks for any help.
That sounds expensive, maybe shop around for a better price, and don't mention they came out of a Jag, just a pair of recaro's...the price can be effected by the manufacturer by a big margin....just a tip

I guess cost would be for the leather itself - you can buy the real Connolly from here - a full hide should do it
http://www.ukhide.co.uk/automotive/

Last edited by Sean B; 09-16-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Talking Sean B- Great tip

The link you gave me handles the Connelly hides and the one I need is 45 square feet at 7.95 pounds/ft2- about 540 USD. So- now it is the labor rate on the sewing and I'll be in biz, unless I try to use the latex stuff and see, but will likely do the hide. Thank you.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:25 PM

Sean- I'm so pleased with your advice. The UK Hide Company sent me swatches and they had the exact product used by JAG and Recaro for my car. I'm going to order at least one hide, but maybe should buy two. They are 43-45 square feet per hide. I just do not know how much is required. The leather areas on the recaros are the bolsters and upper and lower seating areas. All of the back shell is polymeric. My upholstery guy said one hide will do, but I'm not sure and do not know how to measure it, He said if I furnish the leather, he'll charge between 250 and 350 per seat. That is 5 to 7 hundred USD and one hide will be $340.00 US from UK hides. This is a thanks, but if you have any sage wisdom for me lay it on me. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member

A very rough way of getting the area you need is to use a measured piece of paper or material, say 1ftx1ft square. Place it on one seat and mark it with chalk until you've completely covered the seat and add up the area. Once you have that rough area figure, double it and you should have the figure you require to order the hide(s).

Of course it's nice to have too much than too little! with spare hide you can add leather A/B posts, or sun visors or footwell kick panels etc etc....your choice!
Hope this helps

Old 04-11-2013, 01:22 AM
Default Found a upholsterer

I found an upholsterer who can redo my Recaros in the original leather off the hide I got from UK Hide for $400 per seat. So. that on top of the 500 odd dollars charged by UK Hide will get me in there at less than $1,000 dollars, and this guy is good- he had a Rolls in there just done and it was superb. I am sending this because I promised several of you I would.

A real JAG fan, Arland Green

Old 05-17-2013, 11:06 PM

Tomorrow at 1600 hours I get to pick up my car with the fresh seat upholstery. I am excited to see what it will look like and feel like, as they have freshened the padding too. Also, they found almost $50 in bills and small change that had fallen under the seats and were honest enough to tell me about it. Thanks again to Sean B for the link to UK Hide and the advice.